Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
fishtuna2004
Junior

Send a message via Yahoo to fishtuna2004
Fishing the kite at La Jolla?

Launched at 6:00, easy launch..no waves.Went west to the kelp,could not make bait.So I asked a power boater if he could spare some.He gave me a half dozen denes,nice guy!I Trolled the first one for a small bonie.P ut another one on and it produced a fat barrie.Put the third one on and thought I got picked up again as my clicker was screaming, turned to look at my line and saw a gull flying away with my bait dangling from its beak. I pulled it free and started to retrive it to see if it was ok.A couple secs into the retrive wammo I'm slamed! A screaming first run told me it was the right kind. A couple of more runs then that terrible feeling....wraped in the kelp.I pulled and pulled to no avail,free spool for a while back to tug-o-war at least 4-5 times.This is over the course of about 20 mins.Then looking down into the water next to the yak I see some kelp stringers close to the surface.I put my reel in free spool with the clicker on,put the pole under my leg.Grabed my gaff and hooked the kelp next to the boat.Then pulled about 50 ft of kelp up.So now I had a 6' bowl of salad next to my boat....then a fat tail apeared.Woohoo I might just win this battle after all!I tried to grab the tail ,then gaff the fish.Too much lettuce in the way . So I asked a power boater that was close by if they would help.They asked what I had,I told them about a 25 lb yellow.They came over to assist but we still had trouble seeing the fish it would apear then dissapear under the kelp.Finally I saw the fish close to me but too far for them to get it so I handed them my pole and grabbed their 6' gaff.Got lucky on the first shot in the head!!Pulled it up took the hook out,and cut my line so it would pull through the kelp.Then they took a couple of pics.Gave them back their gaff,and got my pole back.I then thanked them so much for their help and was on my way.Now I decieded that I would give the bonie I caught to the first boater that had given me the denes.I paddled over to that boat asked them if they wanted the bonie and showed them what the bait they gave me produced. They said sure we'll take the bonie and told me beautyfull yellow.I thanked them again for the bait that made my day and headed in.When I weighed the fish at home it was 24lbs. Pic to follow later.
fishtuna2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Dan

Congrats. Now that is what I call teamwork. Great story.

Last edited by Dan; 08-31-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: baad spelin
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
SHARK BAIT

NICE DAYS AND NICE PEOPLE, ALL GOOD
SHARK BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
T-Rex

Always nice to get help when needed! Congrats on the nice !
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Welcome to BWE! Always love readin fish stories with happy endings
Old 08-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
crzyboy180
Junior

Guess, we all CAN get along. I love these kinda stories.
Joe
crzyboy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
h2ofishfo

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh what a love story pb'ers & yakers flesh ala mesh ha
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
GBF

Nice day, fish, help and wating for the pictures!!!!

Congrats ........you worked for that one!

GBF