Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
jasonb

Hobie Revolution and Outback question

Hello everyone,
Kayak noob here. I'm looking at picking a used Revolution or Outback sometime soon. I was wondering if there have been changes over the years that would make me search for a particular year? I remember reading somewhere that the mirage drives changed a few years ago but not sure what exactly the change was.

Thanks
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The two main changes that have occured in recent years are the "snap and go" drive locks and the switch from a lever to a pair of cords to raise and lower the rudder. Both of these improvements are missing on my 2008 model.

These are significant improvements but my kayak still floats and occasionally catches fish. In my view, these changes are desirable but if they are missing, it should not be a deal killer.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
FishFeeder
Junior

old/new

there are also hull shape differences between old and new Outbacks, too; i have one of each. I believe the new one is heavier, but not sure which hull design i like better. It's hard to compare, because i never use them back to back; besides, the new one has the oversized rudder and fins, and those are nice upgrades. i'm not sure the new system, using pull cords to raise and lower the rudder, is an improvement over the old lever; the new system for retaining the drive is an improvement, hopefully it will hold up well over time. the old model has been used a fair bit, and everything on it has held up well, the new one has not been time-tested as much--but seems fine so far. I would not pay a big premium for the new features, but i consider the drive retainer a worthwhile improvement, especially when you have to pull up the drive system in kelp.
FishFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
roadx

me and my brother both have outbacks, his is an older version and the hauls are different. his peddles/paddles better but i believe mine feels more stable.
his seems to lean to one side or the other then peddling in a cross wind.
storage area in the back is different, the newer ones have a bigger storage area, also in the front the older ones has a small round hatch, newer has a larger lift hatch. the older ones have a different rudder lifting design with a lever instead of pull handles also the rudder sticks straight out instead of tucking out of the way then not using the rudder . both are nice and you can pick up an older one for a very reasonable price. I think the money is worth the improvements on the newer ones.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
jasonb

thanks everyone. were all these changes done beginning with the 09 model? hope to meet some of you out on the water in the next couple weeks
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
roadx

i believe haul design and rudder changed in 07, rudder lifting design and mirage drive locks changed in 09 for the outback