Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Jimm H

Big Flatty-- Late Report from Saturday

Pictures will have to follow, but the jist of it is my biggest Halibut ever yesterday at 36 lbs and 45"!

Launched in the dark at 5:15 and headed to the pier to join an eventual hoard of guys. No bait under the lights, so I figured to beat it out to the point before daylight, make bait at the kelp, and fish first light.

Everything went well, except the making bait part. Then, hardly anybody follows out, so I figure I must REALLY be out the wrong direction. At 7, I turn back north, and make the paddle back to the pier. Along the way, I get to see my old FND (still floats!), and Cabo Rick, out by the corner buoy. I tell Rick that it's either greenies at the pier or early breakfast for me.

Lucky me, Ifind greenies still at the pier, so I restart my day (now 8 am) and head north with a full load, one bait up, and one down on a 2 ounce egg sinker.

About 9:30, the down line goes off. Big YT? too easy to retrieve... it feels like kelp with a head shake. About 15 feet from the boat this BIG, brown splotch appears... nah. it can't be.... but it is. At 5 feet down, he wakes up, and busts back for the bottom. We play the up and down game three times and he come all the way to the yak. This boy is HUGE. I figure I'll stick him quick, and do, but it just pisses him off-- he goes nuts-- jumps the gaff, and down he goes again. (Glad I baked the reel off before I gaffed him)

Two more elevator trips and the fifth fime he is absolutely calm when I stick him. I'm praying out loud now as I untangle my knot of a nylon stringer, and gingerly thread the needle end thru his mouth and gill. I then double wrap both ends around my right hand twice, like I'm bull-riding, and take the gaff out of his side. He goes nuts again, thrashing in the water next to the boat, and soaking me. But, after about thirty seconds, he's worn again, and I can tie him off.

Nice end to a bad start!

Pics as soon as I upload them.

Jimm H
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
sterling

Awesome Jim!!!!! Haven't seen you in awhile figured you are now a part of the PB crew!! I just didn't have the energy to get out yesterday. Wish I was there to see you land that BEAST!!

Sterling
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
kurt

Beautiful fish, Jimm. Most people would have just called it a day, but your perseverance in going back to the pier really paid off.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice Job Jimm... This is what we were all looking for Saturday!!

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
Fishin Phil

Flatty

Hey Jimm,
what depth were you when you hooked up?
Fishin Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:13 AM   #6
Slay Rider

Quote:
I'm praying out loud now
Shame I missed that :shock:

Good job my friend.

SR
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Aaron&Julie

NICE! Congratulations on yer barndoor.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
dmr

Nice looking halibut Jimm. Great play by play.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
lamb

Jimm,

Awesome and cool!!!

Hey, just to remind you – Bad Lamb Fo Sho Team is always looking for talent… Old yak school with experience fishing from multiple floating platforms is highly sought (though that CG inflatable is quite radical…)... :lol: You'd have to play WCW though, required by corporate team policy... :lol:

Very nice flat piece, big time congrats…
Old 09-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
ski

Great fish, Jim! BIG congrats
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:54 AM   #11
rdahl

Jimm, congrats. I was feeling bad for you after I saw you paddling back to find bait and whining that it didn't look fishy! I figured you were probably home crying in your cereal by the time I got to the point. Good thing you stuck with it. At about 9:30 found some yt off the condo, and was thinking, damn, Jimm probably went home with clean gloves. That is a great fish. I'm glad you're back paddling.

Rick
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote