Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Gabe213

The streak continues

Hit up LJ this morning hopeful of landing another yellowtail, upon arrival I was debating turning around and going home. There were 4' waves braking 40-50' out and the wind was blowing. My ass had on shorts and a t-shirt(I forgot my sweater), I new it was going to be a cold day but said f-it! I timed it as best as I could and went for it, about 50' out thinking I was in the clear here comes one of those now 5' waves. I thought I was done! I peddled my ass off and managed to go over it as it was breaking, looking back I was amazed on how many people were charging these waves.

Once out bait was easy to make, a mix of greenbacks and spanish macks. Five minutes into trolling a mack I see yellows blowing up on red crabs, I threw the surface iron and trolled right threw them for no love. The next two hours was spent trolling up and down some big ass swells. To be honest after that I was done, I had gone to the corner and south quite a bit.

I decided it was time to go back in as the weather was only getting worse, easy 10' swells. On the way in about 70' of water my reel started singing that favorite song of ours zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! This thing dumped 3/4 of my spool in one run, the best thing was feeling the spectra saw threw the kelp three different times. My new personal best 32lb, I tied everything down and headed in.

As I was approaching the surf I could see that the waves were still there, with my cheeks puckered I proceeded. Checked everything again and went for it, made it pretty close to have a wave catch me and nose dive my pro angler. You guys know the rest, only lost an iron and a few weights. My yellowtail was half way out the front hatch, I was stoked to see everything was in tact and my fish still there. Once on the beach I couldn't help but sit back and enjoy all the chaos. I saw a couple on a tandem charge the waves, they hit a pretty big wave the front was almost vertical. This chick rolled back over her boyfriend and was gone! The best was seeing a kayak come in surfing a wave perfectly with nobody home, I'm sorry but I was laughing my ass off poor guy was a good 60' out. I'm Fucking rolling just thinking about it! Be safe guys!

I did meet a cool cat on shore, sorry I'm not good with names unless you have well you now(female). We both played it safe and stayed within sight of each other most of the day.

Last edited by Gabe213; 05-20-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Gabe213 is offline   Reply With Quote