Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Davidgskinner
Junior

My big fat mistake

Hey there,
Been lurking on this board for a while and had to join in today. I am pretty new to kayak fishing, although i used to take my skiff to the LJ kelp pretty regularly. So today I figured I would head out and try for some bass. i launch around 6:30 (pretty sure some of you were there in that fog) and am making my way out. I figured I would try trolling my old rapala cd 14. It used to work for me, although I didn't really think I would hook into anything since I wasn't too sure how the trolling would go on a kayak. Mistake.
About 20 minutes in I see boiling and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz off it went. Dang if that wasn't panic time, although I got a hold of myself and started fighting. Wasn't sure what I had on but it was a hard puller. So I worked this guy for nearly half an hour, he took at least 4 hard runs down and it was so frickin awesome getting towed by a good fish. Finally, I get him to color and see it is a very nice yellow. At this point I realize I am completely unprepared...no gaff, no billy, no net, no nothing. So after another run I am thinking he's worn out. I get him alongside and was just stoked at how big he is. He is acting all lethargic and had stopped fighting. He is on his side right next to me so I figured I could kil him with the one tool I did bring; my fillet knife. So I punch it right through his gills. No reaction. Blood is pouring nicely out and still no reaction. I figure he's dead so I reach through his gill plate and holy smokes, he woke up! One big flail of tail in my face and snap went the line. Down he went trailing blood and my lure tucked into his jaw.
I just sat there quivering...
So I guess the lesson is, "Don't fish for em unless you ready to deal with them!"
So, after all of that, even after that heartbreak, kayak fishing is just freaking awesome. I will be back and ready next time.
Davidgskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
tagyak

enjoyed reading this report. really got excited about that yellow and the fight that you had.
bummer to hear that it got away but at least you got a nice ride out of it.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

great effort though, shoulda woulda coulda, one more run..I know how you feel though, next time it will stickwelcome to the addiction
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
great effort though, shoulda woulda coulda, one more run..I know how you feel though, next time it will stickwelcome to the addiction
The agony of defeat.

Next time just grab his gill plate and hold on tight.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
yani

Here's a tip: grab the tail
Old 08-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
hook1fred

I had a similar experience a while back, was able to get one of my yellows the other came off boatside...... oh well at least you stretched your line
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Whizz Bang

Congratulations on your kill and release.

The knife was not needed. Leave the knife fighting to the Darkhorse's hook and hand videos.

You never bleed a fish that is not secured. No game clip, check. No gaff, got it. Get the damn thing in your hull and pop it's gills. Again, no knife needed. Bleach and a hose will fix your lack of preparedness, it always does.

Other than that.....welcome to the forum.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

Wink "no gaff, no billy,no net, no nothing" no brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidgskinner View Post
Hey there,
Been lurking on this board for a while and had to join in today. I am pretty new to kayak fishing, although i used to take my skiff to the LJ kelp pretty regularly. So today I figured I would head out and try for some bass. i launch around 6:30 (pretty sure some of you were there in that fog) and am making my way out. I figured I would try trolling my old rapala cd 14. It used to work for me, although I didn't really think I would hook into anything since I wasn't too sure how the trolling would go on a kayak. Mistake.
About 20 minutes in I see boiling and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz off it went. Dang if that wasn't panic time, although I got a hold of myself and started fighting. Wasn't sure what I had on but it was a hard puller. So I worked this guy for nearly half an hour, he took at least 4 hard runs down and it was so frickin awesome getting towed by a good fish. Finally, I get him to color and see it is a very nice yellow. At this point I realize I am completely unprepared...no gaff, no billy, no net, no nothing. So after another run I am thinking he's worn out. I get him alongside and was just stoked at how big he is. He is acting all lethargic and had stopped fighting. He is on his side right next to me so I figured I could kil him with the one tool I did bring; my fillet knife. So I punch it right through his gills. No reaction. Blood is pouring nicely out and still no reaction. I figure he's dead so I reach through his gill plate and holy smokes, he woke up! One big flail of tail in my face and snap went the line. Down he went trailing blood and my lure tucked into his jaw.
I just sat there quivering...
So I guess the lesson is, "Don't fish for em unless you ready to deal with them!"
So, after all of that, even after that heartbreak, kayak fishing is just freaking awesome. I will be back and ready next time.
Why would you be trolling a rapalla, while targeting bass, with no means of securing a chance large fish? "Blood is pouring nicely out", "Down he went trailing blood and my lure tucked into his jaw" We have all done dumb things, better left unsaid, but you make this sound like you are writing a novel. Hope you have all your safety precautions in order.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Didn't like this at all
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
kendog
Junior

ahh thats a bummer!! better luck next time.

..correct me if i am wrong, but isnt it required by law to have a net on your yak if you are ocean fishing???
kendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
Rambo

Great job though David. I had a similar experience going out for the unexpected. It was a first for me to catch Mr. T on my first hard shell kayak a first time out with Caden also. Man, you'll never forget the first heart pounding feeling to see a big fish take your line and after that long fight to have that fish near your kayak. I say, take it with a smile even though you didn't pull the fish up on your kayak. There's always a next time and a better chance to land a bigger fish, and you'll be more prepared. Make sure you strap down all your gears, I'm learning the hard way.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog View Post
ahh thats a bummer!! better luck next time.

..correct me if i am wrong, but isnt it required by law to have a net on your yak if you are ocean fishing???
I believe its only required when you're targeting certain species. I know Halibut is one of them, not sure what the others are.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #13
Davidgskinner
Junior

I think you are right Kendog, the regs say you need a net onboard. 28.65 (d)
I just looked it up.
Davidgskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
frugalfisher

Always loosen your drag!

Whenever you are about to try something like grabbing a fish barehanded, especially a pelagic species. Then after you realize your mistake of stabbing the fish first, you would of had a chance. Tailing a fish is easy once you paddle about 1000 miles. My grip strength is enough to crush a windpipe. ;O

Ask questions, be prepared, don't post ignorance here (unless you are the one hurt or it turned out with the prize fish)(my opinion). This is public and it makes all of us look bad.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
RK

Oh rad you bled a fish and then let it swim away.......
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #16
bigbarrels

Next time just grab his gill plate and hold on tight.[/QUOTE]

x2
Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
ChefT

A blessing it wasn't a WSB.... our friends over at Hubbs work to hard to
to keep the local species flourishing....(WSB, YT, HAli)

But a life is a life...

Respect the Ocean and our kids and kids kids will be able to enjoy it as well.
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
Congratulations on your kill and release.

The knife was not needed. Leave the knife fighting to the Darkhorse's hook and hand videos.

You never bleed a fish that is not secured. No game clip, check. No gaff, got it. Get the damn thing in your hull and pop it's gills. Again, no knife needed. Bleach and a hose will fix your lack of preparedness, it always does.

Other than that.....welcome to the forum.
x2+ release the drag so if it does run after you gently grab him from the gill plate he doesn't snap the line.....even after bled they will flop an hour later....they don't need that much o2.....better luck next time glad you got excited but dont be proud. welcome aboard
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
Dan

grab em by the motor next time. scallywag style.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #20
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I hope that fish was eating by a bigger prey and not wasted.

But the biggest lesson is to learn from your errors.

Last edited by wiredantz; 08-19-2011 at 12:25 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote