Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #61
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Funny, now I'm the bad guy for responding to . what I percieved to be , a couple of complaints made in the eariler posts!! Time to move on..lol
Nobody said your the bad guy... Just don't wear the shoe if it doesn't fit... As for this whole junior/senior member crap.. Who cares? I'd like to think most guys don't really pay attention to the titles.. It's about contribution, ability and attitude. I remember (because it wasn't that long ago) getting on this board and seeing amazing fishing reports and recognizing the vast amount of fishing knowledge that set them apart from me. I asked some pretty noob stuff. I'm pretty sure Brad and Andy can attest to some of it. Most of answered and some not. As I'm finding out, and I know it's a cliche around here, time on the water answers them for me.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #62
goldenarrow

I am one of the bastards that reads the reports on your site every week but never contributes anything. Mostly because I dont have anythind to contribute about fishing la jolla. In fact I have never been there I live 3 hours from the ocean and 6 or seven from la jolla. I bet if I lived there I would be one of the regulars. But the fact is I don't, I can only make it to the ocean @ 15 times a year and la jolla once or twice a year. So I wait and I watch the reports and when I have the time and the fishing seems good I will come down and try my luck. I might even fish within 100 yds of sombody elce because I dont have my own spots and I dont have the time on the water to find them. hopefuly I can make some friends down there that will show me the ropes And I would show them the ropes for somthing I know how to do like salmon.

Please keep the boards public and don't poast if you don't want any body to know!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #63
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarrow View Post
I might even fish within 100 yds of sombody elce
Don't.

I am neither a regular or a noob. I fish when I can, post when I can. It is one thing to read reports from the guys that are lucky enough to fish regularly in Mecca (LJ) an dnice enough to report about it. We all appreciate fishing reports, information about tricks of the trade, and especially a good report with a pic of a happy yakker holding a toad yeller. It is a whole different story to invade their fishing space, turning a relaxing hobby for them into a stressful time trying to avoid a crowd like a celeb running from the papparatzi.
It is a matter of courtesy and respect. I appreciate the guys that post regularly, so as I am stuck at a desk, I can live vicariously through a well written report. Some of the guys put so much thought into their reports that I swear I can smell the ocean as I am reading. Even if I am not fortunate enough to be able to write a fishing report more than a few times a year, I will usually throw in a little "congrats" or "nice fish" to show appreciation for the time and effort that many of the big dogs put into this board. I think that many of the "lurkers" could and should do the same.
Also the ocean is a BIG place. It should not be automatic that once out of the preserve at LJ, that many anglers look for the camo striped kayaks that they can go crowd in hopes of getting a big hook-up, without putting in the time and effort of looking for thier own fish. Is there any pride in that? Just my opinion.
Overall, the Kayak fishing community is helpful to each other, supportive to noobs as well as veterans, and a good resource and recreation for those that read the boards. It is a shame to see that so many, including myself, take it for granted as much as we do.
So, to the guys that positively contribute to this board

To the rest
Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #64
goldenarrow

I think 100 yards is outside of everybodys personal space I doubt if I can toss a jig 50 yards from the kayak. I dont want to croud but in a place you don't know the best way to find fish is to look for birds or other boats if the fish arent holding neer structure like kelp or rocks.

As far as poasting nice fish or way to go I would but 30 other people uasualy already have. I came from boards were you got flamed for postings without any real content, padding your post count and wasting bandwith.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #65
kayak jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohloe1 View Post
I can't even find my reply, anymore. I like to post, because it's a report for my fellow kayakers about fishing conditions etc... Not for fame, or to say "Look what I got". Make it a private forum... Nah, I just won't post anymore. It's been fun.
-Dennis
If you don't post, isn't that just what some people want. You know this secret stuff reminds me of the surfers that think a beach is theirs, and if your not one of the regulars they screw with you, and your ride. I guess somethings never change. To bad.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #66
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak jack View Post
If you don't post, isn't that just what some people want. You know this secret stuff reminds me of the surfers that think a beach is theirs, and if your not one of the regulars they screw with you, and your ride. I guess somethings never change. To bad.

I don't think that is the case at all. Some are just trying to encourage proactive fishing, rather than reactive. Go whenever and not just when you see 3 dudes holding up 5 fish. You'll find nothing but respect and generousity from 99% of the guys who fish LJ frequently, you'll never find a locals-only attitude from them.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #67
Brian Sanner

When I first started fishing LJ I didn't even own a computer. I would hear through friends that some fish were being caught and the first avaliable weekend I would go. I have had several long strings of busted trips (I think 9 in a row), before I would have one or two that really paid off. I learned alot by watching the "regulars" out there and simply by just doing it. Nothing cures not knowing how to do it better than just getting out there and fishing, observe without encroaching and if the situation permits, asking questions. I think that alot of fishermen, hunters, surfers, what ever are or tend to be clickish (spelling was not my major) and just takes time to fit in. Of course they may feel like they need to protect info, but no matter how good the secret is kept there is always some one out there, maybe not part of the group of LJ regulars, who ends up passing the info on about a hot bite.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #68
metalbob
King of Constipation

Thanks to all who helped out with the LJ fishing ettiquette!
this helps me greatly so i know what not to do out there,believe me the last thing i want is to have Fellow yakkers give me the evil eye!

i'll be sure to stay out of "iron chucking range".

would it be cool though if i hail someone if i need help landing a fish?
i just want to learn and have positive experiences from fishing the Big Water.

thanks to every one, who replied regarding ettiquette!

METALBOB.., King Diamond rules. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa set the crosssss on the altar...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #69
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
would it be cool though if i hail someone if i need help landing a fish?
Hell Ya! I don't think there is anybody out there that would be put off in offering ANY kind of assistance.

Last edited by Iceman; 02-22-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #70
SAR

Hail Away Metalbob. I bet 99.9% of the people out there would actually enjoy helping you out. Hope to see you on the water! (feel free to hail me)
Old 02-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #71
wavster

I started reading this thread to hear more about Tyler's WSB. This is a long thread that's gotten way off track. I'm new to this board, but I normally frequent another board. I have to say, I've never heard so much whining.

I've been kayak fishing since last September. I caught a Yellowtail my first week and I didn't even know what it was. I caught it on a bass rod with a spinning reel and 12lb. test. Though the fish was small (8lbs.), the fight was awesome. I was instantly hooked. I caught 2 more the following week and have been kayak fishing regularly since then. I usually will fish 2-3 times per week. I've even got my 2 oldest girls into it (11 & 13).

Anyone who expects these boards to be more than a venue for chats, sporadic reports and an occassional tip, expects too much. If you want to learn how to consistently catch fish, then go fishing (and read these boards).

How many of you were out there today? It was cold, windy, and lousy, yet I was out there knowing that I'd probably get skunked. I knew the conditions weren't good, but I go for enjoyment. I want to learn, and try different things. Too many of you expect the "regulars" to give all their secrets away. There defintely should be some pride in the fact that some people always seem to catch more fish. They've earned that through experience. To think that they should give that knowledge away freely is expecting way too much.

...ok, now that being said, I'd like to know what Tyler used to catch the WSB, along with GPS coordinates, the rod and reel type, what lb. test, the phase of the moon on that day and the rate he was reeling in his line along with the soap he used that day (if he handles his bait/lures, his scent is on them, you know).
Old 02-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #72
Dennis

lollollol...
WOW, just like a BD thread.

Yeah, we were out yesterday and got sprinkled on... Hoping for nothing.. But, Ryan caught. I've already appologized to Tyler for the thread-jack. I posted my reply on the wrong one. And now look, #71.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #73
bearlythere

fishing edicate

Besides if your going to ask for legitamate fishing secrets and spots dont you know you must hand the person your asking a nice frosty one or two or three........That always is correct edicate for aproching another fisherman..... works like a charm....Bait the regulars and they will come....yelow tail pale ale on board.....
Old 02-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #74
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlythere View Post
Besides if your going to ask for legitamate fishing secrets and spots dont you know you must hand the person your asking a nice frosty one or two or three........That always is correct edicate for aproching another fisherman..... works like a charm....Bait the regulars and they will come....yelow tail pale ale on board.....
Amen to that Brudda...I was "Bearlythere" after that night with you and Ari.
I think there needs to be another ClubNonClub meeting before someone calls Dr. Phil.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #75
Kevin

Quick recap of the thread

What there's fish in La jolla!

Neophyte regulars

And life goes on for those who seek and find their own fish.

Kevin
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #76
Dennis

lollollollol75
Old 02-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #77
jscott

Very funny!lol lol

Just get on the water when you can....reports or not. That's what it's about. Enjoy the environment, the exercise, the solitude, and the chance to catch fish! I go for the adventure....regularly fishing malibu and making down to LJ about 1-2X month. I appreciate timely reports, but do not base my decision to go on that--- When I'm going-- I'm going-- the reports just give me a heads up of what to expect. I base my decision to go usually only based on what days I have off and the weather reports.

My best fish have come on what others would call 'OFF' days.

Just get out and

-Scott
Old 02-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #78
bwana

My first launch at LJ ended up with my first legal WSB ever (45+ pound), my first tow on a kayak, and my first gaffing my own fish.

I read the boundaries, located the launch, found parking, made bait, chased birds and caught the LJ bug. I did all that solo, without following anybody, or heading to where everyone else was.

To me that was way more rewarding than having someone hold my hand or pulling up on someone else's spot uninvited.

Karma is what you make of it.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #79
bigeye

Wow!

Is all of this because someone had a 5.1 ratio and couldn't get bit on the B/W? I just want you to know that those regulars are the reason some of us have a plastic boat! When I first started out Andy was a great help. Thanks Andy. And for those that don't like the crowd, there's a place for you called Baja. We all need to put this in perpective and take a deep breath! Most of us have spare time to post and to fish, but there's a lot of folks that don't have that luxury in this world. (did i sound like a democrat?) Anyway, enjoy the outdoors, take a kid fishing! And for God's sake be a man and don't call a woman a bitch, especially another man's wife! That's my two cents worth. Now lets all shut up and go fishing. The yellows will be wide open on monday! WORD!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #80
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeye
The yellows will be wide open on monday!
No it wont!

Tomorrow morning dummy!
Closed Thread