Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
shawny

Kayak fishing + Spearfishing

Hey all,

I am kind of at a fork in the road right now in deciding what hobbies to pursue. Been mostly doing charter and shore fishing, but would like to move into a new form of fishing soon: kayak fishing or spearfishing.

I want to be able to invest in and pursue both hobbies concurrently at the same time, but something tells me I might just end up dropping one and focusing on the other.

Does anybody have experience with both kayak fishing and spearfishing? If so, do you still actively pursue both hobbies at the same time? Or is there one that you now prefer over the other, and why? Kind of curious to hear about anybody's experiences or preferences regarding these two hobbies!

Thanks!
-Shawn
Old 04-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
fishja

You can easily pursue both at the same time. When the conditions aren't good for diving you can fish from the yak and when the conditions aren't good for fishing you can dive. I usually set one day a weekend for fishing and one day for diving (conditions permitting)

They are both dam fun but dammmm expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

I first started kayak fishing as a teenager. Had a tarpon 140 and it was fun, but I didn't get into it hardcore. Started free diving locally around north county San Diego. Shot some Hali's saw some big WSB a couple times, mostly around grand view in leucadia. Big reefs and lots of eel grass. I went a couple times solo, although I didn't feel as safe as if I knew someone else was around. Picked up my first Hobie a couple years ago. And HOOKED. Kayak fishing something I will take with me to the grave. A true enthusiast in the sport for life. To see boiling yellowtail or dorado. To see a 50lb roosterfish smashing on bait smaller than your pinky less that 20 yards away. To see 10 grey whales fluking in la jolla. The peace and tranquility of kayak fishing combined with a better chance to land some good eating fish, is good in my book. Good luck.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Oh, and I have seen all of those things I mentioned in the last 12 months of kayak fishing. Can't wait for the next 20 years. 🍻
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
Baja_Traveler

I did both back when I had my Scupper Pro, worked great for slipping into the kelp beds, where I used a spring clamp to clip off to the kelp. The PA14 I have now would make an even better platform (so long as I don't wander too far into the kelp - paddle kayaks are just better for this). I just haven't been out much these past few years because of the job. It's been so long that I probably have to replace the power bands on all the spear guns that are hanging on the wall...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote