Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
cobra
Junior

Rosarito

I'm going to be sending a lot of time in Rosarito this summer and I'm wondering where there are some good places to get out in a Kayak.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
pbb

I spent a week with family in Rosarito last August.

I fished la Bufadora (south end of Ensenada) with Linglifter, who was living down that way for about a year.

We both got nice YT and there were big Bonito pretty much wide open, too.

That's an area with a cold upwelling, so supposed to be good for Lings in fairly shallow waters, but I was happy with the YT.

You can launch on a very step "paved" ramp at la Bufadora, enter the lot right across the street from the Oxxo. They charge $10 per vehicle (we had both yaks on my car). There is a protected cove with kelp, and we made bait right outside the kelp, and then dragged them flyline slow troll north.

There are some places further south that you are supposed to be able to launch free, but they are only accessible by dirt roads.

Closer to Rosarito, you can launch from Popotla. also protected cove, commercial panga fishing village. You can park on the beach if your vehicle will get you back off the sand. There is also kelp there. It should be possible to make bait and then W and NW is the Rosarito Flats, which is good YT fishing. Sometimes private boaters come down passed the Coronados and the Rockpile to fish there.

I didn't fish from Popotla, but I did go out for a short paddle with my wife in the tandem, as a sort of proof of concept/exploration.

I'd be interested in come down and have someone to fish with at Popotla some time on a weekend. It's pretty close to SD, so I figure it is basically day trip material for me.