Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Paradise for a week - Gonzaga May 2017

WOW, is all I can say for my first trip down to Bobs Place... Mako, thanks a million for everything, I had the trip of a lifetime and have no clue how I could ever repay you for everything; thanks for being so inviting and providing that community aspect that is lost upon so many nowadays...

Short rundown on the trip..

Weather - First couple days was windy, Wed. we got to camp with white caps OTW and winds blowing easy 15+ knots but it all glassed out right around dinner, perfect enough to get OTW for a quick twilight session (per you not feeling like you where going to give birth due to eating so well).. After about Friday, we had GLASS conditions till about mid Sunday, with Winds down in the 5 knot range and lower with temps in the 90's to mid 90's... There was an extreme tide change going on the first couple of days as well as you can see in the pic, the tides changed easy 15+ feet within the span of a few hours... this somewhat effected fishing but not too much..

Food - EXCELLENT, Clementina will be your best friend if you appreciate authentic mexican cuisine.. Chile Verde, Fajitas, Pulpo Gratinado Con Queso, Chicken Mole, the works, we had it all, always with fresh rice, beans, salsa and hand made tortillas and the cheapest of prices; seriously next to heaven on earth.. Oh and the breakfast and lunch is amazing to! Fresh hard tacos, Chilaquiles, you want it she had it!! The one picture is of freshly caught scallops the evening before served for breakfast that day, fried up to perfection con Papas y Frijoles

Fishing - GREAT and Constant.. A few yellowtails caught in the 7/8-15 pound range, same with the cabrilla, only a few but on the 7-10 lb size and of course the sierras, triggers, and spotties (.5-1.5 lb range) which where constant... At one point I was off the point using a wire double dropper; a dart jig as the weight and two size 3/0 trokars with orange colored garlic minnows on the droppers and at first the triggers and sierras where just ripping the back end of the plastic up and not latching on so i pulled out the filet knife and started cutting the baits to hook size and it was on from there... at one point, which was later identified as a smooth hound shark, about 3 foot long 15 pounds hit my on the drop! Flipped out of free spool and it was a 10 minute sleigh ride from there!! Just all around fun! Largest fish for me the trip but the fishing was constant so that made it all the much better...

Caravanned down there and back up, with Sentri on the way in it was about a 1-2 minute wait for the 1 car in front of me and right on to the offices for the FMM.. The way back was a bit longer had to go through secondary due to my first time using sentri (vehicle inspection) but all went well and I was on my way in no time, about 15 minutes..

To all the awesome gentleman I met, thanks for the great stories and even better times.. P.s. Kai, that smoked pulled pork was truly the business and I am not really a fan of Coleslaw ever but i could have eaten that stuff by the spoon full

Here are some pics I hope you enjoy... I did not have the camera while fishing most of the time so i guess as that goes, it didn't happen (and it kind of didn't because it was so nice in the shade relaxing I posted up half the trip reading a book )

Till Next time!
Attached Images

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Just seen those pictures makes me hungry! Good times...

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:50 AM   #3
Gr8fuldude

Awesome meeting you and hanging out Stevie! Thanks for the pics. That was a very fun trip, even though a short one for me.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:07 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Nice report Stevie, thanks. Glad you enjoyed yourself, hurry back. It was good having you in camp. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
taggermike

Another great report from Mako-ville.

Plastic bait are almost unusable around triggers.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Corvina
Junior

Missed this one but I heard it was a cracker....
Corvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
MrPukaShell

We missed you Brian. Weather was perfect and the fishing was too for some of us. Hope to fish with you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
Missed this one but I heard it was a cracker....
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
farreola

Miss Baja
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote