Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
WahooUSMA

Pro Angler

Just picked up the new Pro Angler. Any words of wisdom? I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. Would like any advice on landing i.e., rudder up, etc. I was told the rudder does not lock down like the Revo's do therefore you can steer it in without the paddle.

Web cam looks like med size surf.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Oolie
Headshots Only

i've landed with my rudder down, just jump out in a few feet of water and flip it up.

i'm in a revo btw.

remember that it's a larger boat, so it should be more difficult if waves hit the bow, so get a couple practice launch and landings first before doing it with gear.

i'll be down there in a couple hours.

and actually i use the pedals to land as of late.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

It's been a crap shoot for me. The next time I come in I will leave the rudder down and peddle in as far as possible, then use the paddle to finish the landing. It flipped on me the last run in. Previously I came in fast and hard, then pulled the PA back out to remove the drive. I just really need more seat time to dial in my landing. Are you headed out tomorrow PM?
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
cross580
Junior

Launching:fficeffice" />>>
I purchased my PA in April, launched LJ 1st time in June three days in a row. I waded out till I was deep enough to mount the drive, paced the sets, jumped in with t-handle paddle. I dropped the rudder, and pushed thru the waves with the Mirage drive only. It was small, biggest day might have been 2ft. I made i through the surf fine all 3 days. >>
>>
I had the front insert in each time, all three times I took on a bit of water. I left a small towl in the bottom of the insert; it absorbed the water vice soaking into my fish bag and other kit. The first 2 days I crossed the bungees hoping for a tighter seal. The 3rd day was the wettest and I close the front hatch normally, I took on less water. >>
>>
I am looking for a thicker seal to prevent the water from coming in next time. >>
>>
Landing:>>
The first two days the surf was very small. Peddled in on the back of a small wave, rudder down, drive in, t-handle paddle in hand. I picked up momentum and pulled in the drive, steered in with the rudder, kept the paddle in hand but didn’t use it. I stood up in knee deep water, no issues.>>
>>
The last day the surf was small but larger. I did the same drill, but lost momentum and turned left. I put my foot down in about waist deep water and stood up, otherwise I would have probably went over.>>
>>
Findings:>>
-The front hatch takes on water. So will the hatch with the cutting board. I will upgrade the seal and look for more improvements.>>
-The half paddle with t-handle is convenient to store and push out of kelp but it wont do you much good landing in surf over 2 ft. >>
-The full paddle would have helped more but I stored the other have inside the boat under the insert. If you keep the paddle out from launch, I would install something to strap it to the boat. I prefer less junk on the boat, but it will cost me a wetter landing. There was a potential for hyper extending the knee too. I guess for larger surf I could get out and push the boat from behind. As far as storage and stability, you could take a tv with you and stay dry all day until you land.>>
-I have the upgrade wheels on the cart, black rubber, air inflated. I blew a tire on the second days launch. Its amazing how heavy everything is completely loaded. I believed it happened as I was pulling the boat in the water at a slight angle and broke the bead. The tire would not hold air after that.>>
cross580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
lterrero
Leo

Good Luck! surf is a little big & don't forget to secure all your Gear.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
blitzburgh

No advice on the launch/landing as I have not done that yet. What I can tell you though is, the trax 2 cart is a must! I found that out the hard way. I have the trax 2 hd cart and it does me well. No problems so far. Please let us know how your trip goes! I am eager to follow soon.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
premo

Roger, wait for me I want videotape your double salto.
premo is offline   Reply With Quote