Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Aaron&Julie

Angry Last day of fishing the now closed Scripps area

Yesterday was the last day to fish the now closed areas brought about by the MLPA.
We arrived in the dark, about 5:45AM, and landed at the launch in the dark, about 5:45PM.
Gorgeous day out, flat ocean, little or no wind, and tiny surf for launching and landing, although upon landing we did time (in the dark) it wrong, like we are so good at, at finding the biggest wave. Only about a 2 footer, Julie rode it in, I decided to back up and wait, which rewarded me with a big splash of seawater to the back.
Made plenty of macks just past the south buoy markers, then started to fish.
Lots of PBers and yaks out today mostly concentrated outside of the kelp and in front of the condo, the area I was told, where the yellows went off a week and a half ago (12/21 & 12/22). We can’t imagine what it will be like, when this area is the only place you’re allowed to fish this summer.
We made a pass through the area, then went outside of the group and a little north. Still nothing, so we went back to the kelp line to try for taco meat on cut squid. We managed 1 calico bass, and 1 brown rockfish.
Our plan for the day was to drift for halibut by Scripps pier, and maybe locate the spot in the Scripps canyon, where MattRabasco nailed some goats a couple of days ago. Both of these areas are now closed, thanks to the MLPA. The year Julie caught her world record halibut, sorry to say, we lost 3 halibut, in a 3 week span, on gaff, in the area we drifted yesterday. I did not hit the sweet spot and they went mental, but I’ve learned. A conservative estimate on their weights 25lbs, 40lbs, 60lbs, +/- 5lbs on the first 2, +/- 10lbs on the last one, which would easily have broken Julie’s Women’s world record. I should know I put the gaff in both, and we both saw it.
No love from the halibut. We don’t have a fish finder, but knew about where the Scripps canyon was located. After bouncing the 10oz halibut rig, we finally located the canyon. With less than an hour ‘til dark, we located, where we think the goats were caught, but only managed 3 more small Reds.

Here’s our taco meat photo for the day:

>

With daylight fading, we started the paddle back, both of us talking about how we would never be likely to ever fish these spots again. We were saddened and angry.
I’ve been fishing for 45+ years, ocean fishing for 40+, and Julie about the same, maybe not always to the same degree until she met me. Fishing on the kayaks off of La Jolla has easily become our #1 passion(a good tuna bite is next), not just because of excellent fishing, but the beauty, too. It is our hope that every person responsible, for the MLPA, also lose their greatest passion. If it’s good food, gone should be your sense of taste. Watching good movies partial blindness (not total, we don’t want to seem mean). Sex, may your pecker fall off, or your womb close. Etc, etc, etc. You get the idea.
MLPA and the people behind it, have not only taken away much of the pleasures of a million ocean fishermen or more, but also countless thousands who rely on it as a livelihood. Sport boats, Charters, Bait boats and receivers, Commercial fishermen(lobsters, urchins, etc), Tackle Store owners/Manufacturers, etc, all will feel a major financial blow. I feel sorry for guys like Andy (Iceman), who started their own kayak store. If Julie and I knew this was going to happen 8 years ago when we started this sport of kayak fishing, we very likely wouldn’t have bought our ‘yaks. Don’t get us wrong, they have been worth the investment over those 8 years, but as of today, a huge portion has been ripped out.
Gone, is the location I started fishing off South Laguna from shore, 35 years ago, where I caught sheephead, calicos, halibut and up to 13 species in 1 day. Gone are the tremendous locations off of Palos Verdes, where I learned to fish from the half day trips out of Redondo (the City and Special), 40 years ago. Now gone too, are many wonderful spots in our dear La Jolla. Plus, the dozens and dozens of locations up and down the coast.
Thank you America, too, for allowing this to happen. Helmet laws, checking your shoes at airports, and now depriving fishermen the right to fish in local waters, which is completely unnecessary due to proper DFG limits, What is next, the right to breath, to be?
We hate the MLPA, and despise those involved in it’s passing.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

were you the two drifting mackerel off the point earlier that day right after i released my seal?

nice taco meat.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Aaron&Julie

Probably the only male/female couple kayaking yesterday, and if they were fishing in white kayaks (Cobra Fish 'n' Dives), then yes, that's us.
Julie hooked a seal, too. A great way to wear you out, if being on the water 12 hours, loading and unloading gear twice, wasn't enough.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Think I talked to you guys when you came in, nice chat. Big bummer about the closures and everyone seeming to get skunked.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
dorado50

So when are you selling the yaks?. I may be interested.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
lbsurf2ca

I feel your pain right now. Staring off at Swamis and Cardiff. It really sinking in. A chunk of my favorite fishing grounds is off limits only accessible fishing is by shore or spearing....this sucks
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Billy V

-What the heck are you talking about - last day ???

The fish were biting just fine today !
-I caught my personal best Green Spot. Look at the size of this sob.
He is almost as big as this 5 lb. 4 oz. Red

MLPA
Mighty-Large-Poaching-Area.

Last edited by Billy V; 01-01-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
yaky yak

I'm thinking about painting my yak black and changing my handle to,"Outlaw Ninja, night stocker''. I can't be expected to respect whats not right.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Probably the only male/female couple kayaking yesterday, and if they were fishing in white kayaks (Cobra Fish 'n' Dives), then yes, that's us.
Julie hooked a seal, too. A great way to wear you out, if being on the water 12 hours, loading and unloading gear twice, wasn't enough.
ya i was in the blue x Factor and we talked for a minute or two.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
taggermike

Arron, the second part of your post was one of the best I have heard or read about what the mlpa really means to the people of California and to you personally. Thank you. I have seen this whole "process" as a barely conceled theft of our public resoures. Things should get extremely interesting now that the "good ideas" are over and the real enforcment and monitoring begin. Our state is laying off teachers and firefighters, who the hell is going to patrol these massive areas? Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
GHOSTHUNTR

Uh, Dave, try not to be such an asshole all the time
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
blitzburgh

Nice feeesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
-What the heck are you talking about - last day ???

The fish were biting just fine today !
-I caught my personal best Green Spot. Look at the size of this sob.
He is almost as big as this 5 lb. 4 oz. Red

MLPA
Mighty-Large-Poaching-Area.
LMAO
Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
FISHIONADO

I said Happy New Year just before dark at Blacks. I think you were the last person to catch a legal fish there, I was the last person to fish there legally. That last day was like attending a wake for a lifelong friend.

Many of us attended meetings and rallied family and friends to attend meetings and mail in written statements. Would have been nice to see more Americans stand up for their rights rather than just complain about it after the fact.

Happy New Year all.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
I'm thinking about painting my yak black and changing my handle to,"Outlaw Ninja, night stocker''. I can't be expected to respect whats not right.
We totally agree, how are we to respect what's not right.
Ignorant people created this mess, and we won't have any problem if we see any of you fishing in these areas.

But, on another note, we still should abide by the "rules and regs" already in place by the DFG, like size/quantity limits, seasonal closures, etc. To that point, we would hope Billy V, that you didn't catch those rockfish on Jan 1st, knowing their season is now closed. We could care less if you caught them in an MLPA area on March 1st, when the season opens again. But, it's not in our best interests as fishermen to break the already established laws set by the DFG.
But, MLPA is wrong, and that new "law" for closures, as Yaky Yak said, doesn't deserve our respect.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Seahunterr
Junior

That area wasn't closed today, I fished there all afternoonfor legal size halibut. Seriously, buying a fishing license is only sending DFG the message you agree with how they are managing resources...do you?

Last edited by Seahunterr; 01-02-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Seahunterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunterr View Post
That area wasn't closed today, I fished there all afternoonfor legal size halibut. Seriously, buying a fishing license is only sending DFG the message you agree with how they are managing resources...do you?
What puts more money in the DFG's pocket, a $43 license, or the countless tickets they will be handing out knowing people are going to fish without them. Expect heightened presence at landing areas. You're not going to win by not buying a license. You're like a child holding his breath because he didn't get his ice cream.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #17
StinkyMatt

Lets say for the sake of simple math that 1 million licences get sold each year. If you were to mobilize every BWE member not to buy one for a while you would possibly create a .5% temporary delay in funds to the state.

As much as this might make someone feel better, or like they are making a stand, it would mean absolutely nothing to the state.

Fishing without a licence is another option that may not be the best choice for us anglers. Last thing we want to be portrayed as is a bunch of lawless "fish killers".

Remember, the DFG is enforcing the laws created by someone else.

I was thinking about picketing in front of a retail location of one of the companies that financially aligned itself with the MLPA. This would not require great numbers but maight send a more precise message.

Just my 2 cents.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
maui jim

[>

Thank you America, too, for allowing this to happen. Helmet laws, checking your shoes at airports, and now depriving fishermen the right to fish in local waters, which is completely unnecessary due to proper DFG limits, What is next, the right to breath, to be?
We hate the MLPA, and despise those involved in it’s passing.[/QUOTE]

A real Sad day indeed.... and by the way we are exhaling "Greenhouse Gases", so dont count that out..
I think the next one will be wearing helmets in cars...
I sure glad the fishing licence fees are going up.. it was suppose to to help us..
What the helll wrong with California... and yet we keep voting the same idiots in.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
I was thinking about picketing in front of a retail location of one of the companies that financially aligned itself with the MLPA. This would not require great numbers but maight send a more precise message.
Just my 2 cents.
I think that's a pretty good idea. It always seems like even the smallest groups of protesters get on the news these days. The big thing would be to get some news cameras there, easier said than done I'm sure.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
Im down to go rogue fish assassin.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote