Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB619 View Post
Nice catch cousin! I guess I'll be stopping by your house for some yt
We'll have to get some more.
Had Elliott's 5th birthday and made tacos for about 13 people.
Used the whole fish, minus the collars and some sashimi I made Sat. evening.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Razorback

Yeah - that's the tiburon that stole my bait on Thursday. I see he's a lil' fatter today Are Hammers good eating? Never see them on ice @ Catalina Offshore.

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
tacmik

Damn. Might have to just launch at the marine room. Damn tourists, scared of a little fish.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
mclanea

Like @skrilla I got grilled coming in. Like 10 people must have asked me if I was the one who got followed in by a shark, I think it happened a few minutes before I landed.

Wasn't me. I was out from 5:45 to 11:45. When I came in at 11:45 the kayak outfitters were telling everyone within ear shot about it.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
HobieScot

RED ALERT!!!! RED ALERT!!!!!

I just noticed that the news report on this hammerhead (with the same video included) was now on my Facebook feed from KTLA 5 news. I don't subscribe or like them so they are posting the report to our FB feeds wether we like it or not

Watch the wide spread panic begin

Won't be long now till they decide to close it for a longer period of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

So dumb...we're in their house, had one swim right between me and another yak on Thursday..no biggie..they just want to eat. The main difference between yakers and land dwellers is the yakers are the wolves and the land dwellers who are uneducated and afraid are the sheep in this chaos called society. You don't see any yakers freaking out, dude just wants some fish and if there is blood in the water of course he is going to sniff it out..NO SH&^ huh.....MAIN STREAM MEDIA STRIKES AGAIN!!!

Last edited by kjsdad619; 08-31-2015 at 10:25 AM.
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
TINCANYAK
Junior

I know the feeling too well and posted my encounter last Sunday as I too was bumped several times last Sunday along the DP break wall on the paddle back in. Sheds light on fish bags, shark shields and keeping the yak clean so as not to leave a fish slick for them to follow up on. Who got bumped? Would be interesting to learn from their circumstances?
TINCANYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINCANYAK View Post
I know the feeling too well and posted my encounter last Sunday as I too was bumped several times last Sunday along the DP break wall on the paddle back in. Sheds light on fish bags, shark shields and keeping the yak clean so as not to leave a fish slick for them to follow up on. Who got bumped? Would be interesting to learn from their circumstances?
We were bumped in Malibu Sunday, Lj Friday and Saturday. Keep your fish on board. I was the one that was interviewed and video tapped. They sure edited the crap out of it. Last time I allow that to happen.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
HobieScot

Leopard sharks are always in the surf! We used to catch them in the surf at night all the time.

As for our regular every day shark sightings we need to keep them to ourselves on this board. Don't share them with the public and especially not with any authority figure like DFG or life guards or the like.

Any mention of sharks to the public just opens the situation for the media to grab a hold of the story and sensationalize it

A simple HH sighting that a kayaker sees as innocent yet exciting becomes headlines in the news

"Local kayaker stalked by hungry hammerhead shark. News at 11"

As we have seen the media will sensationalize any story to increase viewership

The better we keep our shark stories restricted to this board and to others that understand what is happening with the Sharks this year the better.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
good news / bad news....

[QUOTE=jorluivil;240084]My wife said I can't fish anymore because there are sharks in the water but She's ok with me riding my bike in the streets of L.A.?

Hahaha > your wife probably added a Double indemnity death by bike policy when she bought you that new road bike....

Double indemnity is a clause or provision in a life insurance or accident policy whereby the company agrees to pay the stated multiple (i.e., 10X) of the face amount in the contract in cases of death

no life insurance coverage for shark death - $1 mil payout if bike death

good news she said there will be plenty of money to have an awesome paddle out party for you at LaJolla Shores...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
TINCANYAK
Junior

So I get the impression that the general consensus is that when an 8+ foot hammerhead is bumping your kayak its' not something to be concerned or freak out about? After all, he does not want to EAT/Bite me but simply wants what I want laying in front of me? My Jack Russell has the same undeterred focus at dinner time and does not warrant any action other that "go away Moby", repeat several times. I feel sort of grateful for the experience with Mr. Hammerhead at Dana Point and perhaps with time as I paddle into the ranks beyond "Junior" such wisdom will be passed along with a more mature understanding of nature. Should I now target the beast for the that ultimate sled ride? That was insane! Such composure. Crap, this is all adding up with the fish bag, shark shield and now the GoPro to record the final run. Insured wife says "you will go doing something that you love", God bless her and the kids.

TINCANYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Don't be concerned about it....

If it attacks and kills you....just don't tell anybody about it...O.K!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
iethinker

Wire Leader

Just got my wire leader! You know Dasher and Dancer and Comet...etc...and Hammerhead
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
Hahaha > your wife probably added a Double indemnity death by bike policy when she bought you that new road bike.

It's a Road Glide and not a road bike
Attached Images

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
HobieScot

If a reporter asks any of us if we've seen a shark out there while kayak fishing the safest answer for all of us is to say "nope, never seen one"

With enough of us saying the same thing the media "should" loose interest pretty quickly

Then we can go on our merry way and continue to enjoy ourselves without any further beach closures

Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
jorluivil

Don't forget that this is a public forum.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
HELLSTER INC.

I hooked that damn hammerhead 3 times yesterday and the 3rd time he wrapped the braid around mirage drive and sliced it. Sharks are getting to be as bad as the seals!
Hear is a little video of the culprit...
https://youtu.be/e2dBB0wS8e0

Name:  11952001_10204884970185035_3363968948166541598_n.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  64.2 KB
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #18
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSTER INC. View Post
I hooked that damn hammerhead 3 times yesterday and the 3rd time he wrapped the braid around mirage drive and sliced it. Sharks are getting to be as bad as the seals!
Hear is a little video of the culprit...
https://youtu.be/e2dBB0wS8e0

Attachment 16796

That totally sucks!!

Yesterday I was dragging bait across the canyon and got bite, as soon as I tried to set the hook the line went limp.........wtf? I start to reel hoping that the fish swam towards me but the whole time I had no pressure on the line. As soon as I pulled my line out the I noticed it was completely fraid, not wanting to know what it was I kept going.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #19
bracks

Saturday AM 9/5, I went with my family to the cove so the kids could play. I wish I had my phone (camera) as one of the sea lions laying out had a perfect series of gashes in a semi-circle on its back. Looked to be about a 12 inch bite, so perhaps a juvenile (?).
bracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #20
HELLSTER INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
That totally sucks!!

Yesterday I was dragging bait across the canyon and got bite, as soon as I tried to set the hook the line went limp.........wtf? I start to reel hoping that the fish swam towards me but the whole time I had no pressure on the line. As soon as I pulled my line out the I noticed it was completely fraid, not wanting to know what it was I kept going.
You guys get anything?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote