Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
2017-2018 MAG BAY UPDATED

LEAVING 26th December 2017 and RETURNING 6-7 Jan 2018

Baja_Traveler
Makobob
Sivak maybe
CON KSO last week
Flyfishinsteve64 maybe
Paddle man maybe
YOU????

This is an OPEN invitaton to all BWE members.
This year MAY BAY for Christmas New Years. As of now it appears that Baja_Traveler and myself will each truck down giving us 2 4X4 trucks for safety, I know I will have room for another angler with gear. Kai and I plan on bringing our Solo Skiffs to increase our range and for scouting and safety considerations. We will do lot's of flyfishing and light tackle fishing. Depending on weather we will consider an off shore trip for exotics

ANYone else interested it doing this trip?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 06-16-2017 at 04:20 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Dannowar

I'd be all in if I wasn't going to la paz/south of Mag in June.

Still interested. Would love to make it happen.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
I'd be all in if I wasn't going to la paz/south of Mag in June.

Still interested. Would love to make it happen.
We will see if there is any interest in the trip, if there is hopefully someone will propose a set of dates. 2 days drive both ways so I would suggest 12-14 days. You could make it shorter but that's a lot of driving.

Still waiting to hear from those who said they were going for the New Year. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Baja_Traveler

Well, at the job I'm currently on they will expect me to be taking off from Christmas to New Years again (if I'm still there, and I should be). If it happens then, I'm in - With a Solo Skiff on the roof!!
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Well, at the job I'm currently on they will expect me to be taking off from Christmas to New Years again (if I'm still there, and I should be). If it happens then, I'm in - With a Solo Skiff on the roof!!
OK Kai, I ordered MINE this morning, looks like at least two solo's going. So it is gonna be wet in the afternoon's as the wind always comes up. I think there is room for the sleeping bag, cooking gear and maybe a camp chair for overnight trips. Let the good times roll. NEW DREAMS coming.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

UPDATED

BUCKET LIST TRIP, I will be going on 70 for this one so I will consider this my last big trip, last chance effort to reach Mag Bay. Light tackle and Flyfishing, I will target Bass, Grouper, Halibut, Snook, Pargo and more Bass. There are also corvina, yellowtail, wahoo, and others in the area. For me I expect it to be a trip if a lifetime. Baja_Traveler and I be bringing our Solo Skiffs for added security and safety.
I hope YOU will have a chance to join us on this treck thru Baja. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
CON KSO

Hi Mako Bob,

Sent you a p.m. regarding your solo skiff. To be on topic: I'll be down that way Christmas of 2017/New Year of 2017.

I've fly fished a beach south of there and caught small snook out of the rocks using clousers- super fun.

I will watch this thread and if we can meet up- it'd be great to fish with you and your group. I may have contacts for pangeros who understand fly fishermen and where to take them.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
brew
I Exercise Fish

Bob,

Yes, we did go and it was great. We took 12 days and made a stop in Asuncion and fished for a day on the way down and back just to break up the drive.

Great calico fishing in Asunción as you already know... but you want to hear about Mag Bay!
The first day we barely made it to our beach spot before dark. I will give you all of the location details before you guys go (If I'm not with you). It's about 7 miles of dirt road north of Lopez Matteo's (no 4wd needed).
The first day we fished straight out from camp and caught some small spotties, small corvina, and a couple of small broomtail groupers. Fun day and great conditions!

The second day we went further north and added halibut, pompano, and some sort of Jack species. Also some nice broomtail grouper for light gear (8-10lbers). Also, the corvina were nicer as well... maybe 20"ers.

The third day we fished south and found a deep (30'?) hole with current pouring in from the boca. We fished here with nonstop fish every cast action for almost two hours. Corvina, pompano, and jacks were very aggressive and were literally fighting each other to get to our lures. This was a spot none of us will ever forget. Top water, poppers, crocs, kastmasters, Lc's, everything was working! After that we drifted along some channels along the mangrove islands and found some mangrove jacks, and several very large corvina (one measured at 28"). Also saw something huge come out and take a swipe at a hooked pompano (I'll bring some bigger lures next time!)

This was our best day of fishing, but we were beat from a averaging almost 20mi/day. Didn't even feel it with the fishing being so good, but standing up straight after all day was rough. Two revos and one guy in a paddle kayak. My legs felt fine actually as it was an easy pace with lots of time stopped fishing, but sitting for all day got me a bit. I used to think the couple of guys that yaked to Catalina from Long Beach were crazy, but now i am thinking about doing it sometime.

Tons of great/cheap meals, met some cool people, and had a great time overall. I subscribe to the "bs without pics" philosophy, so I will be writing up a more complete report with pics of fish, meals, some great sunsets, our beach camp, etc.

Last edited by brew; 03-28-2017 at 07:22 PM.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #9
Baja_Traveler

I am REALLY looking forward that report and pictures!

I'm thinking that this summer I will have to concentrate on accumulating new fishing gear in addition to my fly outfits for this trip.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
I am REALLY looking forward that report and pictures!

I'm thinking that this summer I will have to concentrate on accumulating new fishing gear in addition to my fly outfits for this trip.
YEP, pictures and locations fished would be AWESOME. Camping spots too. Need to catch a snook again, last one was in Panama in the 70's. This trip will be open to others who feel the need. Dates not set yet but will be Christmas, New Years time.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

UPDATE for MAG BAY 2017-2018

We will leave on the 26th of December 2017 and return on the 6-7th of Janurary 2018. If YOU want to go post here. I will have room in my truck for a passenger and gear. If interested please post HERE.

Anglers are:

Makobob
Baja_Traveler
Sivak is a maybe
CON KSO last week
YOU???

We will discuss actual travel fishing plans as we figure them out. I would prefer to travel straight to Mag Bay and fish hard the whole time in 3-4 different locations, FIRST 4 will decide. Meals will be group type like our Gonzaga trips.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 06-14-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #12
CON KSO

Awesome to hear you guys will be down there at that time- I'll be dropping off my girl in La Paz on the 30th of December and then am "free" until around January 4th.

If you guys know where you'll be I'd be up for meeting up with the crew- and I'll have my (new to me) pro-Angler with me.

I'll have to jam for the border to be home (Imperial Beach) by 7th.

When concrete details are known - please keep me in the loop!

And I'm freaking over the Mag Bay report that's being posted right now on this site- getting me fired up!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
Awesome to hear you guys will be down there at that time- I'll be dropping off my girl in La Paz on the 30th of December and then am "free" until around January 4th.

If you guys know where you'll be I'd be up for meeting up with the crew- and I'll have my (new to me) pro-Angler with me.

I'll have to jam for the border to be home (Imperial Beach) by 7th.

When concrete details are known - please keep me in the loop!

And I'm freaking over the Mag Bay report that's being posted right now on this site- getting me fired up!
We plan on being back on the 6-7th of Jan. Would be good to finally hook up with you. This is a bucket list trip for most of us. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 06-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

This is an OPEN trip, meaning you are all welcome to join us. Just post up if interested. If I am reading it right tidal swings will be 6-8 feet for the day. So lots of water flow, tidal movement. should not effect the Solos and they can tow.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 06-01-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #15
CON KSO

Count me in.

Just got back to I.B. from my two week trip down south.

Learned a lot.

Caught all kinds of fish.

Please put me down as a participant for the trip. Like I said before, I will already be down that way but can make it to Mag Bay from La Paz on (or around) the 30th of December.

Stoked to fish with you guys.

Also, I know where the turn off for Brew's launch spot is as well as am familiar with places to stay in A.L.M.

I had a great time fishing Estero Coyote - I have a feeling it wouldn't be as wide open awesome as Mag Bay but the nearby facilities and smaller size was a bit more welcoming to me given that I was solo.

If I can figure out how to post pics I will do a trip report.

But as of now, count me in!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
Just got back to I.B. from my two week trip down south.

Learned a lot.

Caught all kinds of fish.

Please put me down as a participant for the trip. Like I said before, I will already be down that way but can make it to Mag Bay from La Paz on (or around) the 30th of December.

Stoked to fish with you guys.

Also, I know where the turn off for Brew's launch spot is as well as am familiar with places to stay in A.L.M.

I had a great time fishing Estero Coyote - I have a feeling it wouldn't be as wide open awesome as Mag Bay but the nearby facilities and smaller size was a bit more welcoming to me given that I was solo.

If I can figure out how to post pics I will do a trip report.

But as of now, count me in!
You have been added to the list. Gonna be great. open to all BWE members too. Join us if you can. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
flyfishinsteve64

Send a message via Yahoo to flyfishinsteve64
Hi Bob,
I'm keeping my eye on this trip. I don't want to make any promises this time but sure would like to hit Mag Bay again.

Steve
flyfishinsteve64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinsteve64 View Post
Hi Bob,
I'm keeping my eye on this trip. I don't want to make any promises this time but sure would like to hit Mag Bay again.

Steve
Be nice to have you along, any onfo you can add as to camping spots would be mucho appreciated. Flyfishnsteve64 and paddle man were both added as maybe today. If you have interest in trip let us know asap. Thanks and tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 07-16-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #19
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Mag Bay Updated

So here we are in the middle of July and only 5 MONTHS out of what I feel will be a trip of a life time for me. Been dreaming about Mag Bay since I was 8 and two school mates went and told me stories about the fantastic fishing, NOW 60 years later it is my turn.

Planning on doing Fly fishing and light tackle fishing. SNOOK is my main target species but I expect to also find, corvina, bass, halibut, snappers, jacks, grouper and who knows what else.

Start 2018 with a bang, bring in the NEW YEARS with us, Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #20
flyfishinsteve64

Send a message via Yahoo to flyfishinsteve64
Bob Do you guys plan on doing most of your fishin in the bay or were you going to try and fish outside as well. Just Curious.
I want to get back there soooo bad.
Steve
flyfishinsteve64 is offline   Reply With Quote