Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
HobieOneCanoebe

Friday 7/9 LJ fishing report

Woke up a bit late made it down to the beach by 5:30 and met up with kayak808. Conditions were about as good as you could ask for on the launch 1-2ft toe ticklers with 1-2mph wind. Went just outside the mpa and there was a pack of 15 people 6 private boats the rest yakkers. I trolled around them and found a few good bait balls got some monster green backs I mean over a foot long I was debating cooking them up but just froze them. I hooked 1 greenback on a dropper loop with a small weight at first and 1 on a drop shot rig but my macky kept falling off my dropshot rig any ideas why that would happen? Anyways continued to troll around the perimeter of the crowd and marked really good fish at 25 feet and along the bottom around 60 feet down but couldn't keep my bait on my dropshot rig long enough to get it down to them. Ended up cutting the weight off my dropshot and fly lining that for another few hours with no luck. Towards the end of the day I saw some birds going off on the outside so I hauled ass out there threw my lightest iron at it for 45 minutes and decided to head in. Overall not a bad day I am 0/7 at la jolla but with the weather and all the sea life I saw out there I can't complain there's nothing like a nice paddle around out there to end off a long week of work, plus it helps my buddy speared a 270lb bluefin that I got some of seared ahi for days.
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
silentsmell

Thanks for the timely report! I rather skunk than be at this desk
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

did you see anyone else hooking up? I plan to go out tomorrow.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
HobieOneCanoebe

I saw a couple private boats hook up looked like they were jigging or just drinking beer with a few poles in their holders lol. After a while most of the kayakers went way the f out there though where the charter boats usually rock fish idk what they were doing but you never know one of them couldv'e hooked up. All I can say is bring a good dropper loop and your favorite iron the fish are 20+ feet deep with the occasional surface bait ball. On a better note though I did meter a ton of good grade fish so they are out there!
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Change your dropshot for a dropper loop and use a bigger hook. 3/0 +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
maquinapescado

Only because you put the in there I am gonna bust your balls. You got Ahi? = yellowfin, not bluefin. 9.5% IPA's and three hours of sleep in thirty-five hours = smart ass. Better luck next time
Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post

Dropshots are good for bass with soft plastics...it would restrict movement of a lively mack. Go with what YakDout mentioned and go longer on the leader to hook....seeing success with 6+' vice 18". No more than 30lb line...you can get away with 40lb flourocarbon but 30 will do where your at. Knocker rig a 1 ounce egg sinker to slow troll a mack vice flyline for now...it'll get it down a Lil to where you were metering...they won't be skittish of the weight next to the hook...recently proven. If you don't like a droper you can use a 3 way swivel...also a carolina rig has been working...get some carolina keepers or use a good rated swivel...long leader to hook, when the weight hits bottom feed it out a Lil for freedom...here's a good site to see pics http://miamifishing.com/fishing-repo...ehensive-guide I grew up in Florida and these rigs are universal

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited by pingpangdang; 07-09-2016 at 10:35 PM.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post

2x. Dropper with weight to match current, 3/0-5/0 circle hook with 30/35/40# floro leader. I run a 5' leader to spider hitch, 12-18" loop, 5' to weight. Less knots the better.

Or flyline with no weight out the back. Unless its squid.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote