Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #41
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
If we had the same amount of interest and backing back in early 2009 we wouldn't be behind the 8-ball. I recall when we had the Bloodydecks sponsored caravan in the summer of 2009 to get the word out, it was embarrasing to see what little support we received from the local fisherman. Put the word out that there is a hot barrucuda bite at the horseshoe kelp and you have a carbon copy of what LJ looks like during a WSB bite. If we had the same amount of boats in the caravan that are out on the water during a barrucuda bite I can assure you we would have received some sort of news coverage. Regardless, I know the fight isn't over and it will go on for a long time.

What bothers me most is that we still have local fisherman out there that have no clue what the MLPA is or that closures are going into effect starting 2012. On Thursday 12/22/11 we actually talked to a local fisherman at the Cabrillo boat launch that had no clue what was going on. When we mentioned closures he said, "Yes, I know....no rockfish, no lingcod, no sheepheads....blah blah blah". We proceeded to tell him that we were not talking about seasonal closures, we were talking about permanent closures.

When he walked away I felt as if he was saying to himself that we're f-en nuts, how could a mexican, a pollock and a white guy who fish from a kayak know more about fishing then me and my two buddies who are fishing from a boat......end of rant.
Some say ignorance is "bliss", in this case, I say it's moronic and pitiful.
Come on people wake up, this is your passion we're talking about.
Well, at least it is ours.
Aaron&Julie
Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #42
bellcon

At the risk of being a "pitiful moron"
what the heck is the plan here?

Your first post says:
Quote:
If we can get any news TV station flying over head to televise our showing Jan 1st, I'm definitely in.
Aaron (Julie and my signature phrase applies)
That's a big "If", Did you get the publicity you were looking for?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #43
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
At the risk of being a "pitiful moron"
what the heck is the plan here?

Your first post says:

That's a big "If", Did you get the publicity you were looking for?

The pitiful morons I was referring to, were the private boaters Jorluivil mentioned in his response that seemed to know nothing about the MLPA.

Jimmyz123 has mentioned, in one of his responses, that he has some connection with personnel at KUSI and CBS, and he might contact the Turko Files. I have not yet called any news stations yet, I was kind of waiting to see if there was even going to be much of a showing, and at this point, the list of kayakers is rather small (20-25). I'm not sure about the private boater's group that may show up, also. Anybody know about that?
There's still plenty of time for this list to grow. I was going to send emails and make some phone calls (if worthwhile, depending on the size of our group) around Dec 28th-30th, so it's current to what we are doing.
See my other posts in this thread, about my "suggestion" for showing up on Jan 1st, with time, location and signs. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #44
tacmik

Ok. Been thru this post several times and still cannot figure out where to sign up to let ya'll know that I plan on coming. I understand it is at 8 am on the first at La Jolla.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #45
Aaron&Julie

Basically, you just did by posting. That's where I thought the response list would be generated.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #46
ashmoz

I'm in with the brothers... 3 total.
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #47
Minnow
Junior

MLPA, Spotted Owl, Wild Horse, bit by bit.

They are well financed and will take advantage of your weakness. They have no problem lying. They rarely lose.
Just my take, but the name "Bloody Decks" is not a good start.
If they claim the area is over fished come back with "Catch and Release" "Barbless".
Lose the "meat hunter" image fast. You are the hunted.
Pride comes before the fall.

Minnow
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #48
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnow View Post
They are well financed and will take advantage of your weakness. They have no problem lying. They rarely lose.
Just my take, but the name "Bloody Decks" is not a good start.
If they claim the area is over fished come back with "Catch and Release" "Barbless".
Lose the "meat hunter" image fast. You are the hunted.
Pride comes before the fall.

Minnow
Ummm, what?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #49
Jimmyz123

Calls to Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
The pitiful morons I was referring to, were the private boaters Jorluivil mentioned in his response that seemed to know nothing about the MLPA.

Jimmyz123 has mentioned, in one of his responses, that he has some connection with personnel at KUSI and CBS, and he might contact the Turko Files. I have not yet called any news stations yet, I was kind of waiting to see if there was even going to be much of a showing, and at this point, the list of kayakers is rather small (20-25). I'm not sure about the private boater's group that may show up, also. Anybody know about that?
There's still plenty of time for this list to grow. I was going to send emails and make some phone calls (if worthwhile, depending on the size of our group) around Dec 28th-30th, so it's current to what we are doing.
See my other posts in this thread, about my "suggestion" for showing up on Jan 1st, with time, location and signs. Thanks.
I have put in calls and e-mails to KUSI, KFMB, KGTV, and KNSD and have not heard anything back. Maybe if more than just me contact these media stations it will show them that we are serious. I went to BloodyDecks to see what type of support they are getting and quite honestly could not find a thread promoting anything for the first of January. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. What I'm wondering is if we should plan this for a day when it's not in direct competition with New Years Eve. I'm sure we would get more people to show up if this were not in direct competition with the New Year celebrations.

Is there anyway we can get a true count of who really will be there?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #50
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I have put in calls and e-mails to KUSI, KFMB, KGTV, and KNSD and have not heard anything back. Maybe if more than just me contact these media stations it will show them that we are serious. I went to BloodyDecks to see what type of support they are getting and quite honestly could not find a thread promoting anything for the first of January. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. What I'm wondering is if we should plan this for a day when it's not in direct competition with New Years Eve. I'm sure we would get more people to show up if this were not in direct competition with the New Year celebrations.

agreed with the conflict on the weekend, and would the 1st really be the best day, as United Anglers just filed suit on Dec 15th, and maybe if we have other clubs involved would be stronger showing
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #51
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post

I'm not sure we should start a list, now. I agree the competition for all the New Year festivities is pretty great.
I've also sent emails out to some news stations without any response, yet.
With the appeal on Dec 15th, the closure looks like it may be delayed for some months, is that correct, Paul?
Thanks to the many that have indicated they would show up on Jan 1st, but it does appear this may be bad timing with all that entails the Eve and Day celebrations. A showing of 25 kayakers, and who knows how many private boaters, isn't going to gather much attention. A showing like a Matt Moyer Tournament of a 150 or more kayakers, plus the mulititude of PBers on that summer weekend, all carrying signs against the MLPA, while fishing, with media exposure, might get noticed.
Let's postpone this to a later date. Someone indicated this appeal might delay the closure until late into 2012, which means a massive protest, i.e. signs and large group, might be a better choice.
Sorry for those that were wound up to do this thing now. Keep that mojo going, we still may need it.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #52
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
With the appeal on Dec 15th, the closure looks like it may be delayed for some months, is that correct, Paul?
I'm sad to say that no, the recent Coastside / PSO appeal will not delay the south coast closures. Without getting too deep into the weeds, some of the south coast issues weren't "ripe" for a lawsuit because the state law hadn't gone into effect.

If the original lawsuit had been successful, a delay would have been likely. Now we have to wait for the appeals court. The PSO said they hope they'll get a favorable decision by late 2012. Any changes that follow should also apply to the south coast closures.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #53
Aaron&Julie

Boo! Sorry for getting anybody's hopes high for fishing the areas that will be closed next week. I'll still root and hope that appeal can result in something positive for us, down here.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #54
Willy

Soooo...
Are we going to 'occupy' the ocean or is it fizzling?
I'm a bit confused.

More than willing,
Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #55
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Soooo...
I'm a bit confused.

More than willing,
Willy
I don't think it's fizzling, I think we are/need to get all of our ducks in a row first...If this "occupy" deal is going to do any good at all we need numbers...big numbers...it will happen
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #56
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

There is going to be a Wall Street occupy force at the Rose Parade starting Jan.1 . Maybe the media would rather see Riot Police kicking in faces and not us with are Plastic Navy.
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #57
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Soooo...
I'm a bit confused.

More than willing,
Willy
Sad to say, fizzling. Not enough people to make a point, no response from the media, to Jimmyz123, or myself.
Show up, if you'd like, but New Year's weekend wasn't a good choice, afterall, and not enough bodies to make an impact.