Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #41
GregAndrew

I want to change my mind on TJones 2nd pic now. Being sideways, I did not notice the jagged bottom, just the jagged fish arches. Apparently there was some decent swell, which not only makes the fish look more erratic, it can cause the marks to appear less defined (as the cone angle rocks the fish in and out of view). I would bet on something larger than most of the local Bonito.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #42
surfisher

Here's a couple for you guys. Lowrance elite 7 chirp. All surface, noise clarity etc... turned off. Sensitivity 63% colorline 78% ... I found it marks pretty good and i can decipher what type of fish is under the boat but I'm thinking of switching to medium chirp or 200hz vs. 83hz so I have a better understanding of what is directly under me. Thoughts?
IMG_3009.jpg
IMG_3380.jpg
IMG_3881.jpg
Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #43
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Here's a couple for you guys. Lowrance elite 7 chirp. All surface, noise clarity etc... turned off. Sensitivity 63% colorline 78% ... I found it marks pretty good and i can decipher what type of fish is under the boat but I'm thinking of switching to medium chirp or 200hz vs. 83hz so I have a better understanding of what is directly under me. Thoughts?

Attachment 24664

Attachment 24665

Attachment 24666

Judging by the pictures in your graph I wouldn’t change many settings. Those are some great images
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #44
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Attachment 24664
Attachment 24665
Attachment 24666
I have not found chirp settings that I like yet, but I am new to them. I like both high and low sonar frequencies, but for different reasons. The low frequencies (and their associated larger cone angles) are better for finding areas of fish and structure. You are scanning about 4 times the area, with double the cone angle. Knowing what is right underneath you is overrated, unless you are a Lobster fisherman or fish pretty deep structure.

The high frequency is better at indicating what you are looking at (based on the colors), assuming that both your sensitivity and colorline are not too high nor too low. If all of the targets (including bait schools) return the hardest color of your chosen pallet, then you are probably too high in one or both (in either frequency type). But, in my experience, the high frequency can be better fine tuned to return color differences between species. As with all other marks, the size of (and distance to) the target are going to play a part in what you see on the screen for any particular settings.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #45
Salty Irons
Junior

Wow I dont know what settings your has that keep the image so clean because my regular 83 khz is so clustered everytime I find heavy structure, bait or fish.. This post is great and super helpful on honing in the fishfinder! Thanx for any help on this!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Salty Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #46
YakDout
Brandon

Name that Return

Turn your sensitivity down and I would turn off the 800hz down scan. Looks like your traditional sonar image is in high chirp not 83hz
Old 01-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #47
GregAndrew

Looks like the high chirp is getting some interference. Might try cycling off any other electronics on board, and checking your transducer cable and pins. The crack in the screen could be troublesome too? If your transducer is not directly in the water, you might want to check for bubbles (although the downscan does not appear bad). Make sure you have the right transducer selected in the setting also. Is the "4X" on your unit scroll speed? If so, I would turn that down to normal.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #48
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Looks like the high chirp is getting some interference. Might try cycling off any other electronics on board, and checking your transducer cable and pins. The crack in the screen could be troublesome too? If your transducer is not directly in the water, you might want to check for bubbles (although the downscan does not appear bad). Make sure you have the right transducer selected in the setting also. Is the "4X" on your unit scroll speed? If so, I would turn that down to normal.

The 4x appears to be the amount of zoom. Agree with the rest.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:46 AM   #49
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Yep, didn't even notice the scale on that part of the screen.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #50
Salty Irons
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Ya switched high chirp to 200 and zoomed out so much better already more clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Dont know how to turn down sensitivity but 200 seems to correctly portray what's below thanks to both of you for all the suggestions!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Salty Irons is offline   Reply With Quote