Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Skin cancer

This my yearly reminder to wear sunscreen. I'm on my 3rd and 4th basal cell carcinomas. Not very dangerous, but the procedures suck. #3 was just removed from inside my ear. Very painful. I need to take my own advice. Maybe carry it in my yak as I usually don't remember until the sun comes out.

Wear sunscreen folks!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I usually cover myself up...minus my legs and my feet...yeah I know how stupid...

I just absolutely hate sunscreen...and on my last offshore excursion, my legs turned black on me... ! My last couple of trips I have covered my legs and feet with sunscreen...and it sucks but ...Who knows how long I can get away with it without getting stuff cut off of me...?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Amish Ed

I too hate sunscreen. Makes me feel sweaty and gross. I wear a big hat, shoes, pants and long sleeve shirt year round. It took a while just getting used to those. How long can you go without cutting things off? I'm 45 and it's getting pretty regular.

Good news is I just got a text from my doctor. The ear one was benign. Not too often when you like the doctor to be wrong.

Last edited by Amish Ed; 08-28-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Amish Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Cbad Mike

Great reminder!
I really need to get into the habit of using sunscreen and covering up better.

If I could add.....
It is extremely important to protect your eyes from sun damage also.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Definitely need good eye wear too. I've used bad glasses in the past. Killed my night vision every time I went out.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Good warning, when we are young, we think we are invincible, and might pay for it years later. I had Clarks level 2 malenoma removed 18 years ago, knock on wood, no irregular moles since then. I always cover up ever since then. I have always hated the feel of sunscreen and prefer high SPF clothes. Furthermore, the incidents of skin cancer have greatly increased since the invention of sunscreen...makes one wonder if it is giving a false sense of protection.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
DCS
Junior

Good message.

I was looking at paddling pants a few days ago. To those who wear paddling pants: Do they breathe good and make you not feel like you're wearing a sauna suit?
DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
Fishin' Magician

I lost the top part of my ear due to melanoma. Not sure how or when I got it, but I did and I had to have it removed. The only way they could do it..., remove the whole top of the ear off. I am now totally covered from head to foot when I'm on the water. I even wear fishing gloves. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:49 AM   #9
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCS View Post
Good message.

I was looking at paddling pants a few days ago. To those who wear paddling pants: Do they breathe good and make you not feel like you're wearing a sauna suit?
I work out pants. They are light weight, keep the sun out, and easy to pull down and take a leak. Plus a lot cheaper than paddling pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Magician View Post
I lost the top part of my ear due to melanoma. Not sure how or when I got it, but I did and I had to have it removed. The only way they could do it..., remove the whole top of the ear off. I am now totally covered from head to foot when I'm on the water. I even wear fishing gloves. Better safe than sorry.
Wow, that's what I feared would happen to me.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
MrPatrick

I wear pants from Bass Pro. They zip off into shorts for the drive home and BSing at the launch.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Murray

I have also been looking for inexpensive clothing protection for arms and legs.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
Johnp

Pants, buffs, and even socks for me. Remember if your face is not covered you are getting the reflection off the water, even with that wide hat. Any body have info on the best sunblock out there ? Another thing I noticed is even with a,long sleeve shirt on I got a,burn one hot day because it was not spf rated. I think the company rit makes a powder you can mix into your wash, that gives your clothes an spf for many washings?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #13
HobieScot

Skin cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
I wear pants from Bass Pro. They zip off into shorts for the drive home and BSing at the launch.

X2

I have pants that are similar. Same style but these don't absorb water so they stay dry all day. I take a wave over the bow and the water just splashes off the pants.

I do wear a long sleeve SPF shirt that breathes so I stay cool all day.

If it's really hot I wear a t shirt and a pair of spf 50 sleeves that have a thumbhole so they also cover the tops of my hands

The only thing that is exposed are my ankles that I slather with sunblock and my face which never seems to get burnt with the boonie type hat I wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
Pants, buffs, and even socks for me. Remember if your face is not covered you are getting the reflection off the water, even with that wide hat. Any body have info on the best sunblock out there ? Another thing I noticed is even with a,long sleeve shirt on I got a,burn one hot day because it was not spf rated. I think the company rit makes a powder you can mix into your wash, that gives your clothes an spf for many washings?

This season I've been using a bottle of sunblock that I got at the Fred hall show as a sample from hobie with the hobie brand on it

Not sure of the actual brand but I like it because it's not oily or greasy. It dries quick and doesn't leave that slimy oily feeling that a lot of them do

Old 08-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
svendawg

Sun block

I find myself avoiding sunblock on my face because i burns my eyes when I sweat. Anybody know of a non-tearing sunblock.

I cover up completely,
Hat, buff, SPF L/S shirt, long quick drying pants, socks and sun gloves.
I've been treated for melanoma and had several pieces of skin cut off including a big chunk off my chest, so I don't take any chances anymore/
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

I'm a Cancer survivor

Growing up looking like Casper the Friendly Ghost, I required sunscreen, and many times did not use it and went home from fishing looking like Rudolph. So as I grew up and grew somewhat smarter I started using the best sunscreens I could buy that would not come off while surfing, fishing, or anything else I did out in the sun. One problem, there were places that I didn't think to apply it, and I got cancer.

A couple of years ago I had 2 cancerous cysts removed from behind my left ear. Initially I thought it was from not cleaning behind my ears well enough, but after 2 weeks of using Alcohol and washing them really well and the sores not going away, I went to the doctor. A couple days later I want in for surgery. As you can imagine there isn't much skin behind the ears, so the sores went in deep. As you can see from the pictures they had to cut thru my left ear to get part of it out. I'm telling you now throw pride right out the window, and use hats that cover, sunscreen in all places that the sun may hit, and wash your hands after so it doesn't effect the bait you are using to fish with.

Cancer sucks, do what you can to prevent this type of it.
Not that anyone cares about what I say, but at least try and protect yourselves.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 08-30-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
HobieScot

Skin cancer

Thanks Amish Ed and Jimmyz123 for reminding us all that we need to take care to cover up out there. Especially the areas we don't think about

Old 08-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #18
King Saba

The only proven sunscreens that work are physical block types. And, yes those are the thick white pasty types that leave you looking like a ghost. I use ones that have titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or a combo of both. For it to work you have reapply often, about every 1.5hrs. I've been using Banana boat. Hope this helps.

While we're still on the topic, does anyone have any reccomendations for boots or socks that have a high SPF rating? I'm not blessed with $$$ so something in the $30 range or less would be awesome. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Boat-Su...boat+sunscreen

http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Boat-Na...kids+sunscreen

I've been using both and the yellow bottle one seems to work better. It's much thicker, but it does work. The green bottle one doesn't leave a thick pasty feeling, but I've had a few trips where it didn't work quite as well.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
Amish Ed

For those using buffs... How are they when it gets hot out. I could see using one in the winter, but summer time not so much.

Jimmy, glad it wasn't worse. My nose has to be done soon. Hopefully it's an easy small job. My 1st one on my face took 60 stitches.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #20
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
For those using buffs... How are they when it gets hot out. I could see using one in the winter, but summer time not so much.

Jimmy, glad it wasn't worse. My nose has to be done soon. Hopefully it's an easy small job. My 1st one on my face took 60 stitches.
We just have to remember not to be lazy when it comes to putting on sunscreen. I know most of those spray on versions are not that the wonderful, but I have one now that actually works really well.

I too have avoided the buffs just because I don't like covering my face unless it's like freezing out. I know some would say I should do so regularly I just don't like to.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote