Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Stan K G
Banned

How do you break off a heavy line snag?

I want to use my fly rod to go deep, but using a 20lb leader I'm worried about snags.

How do you break off your line from a yak when you get stuck with your heavy gear?

Cutting is the absolute last resort, I don't want to lose my fly line.
Stan K G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
m1k3midg3

ive broken 40 pound before from a yak. basically stick ure rod in the water up to the grip and tighten it down then pull up with your rod as close to the kayak as u can get it until ure line snaps
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
fishinkid2010

I find the very best way to do break off a tough snag, is to put on a pair of gloves, and pull the line up by hand. (wrap it around your hands like you're leadering a marlin)
If you do it bare handed you risk cutting your hand open... I still do it, but I make sure I wrap it around my hand several times.

Whatever you do, don't just keep pulling on it "bendo" style... otherwise you might need someone to re wrap your guides to accommodate for the segment you'll snap off. haha Especially if you are using a fly rod... those Sage and G Loomis rods aint cheap!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
dmrides

I have had luck wrapping the line around my pliers and pulling that way. The line hurts like hell when wrapped around your hand and could (and likely will) cut right through you. I have seen people wrap towels around their hands too.

When you do this, dangle your legs over the side of your yak for balance, 'cause when you're pulling that hard and your line breaks free or snaps you could flip if you are not ready for it.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Get right above it point your rod straight down so there is no load on it, and tighten your drag as much as you can. Then reel into it as far as you can easily.

Then watch the swells.

On the drop downswell reel it some more then grab the spool so the drag will not slip. As the next swell comes in it will lift you up several feet. If the line does not break reel into it again on the next downswell and grab the spool again when you get to the bottom, then let the next swell lift you up again. Repeat this process until it either pulls loose or breaks.

Don't grab the line just the reel spool as the line can cut your hands. they idea is to use your hand on the spool to shut down the reel and keep the drag from slipping and let the flotation of the yak and the power of the swell break the line for you.

With forty sometimes it's hard to get it to break. I get it as tight as I can then at the top of good swell while holding the spool I pull up the rod and reel straight up butt first against the line another foot or so. That usually breaks it off.

Don't ever cut your line or wrap it on sharp edge objects that can cut it. If you cut off the line you'll leave all that line in the water and it's just a hazard for others to hook up on. I hate hooking dead line at La Jolla, it's a hassle and completely avoidable if people would just use their heads and be more careful.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Stan K G
Banned

cutting fly line is a $45+ per event pricetag, so I'm the least likely person on the water to do so.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan K G View Post
cutting fly line is a $45+ per event pricetag, so I'm the least likely person on the water to do so.
I hear that. The stuff is expensive. I have a fly fishing friend that jokes that with normal fishing you at least get something for your bucks, like an Accurate or Tiagra weighs something..with flyfishing everything is so light weight it's like you are spending your cash on air...

What weight line are you using?

I have a Sage 10-11 with some fast sinking fly line on it, fished but I'm the worlds worst flycaster so I hardly ever use it.

What are you fishing for?

Used to be there were some doable tipit class records for seabass open, and I think all the T shark fly records are still open.

Jim
Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
Stan K G
Banned

8wt L3 custom rod, with a $40 freshwater basspro reel.

I'm going for anything I can get, and from the reel you can tell I'm too cheap to get the igfa leaders, I just use staight 20lb flouro when not in the surf.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

I usually wind down and use the swells as I thumb the spool with the rod pointed straight down and the reel just out of the water. Another way is to use a cleat or a RAM ball mount and wrap it a few turns and paddle a few strokes.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Jim Sammons LJKF

Good idea to also make sure your rod is leashed to the kayak when attempting because if the rod slips from your hands it will shoot straight down like a torpedo.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Good idea to also make sure your rod is leashed to the kayak when attempting because if the rod slips from your hands it will shoot straight down like a torpedo.
hmmmm ... sounds like a true life experience?
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Been there. Never lost a rod but when your hands are wet and you have the spool locked up that surge wants to pull the rig right out of your hands.

Good advice Jim as usual.

Jim
Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Jim Sammons LJKF

I have never done it but has a good story about this happening to him.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
blackcloud9
Kayaker

I am usually hooking bull kelp down deep or bottom while out rockfishing.
I fish spectra so there is no stretch. For really bad snags ....

Let out about 100' of extra line using the clicker while moving the kayak
slowly headed the direction most likely to "work", downcurrent if its a
draw. Wrap your spectra around the outside of the reel 4 or 5 times and
thumb it ...

Point the rod tip straight toward the stern, hold onto the reel tight, and
PEDAL LIKE HELL. BAM!, something will give. Since you are pulling forward
instead of UP, you will not flip when it comes loose.

I've had to cut it only once, and that was fishing 50 lb spectra with 40#
leader.

Now I fish 30# spectra on the kayak mainly.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Get right above it point your rod straight down so there is no load on it, and tighten your drag as much as you can. Then reel into it as far as you can easily.

Then watch the swells.

On the drop downswell reel it some more then grab the spool so the drag will not slip. As the next swell comes in it will lift you up several feet. If the line does not break reel into it again on the next downswell and grab the spool again when you get to the bottom, then let the next swell lift you up again. Repeat this process until it either pulls loose or breaks.

Don't grab the line just the reel spool as the line can cut your hands. they idea is to use your hand on the spool to shut down the reel and keep the drag from slipping and let the flotation of the yak and the power of the swell break the line for you.

With forty sometimes it's hard to get it to break. I get it as tight as I can then at the top of good swell while holding the spool I pull up the rod and reel straight up butt first against the line another foot or so. That usually breaks it off.

Don't ever cut your line or wrap it on sharp edge objects that can cut it. If you cut off the line you'll leave all that line in the water and it's just a hazard for others to hook up on. I hate hooking dead line at La Jolla, it's a hassle and completely avoidable if people would just use their heads and be more careful.

Jim

The last fews times I've been fishing in LJ there was'nt much of a swell so I could'nt use your swell technique! I got impatient waiting for a swell so I just cut my line(sorry about that). You have probably been hooking my cut lines, guess I'll have to re-think another method of retrieval.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #16
GregAndrew

Not into flyfishing, but are those reels sturdy enough to thumb them to break the leader? Might also be able to wrap the line around the butt of your rod so you don't mess up your hands.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
old_rookie

This is probably wrong but I got snagged twice on Saturday. I would get close to the snag spot, let out some line and then start wrapping it around the butt of my grip. Yeah it cut in a little as i pulled then wrapped it more then pulled and repeated this until it let loose. I often thought that once it lets go i might flip over so i pulled straight up instead of to the side. Kind of a workout. One time it broke the line just below the swivel the othe time I got it all back. I know that if I do this often I will loose the padding on the grip. Better than cutting up my hands. Using a rod leash is a good idea.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote