Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
old_rookie

Trident 13 question

I'm thinking of taking my son on it in the bay - he's about 135lbs - with him and me on it, weight isn't an issue. But, where to put him without damaging the kayak and still be reasonable to sit. I was thinking of a foam pad between the front hatch and the FF hatch - or he could just sit in the back compartment where the live bait well sits - but, would it be strong enough to support his weight? Any ideas? Trading in for a tandem yak is an option, but not one I'm considering.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
tony

In the tank well , back to back. This is assuming youre doing all the paddling......
Or I bet you could find a Scrambler,Caper,Mini-X,Explorer etc. used cheap.....good size for kids and adults can use them. Son will probably get the kayak fishing sickness too
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
rrdstarr
Junior

How old is the boy?
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I'm thinking of taking my son on it in the bay - he's about 135lbs - with him and me on it, weight isn't an issue. But, where to put him without damaging the kayak and still be reasonable to sit. I was thinking of a foam pad between the front hatch and the FF hatch - or he could just sit in the back compartment where the live bait well sits - but, would it be strong enough to support his weight? Any ideas? Trading in for a tandem yak is an option, but not one I'm considering.
Check out Craigslist or the for sale section on here and you can often find Kayaks that are ready to go. I recommend getting something that is a stable yak, Cobras are great starting out yaks and sell fast if you want to upgrade. If he has his own yak he'll be more comfortable and it will be a better trip for the both of you.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Jim Sammons LJKF

Seriously, your boy is 135 and you want to take him out fishing with you on a T13. BAD IDEA
The boat was not designed for that, it is a single not a tandem. IT is one thing to put a small child on the boat with you but not another adult and at 135 he is adult size.
Go rent a tandem for the day and enjoy your day on the water with your son, or rent him a single and let him be the captain of his own boat.
Both of you on the T13 will likely end up with one or both of you swimming. There is just no safe comfortable way to put two of you on there.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Seriously, your boy is 135 and you want to take him out fishing with you on a T13. BAD IDEA
The boat was not designed for that, it is a single not a tandem. IT is one thing to put a small child on the boat with you but not another adult and at 135 he is adult size.
Go rent a tandem for the day and enjoy your day on the water with your son, or rent him a single and let him be the captain of his own boat.
Both of you on the T13 will likely end up with one or both of you swimming. There is just no safe comfortable way to put two of you on there.
With your experience on the water Jim, I'll take your advice.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Jim Sammons LJKF

Heck you could drive over the hill and borrow my tandem if you like. I am right in front of Cowles mountain
JimSammons.com
Old 06-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
old_rookie

Quote:
Heck you could drive over the hill and borrow my tandem if you like. I am right in front of Cowles mountain
I like that idea very much - thank you! Only one concern, how much does it weigh? I do not have a roof rack on my car, I have been using a foam-n-strap kit. The Trident 13 is 60lbs - which seems to be about the max the center part of the roof can hold - already buckled it, but it did pop back out.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Jim Sammons LJKF

The listed weight is 61lbs but I would guess it is a bit heavier
JimSammons.com
Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I like that idea very much - thank you! Only one concern, how much does it weigh? I do not have a roof rack on my car, I have been using a foam-n-strap kit. The Trident 13 is 60lbs - which seems to be about the max the center part of the roof can hold - already buckled it, but it did pop back out.
Do you know anyone with a truck you could borrow for the day?
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydiego View Post
Do you know anyone with a truck you could borrow for the day?
I just realized I can use my mini-van.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdstarr View Post
How old is the boy?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #13
Jim Sammons LJKF

Well headed to Mex till the 8th, so if you want to borrow it, it will have to be after I return
JimSammons.com
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #14
old_rookie

Quote:
Well headed to Mex till the 8th, so if you want to borrow it, it will have to be after I return
Thanks Jim, I appreciate your generosity. Been really busy lately, the project manager at work said "work 80 hrs a week if you need to..." oh man, two days of 12 hours and I'm already burned out.