Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
JamesM
Junior

New to the forum

Howdy! I recently joined this forum and hoping to go out catch some fish and have some good time with folks on here. A little bit background of me. I have been kayak fishing for over a year. Currently, I own a 2017 Outback. I live in Bay Area and most of my fishing are done in the North Cal. However, this year I have been trying a lot new things. Scratched out three bucket list spices so far, a king salmon from kayak, a sturgeon and a blue marlin. With that said, I'm excited to be a part of this community and looking for opportunities to learn fishing in South Cal. I know the commute from Bay Area to LA or SD is not be the best, but I'm determined to catch a YT on my kayak. If any one don't mind to take a newbie out for some YT, sheephead, calico, I am all up for it. Any launch site recommendation, general tips are all welcome. I have been mining the forum for a little bit, and there are a lot good information. Not looking to steal anyone's number or secret spot, but more just to get me started. I am also on NCKA. If anyone is hitting up north, I am happy to share what I know. Cheers! James
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Mahigeer

Welcome to the board.

Check out the Baja trips to Mako-Ville.

Look for my long posts from the past trips. The pictures won't show due to photobucket issues, but writing may be helpful.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
a blue marlin.

welcome aboard... I want to see said blue marlin, that is killer - do you have a photo?
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
goldenglory18

Welcome!

I can't help with the Yellows or Sheep, but I can tell you Calico are very common around the SoCal waters. Kelp, shallow structure, and around the islands are all common places to find some checkered bass...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
JamesM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Welcome to the board.

Check out the Baja trips to Mako-Ville.

Look for my long posts from the past trips. The pictures won't show due to photobucket issues, but writing may be helpful.
Thanks Mate! That is a cool website
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
JamesM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHanded View Post
welcome aboard... I want to see said blue marlin, that is killer - do you have a photo?
Here you go. Story can be found in the link below. It is customary for Tahitian to keep the catch.

Here is a link on my post on the trip on NCKA
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...?topic=80083.0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3501-resized.jpg (59.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
JamesM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Welcome!

I can't help with the Yellows or Sheep, but I can tell you Calico are very common around the SoCal waters. Kelp, shallow structure, and around the islands are all common places to find some checkered bass...
Thanks! Any recommendation on where to launch and go?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Phishphood

Wttm james...at least the socal version. There's at least one other ncka'er here on bwe that moved down a little while ago.

I'd say keep reading through the old forum posts here for more info.

Your best/ worst bet for yt is probably in la Jolla. Launch is right on the beach at the end of avenida de la playa I think. It's about the same as doing a launch at MBK if you've ever done that. Note that you'll have to pass thru an mpa before you can fish. Calico is pretty common around the kelp. Sheephead aren't super uncommon either. That said, I know some guys that have gone for yt a dozen times before getting their first, and my friend caught one on his second outing...

If you're serious about it, look in to getting a guide. Also there was a crew of 3 ncka guys that headed down here in labor day to fish. Maybe try hooking up with them next time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
JamesM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post
Wttm james...at least the socal version. There's at least one other ncka'er here on bwe that moved down a little while ago.

I'd say keep reading through the old forum posts here for more info.

Your best/ worst bet for yt is probably in la Jolla. Launch is right on the beach at the end of avenida de la playa I think. It's about the same as doing a launch at MBK if you've ever done that. Note that you'll have to pass thru an mpa before you can fish. Calico is pretty common around the kelp. Sheephead aren't super uncommon either. That said, I know some guys that have gone for yt a dozen times before getting their first, and my friend caught one on his second outing...

If you're serious about it, look in to getting a guide. Also there was a crew of 3 ncka guys that headed down here in labor day to fish. Maybe try hooking up with them next time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hi there, Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I heard Jason aka str8fishin went down there earlier. I did some email exchange with Kevin Nakada. I am thinking about hiring him as a guide, but the only thing I m not sure at this point is if I can hold up 12 hours on my Hobie. Is there a good site you could recommend for surf forecast at LJ? Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 AM   #10
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Thanks! Any recommendation on where to launch and go?
Thats a personal call, but I've done ok staying close to the harbors and marinas in the LA area. All depends on how comfortable you are paddling in the ocean.

You can search my threads and see a lot of info on Marina Del Rey, which is pretty much my "home course."

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
JamesM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Thats a personal call, but I've done ok staying close to the harbors and marinas in the LA area. All depends on how comfortable you are paddling in the ocean.

You can search my threads and see a lot of info on Marina Del Rey, which is pretty much my "home course."

I am pretty good with the Ocean. My limit is 6ft at 8sec. I assume SoCal water is a lot more tamed than NorCal?

Will do and hopefully run into you on the water soon!