Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

Question about Hobies

With everything that we do whether it be peddling or paddling our kayaks there's always got to be an upside and a downside to everything. With paddling we all know the shoulders, back, and wrists sometimes feel the pain from the day out. Is this also true with Hobies in anyway? Surely not with the shoulders, but after a long day on the water do you feel pain or anything in your hips, knees, legs, or anything?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

only my arse, but I suffer from a medical condition called nofatarsetocushion.
I made a pad a few weeks back and seems to be helping.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
KatFish

My knees get soar but it doesn't last long. When I was paddleing my right shoulder was in alot of pain. Actually it was in pain until last week the doc gave me a cortisone shot it my bursa. It feels much better now! So yes I'd chose peddle or paddle any day! Hope this helped.
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
only my arse, but I suffer from a medical condition called nofatarsetocushion.
I made a pad a few weeks back and seems to be helping.
I know this one. When I bought my last Kayak there was a gel seat cushion the previous owner included with the sale, an that was the key for a comfy ride, so that did not get sold with my Kayak.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
My knees get soar but it doesn't last long. When I was paddleing my right shoulder was in alot of pain. Actually it was in pain until last week the doc gave me a cortisone shot it my bursa. It feels much better now! So yes I'd chose peddle or paddle any day! Hope this helped.
My shoulder sometimes hurts but that was caused from baseball when I was a kid. Once I warm up I'm fine, but I can see how some may give up the paddling for peddling due to shoulder pain. Personally I love the peace of paddling and the upper body workout I get. I totally respect the Peddling kayaks and think they are great, but I'll be sticking to the Paddling.

Good luck Catfishing today.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 08-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
RockyRaab

My pet peeve again: "Peddling" means selling door-to-door.

If my knees get sore while PEDALING, I know I've been allowing my legs to spread too far. Keeping my legs straighter immediately relieves that. Raising the seat of my PA14 4" helped a lot with that, too. Getting my knees below shoulder height made a huge difference.

Otherwise, PEDALING a Hobie takes less effort than walking, IMO. Much less than biking. I can troll for five+ hours and feel very little fatigue.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
KatFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post

If my knees get sore while PEDALING, I know I've been allowing my legs to spread too far. Keeping my legs straighter immediately relieves that. Raising the seat of my PA14 4" helped a lot with that, too. Getting my knees below shoulder height made a huge difference.

Otherwise, PEDALING a Hobie takes less effort than walking, IMO. Much less than biking. I can troll for five+ hours and feel very little fatigue.
PEDALING!
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
bigbarrels

right knee has been becoming sore this year......thought I was just getting old but maybe it's a position thing......if I'm not kayak fishing I'm on my MTB and so my knees get a bit overused......hands free fishing is well worth it
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post

Thanks for the correction.

PEDALING, and paddling(I checked, it's correct) have their ups and downs just the same.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
packeryakker

The only soreness I experience is a sore ass after a long day on water, I cut a custom cushion to fit over the stock Hobe seat and it has helped a lot.
packeryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

when i paddle.. my back (and sometimes shoulders) start aching. my arse starts to get numb because i have a crappy seat. and my legs start to lose blood circulation due to the fact that i cant move around much to get blood to them. i'm sure a hobie with a well padded seat will leave you feeling MUCH better at the end of the day compared to a paddle yak.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
PEDALING!
Funny my spell check didn't highlight that. Added. PEDALING to it now.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Personally I love the peace of paddling .
I agree. I switched to a Hobie Outback a while back and after a day on the water I no longer have the relaxed feeling I did after a day of paddling. I am however pushing my third shoulder surgery and see it as a necessary evil. I just take my wifes WS Tarpon out when I need a stress relief paddle.

What I have noticed is after a long day in the Hobie the next day my lower back is very tight, I think its from having my legs up so high while pedaling. Maybe if I had a higher perch like a PA it wouldn't be as bad.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
echo1er

I have no pain. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
I have no pain. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
That's kind of a sharp, shooting pain right?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
mtnbykr2

Hey missed ya this weekend, maybe the next time huh...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
Jonesyak

First time I spent about 8 hours on the water pedaling around, at landing I tried to jump out of the yak in less than 2 feet of water. My legs buckled under me and I almost let the yak flip in the surf 3 or 4 times before the feeling came back to my legs lol.

I am a pretty fit person, I just don’t abuse my thighs and calves on a regular basis, this was the first time I experienced jello legs, and perfectly at the wrong time.

For the record, Hobies rocks! I feel bad for everyone I see fighting the current and wind with their little paddle.

Tight lines!!
-Aaron
Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Neither.

mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
mtnbykr2

I did something like that at the baby beach in DP, tide went up thought I was in two feet, jumped out into six....lol funny as hell, with waders on, what a dumba$$...lol
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
warrior

just got my outback

I've been paddling for about 5 years and just recently switched to an Outback. I have 4 trips and haven't felt anything major; I too have bad knees from my mountain biking days; football; track; martial arts, etc, etc, etc. I think once you learn to relax your peddle, just like a bike, it is a very comfortable ride.

I'm not as sore from my knees or legs peddling as I was from my shoulders, wrists and upper back when I paddled.

I can honestly say, that the soreness from either, is not enough from keeping me from venturing out, so which ever you chose; fish and be happy.
With a prayer in my mouth I dashed unarmed through a line of soldiers my clothes were cut to pieces my horse was wounded but I was not hurt, as I reached the door of my lodge my wife handed me my rifle saying "here's your gun...fight"

The great Chief Joseph
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote