Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
bmercury

LJ Firsts

None of them good firsts sadly... Went for an afternoon session today.

First time time taking 4 huge ones over the bow and getting totally soaked while launching. Wasn't sure I was gonna make it out there without flipping.

First time dropping anything off the side of my yak while fishing... lost a folding knife while cutting bait

First skunk, unless you count catching bait. Didn't catch anything other than bait, lots of greenbacks which not even the seals wanted today.

Most importantly... First yard sale

Flipped on the way back in. Usually I just jump out once I hit waist deep water and walk it in but I timed it poorly I suppose. Or just went out there on a day with surf too big for my skill level.

Lost a promar collapsible landing net, shattered my wristwatch, and nearly lost my rods and reels even though they were tied down... 2 out of the 3 hobie leashes came undone. Luckily they were wrapped up around my PFD when I flipped . My PFD also was definitely not tightened appropriately as it came halfway off.

Nearly lost my hat which came off. Almost lost my beach wheels which washed up on the shore.

Lessons learned I suppose
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

First skunk?! From september 2010 - september 2014....thats pretty good in my book! First yard sale as well?!

Like i said thats pretty good...nothing to feel bad about.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Can you please estimate the time of yard sale so that we may rewind the LJ webcam?
It's for scientific purposes on where your stuff might be right now.

Just kidding, how big was the surf? And what kind of kayak?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
bmercury

I haven't had a yak that long. in 2010 I was fishing off a board which is a lot more forgiving coming back in through the surf.

I have a revo... and it was around 6:30 I was coming in I think. But I try to avoid being in view of the webcam while landing and launching.

Surf was waist to occasionally chest high I would say. Torrey pines outer buoy showed around 5ft for the time I was out there. Swell was a little big for my comfort while on the water.

Before I even entered the surf I was pretty sure I would flip on the way back in did I didn't time it perfectly.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Cbad Mike

I want to see the video!
It could have been worse........ You could have gotten your ride stuck in the sand too.
Thanks for posting.