Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 2/08 PM

Back on bug patrol since the wife laid claim to last night's haul for some girl's night on Friday. Got out just before sunset and headed out into a slightly larger swell. Big rollers had me a bit nervous since I was paddling solo, but my spot was still away from the main breaks so I set up shop there. Better once it got dark, then I couldn't see the swells and started to relax. Pretty much the same story as last night. Narrow crawl window, done by 8:00pm. Lots of shorts, couple of eels, couple of spider crabs, and 6 legals.

Made cold lobster and pasta salad that didn't come out that great. Missing something. Any suggestions?
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
phughes

Nice haul. Good to see something coming back in for dinner in light of the slow going the last week or so.
phughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
DESTROYER

Brad- It's all about Fresh Herbs and the Correct amount of acid. The best herb that goes with lobster is Tarragon. If you were to make a Tarragon Vinaigrette and mix that with your pasta...it would be the bomb.

1 cup Champagne Vinager
2 1/2 cups Blended olive oil
2 bunches fresh tarragon (Chopped Fine)
2 each Shallot (minced)
salt to taste
black pepper to taste

*let this sit for an hour, this will be even better the next day

I just did a party last night use local lobster poached then chilled. I cut them in three chunks...half tails! Hearts of Romaine, Sliced Fuji Apples and pickled red onions with that vinaigrette...Try it!

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
madscientist

Thanks Matt. I was looking for tarragon last night but I think the wife used it all up. The apple is a good idea as well, give it some different texture. I still have a bunch so I'll add those and hopefully improve it.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
T-Rex

Sounds like a great recipe..gonna give it a try this weekend!

As far as cooking goes, I've been splitting bugs in half, cleaning them and then stir-frying/steaming them with white wine & tarragon. Definitely gives the meat a better flavor than boiling whole. It was mentioned on another board that boiling can sometimes impart a funky taste to WC spiny lobster.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

I can't stand it any longer. I am going tonight around sunset. Hope the wind dies, the swells around the point are going to be enough to deal with.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
madscientist

Watch yourself. There's about one every hour that really get's your attention. :shock: Good luck.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #8
DESTROYER

What you heard about boailing them is false. You boil them, make sure you salt the water very very well. a one and half pound lobster only takes about 8 minutes to be cooked if that. I never boil mine all the way unless i'm going to cool them down in a ice batch and serve them cold in a salad. Locals are the very best with a dry rub: Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt, Black Pepper, Paprika, Oregano, and a little Alspice, then grille them and dip it in drawn butter....YOUR FRIENDS WILL LOVE YOU!

TL-MATT
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
madscientist

I've been steaming them in beer and that seems to work well. takes a little longer than boiling though.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
T-Rex

Matt,

Thanks for the info...I'll try using more salt. That last recipe got me motivated to hit DP tonight!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Nice...
I will have some free time next week and will be hitting it.
Hopefully they will want to crawl in my nets.

Uh, Matt, all of these recipes you're throwing out, I will supply the fluid if you do the cooking...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
Pat

Damn...fishing must be terrible if everyone is getting excited about cooking. :?

Somebody please turn this bite on.

Jimm H go travelling overseas or something.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #13
lamb

:lol:

I'll bet you $$ numero 38 is turning this one on.

Or this is some sort curse, nasty spell... It will be lifted if and only if Jimm signs up to WCW 06.

...he set us up with the new rules... :lol:
Old 10-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOYER THE FISH DESTROYER
What you heard about boailing them is false. You boil them, make sure you salt the water very very well. a one and half pound lobster only takes about 8 minutes to be cooked if that. I never boil mine all the way unless i'm going to cool them down in a ice batch and serve them cold in a salad. Locals are the very best with a dry rub: Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt, Black Pepper, Paprika, Oregano, and a little Alspice, then grille them and dip it in drawn butter....YOUR FRIENDS WILL LOVE YOU!

TL-MATT
Hey Matt,

Just tried this and it worked GREAT. Salting the water well is the hot ticket. Also added some garlic, onion, bay leaf, quarterd lemons, chili oil, paprika & cajun spices to the boil. Then the dry rub & a quick trip to the grille. I just had some for lunch and all I can say is MY FRIENDS ARE OUT OF LUCK!!! :lol:

Thanks for the tip.

TL
Rex