Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
Neillio
Junior

anybody fish carlsbad?

Anybody do any fishing around carlsbad?
Neillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
AngryTurtle
Junior

I am a CBad resident, have not done a lot of fishing up here - mostly been fishing in La Jolla. Slowly exploring the Lagoon, CBad and Oceanside. There are a couple other North County folks around.
AngryTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

Fish the lagoons
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
Dirty Curti

Yep, I fish in front of the Power plant to C'Bad state beach and also South Ponto.

Also Oceanside from the Harbor to Buc Pipe.

I've done better in these spots than LaJolla for some reason.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
mattamatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Yep, I fish in front of the Power plant to C'Bad state beach and also South Ponto.

Also Oceanside from the Harbor to Buc Pipe.

I've done better in these spots than LaJolla for some reason.
Do you surf launch when down as far as power plant/ Carlsbad / Ponto, or still out of Oceanside Harbor?

I went by Ponto at lunch time today to check it out with kayaking in mind, as I've been curious to try launching there and fishing the artificial reef right outside the lagoon mouth. I did see a fishing boat out there, so someone else had a similar idea. I haven't done any surf launches or landings yet, but the conditions looked pretty friendly as far as our beaches go. Fairly small surf with good lulls between the sets. Parking looks convenient for access if you can get there early enough to get some of the spots right by the sand.

I may decide to try that this Saturday unless I can find any group going out that knows what they're doing to tag along with.
mattamatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

Go down to Lajolla and practice launching and landing/flipping over
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamatta View Post
Do you surf launch when down as far as power plant/ Carlsbad / Ponto, or still out of Oceanside Harbor?

I went by Ponto at lunch time today to check it out with kayaking in mind, as I've been curious to try launching there and fishing the artificial reef right outside the lagoon mouth. I did see a fishing boat out there, so someone else had a similar idea. I haven't done any surf launches or landings yet, but the conditions looked pretty friendly as far as our beaches go. Fairly small surf with good lulls between the sets. Parking looks convenient for access if you can get there early enough to get some of the spots right by the sand.

I may decide to try that this Saturday unless I can find any group going out that knows what they're doing to tag along with.
Beach launch when the conditions are right. Sometimes not always right but chance it anyways and hasn't always worked. Sometimes it's a little risky. But if it's doable then I take a chance.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
mattamatta

Planning on hitting Carlsbad near dawn tomorrow, surf permitting. Looks decent on the forecast at the moment.

Idea at the moment is to head fairly deep and look for some sanddabs for a while and hen switch to trying to catch some Mack’s to drift on the bottom for halibut.
mattamatta is offline   Reply With Quote