Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #21
FISHIONADO

Dang, I thought the boiling calicos were going to be a nuisance, it might be the yellows. lol I rigged up a couple of 8" slugs Corey Sanden weedless style, looking forward to seeing how they work for big bass or big bycatch.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #22
lamb

The trip is a go...

It's just going to be an ultra light load...

Great for us going since we're in it for fun...

Not that great for Islander and OEX, as they're in it to make a living.

I have a feeling this trip will be epic.

But keep in mind I'm always overly optimistic... lol
Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #23
Dennis

Good Luck, Guys. It should be fun... I wish I could go.

Dave,
Have you fished the weedless slugs at La Jolla, yet?
-Dennis
Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #24
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohloe1 View Post
Dave, Have you fished the weedless slugs at La Jolla, yet?
I tried one last month but didn't have a big enough spring to anchor the hook, I used one out of a ball point pen, and it came apart quickly. I saw Sanden at the Day at the Docks on Sunday and he showed me how to rig it again, I picked up bigger springs at a hardware store (about the size of your little finger and then cut in half). Seaforth has the 8/0 hooks that Sanden recommends. He drags it right over the floating kelp and says the calicos just explode out of the water.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #25
cabojohn
PROBATION

Sorry I had to bail on this trip and leave you guys short one. If you guys end up short I will split the costs. Fishing should be ON, you guys gotta go!

Been called for duty, this weekend is the annual biker fest at Laughlin, NV. We will be on pastie patrol at the Sand Bar or Copper Canyon...were expecting a lot of action.

Pics will follow!
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #26
Corey

"Pastie Patrol"? Sounds like a lousy time, John.

I've got a couple of those MC slugs. All I 've caught on 'em so far is a sculpin on the dropshot at Tortuga Island. I'll have to give em a try tomorrow. That is if the yellows don't keep us busy all day. Hopefully we won't have time to bass fish.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #27
Pat

Still biting!!!!
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #28
madscientist

All fish and weather reports look great. Heading out of work now, probably be down there around 7:00. Brent said he'll be down around 7:30. See everyone at the boat.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #29
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Have fun guys.... I hope you guys kill em!
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #30
EZ Glider

how was it?

I am scheduled to go in 2 weeks and wondering how it went. Even if the YT did not show what did you end up with?
EZ Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #31
Mr_PeaCH

EZ - I would bet that the fishing will never again be as slow there as it was for us. For whatever reason, 15 kayak anglers could not get much of anything to go. Fortunately (for our egos anyway) the rest of the fleet (and there were many sport and private boats in the area all day) was having a deadly slow time of it as well. But we couldn't even get much of a bass bite going and conditions were about as good as they could be. The area is clearly prime fishing grounds for all sorts of critters but it just was not to be.

That being said, you should definately roll the dice and go. I heard a lot of good things about the Islander and the crew and the overall experience before going and was prepared to take it with a grain of salt. But having been I'm a true believer now; this is a first-class operation and was simply a fantastic experience from start to finish; the poor fish count notwithstanding.

So take the whole quiver; your bait gear, your irons, your bass gear, your plastics and just be prepared to go with the flow. You're never too far from the boat that you can't just go back and swap out your gear, reload on bait, or use the head or grab another beverage and snack from the kitchen; it's like flying first-class for kayak anglers, the best of all worlds.

Also, if it starts to blow a little hard mid-afternoon don't let them lift your kayak on board; chances are it will die down for a couple more hours before sundown... I'm still kicking myself for calling it quits early but then again I am an old man.
Mr_PeaCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #32
EZ Glider

My son & I are really looking forward to the trip. Just currious what to expect as we have not been on a trip like this before. Thanks for your input. Our trip is scheduled for Mothers day weekend, so I hope they get enough to go. I have the good fortune to have a wife who understands it's only a day, and ballanced against having her son/husband spend some quality time it is an easy decision.
EZ Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #33
cioppino

wow, sorry to hear about the slow fishing. It sounded like things were setting up to be wide open.

At least you got to experience a long range operation. Plush accomadations, quality crew, and great food. Good fishing is just icing on the cake and is usually the norm on those trips. Next time.

cant wait to see some pics!
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote