Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
KennyHill

seal removal in la jolla

You guys may have read this already. But i thought it was pretty interesting incase you havnt.

Judge orders removal of seals from Children's Pool
Old 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Joe11

I love it. A 19 year old little girl with close to zero life experience, likely living off of mommy and Daddy's money organized a protest. A future bleeding heart liberal activest that will probably live off of tax dollars paid by the businesses and people that she will be working to place additional restrictions on and eventually drive out of the State.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
prowlerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
I love it. A 19 year old little girl with close to zero life experience, likely living off of mommy and Daddy's money organized a protest. A future bleeding heart liberal activest that will probably live off of tax dollars paid by the businesses and people that she will be working to place additional restrictions on and eventually drive out of the State.

Probably has hairy pits too....
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
paddydigital

SO DOES THIS MEAN WE ARE CLUB'IN BABY SEALS NOW...HAAAA! CRAZY DAY ON THURSDAY!
paddydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
KennyHill

I think i will paddle out just to get a front row seat for the
seal lady VS City of la jolla face off.
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

For the first time that I can remember, I am thankful for a pig headed judge who does not give a crap about public opinion. Usually they are on the wrong side of most issues. In this case, IMHO, the judge is right. Long live the judge.

I will not hold my breath waiting for a quick and positive outcome however.

The bigger problem is represented by Christine Kehoe's response to a reporter's question. Kehoe said she hopes the legislation, which does not go into effect until Jan. 1, will give the city more ammunition if it appeals Hofmann's decision. “Hopefully, the seals will be allowed to stay,” she said. “After listening to the debate for over 10 years, my feeling is the vast majority of San Diegans would like to see the seals remain there undisturbed.”

The vast majority? Most of those people have never even seen a seal up close, or smelled its poop. They just see the cute pictures and make up their minds based on that.

As of this evening, the Governor, whom I have mostly supported, appears to have caved in to the seal lovers. He signed a law giving the City the right to change the terms of the Scripps trust setting aside the area for children. Of course, you know which way the politicians will go on this issue.

I think it is safe to say that they have won.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 07-21-2009 at 08:35 AM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Screwed again

Thanks to Arnold.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
CurtyL

Probably gonna start a small war here...but here goes. yeah they smell bad, and certainly they're no fun when they steal my macs. never had one steal my YT though, but I imagine that would send me over the top, especially given the slump I've been in this year. Believe me, I've thought about bringing a CO2 pistol with me on more than one occasion ....never did though. To me it's all part of the game. There's few better feelings than the disapointed look on a seals face when he ealizes he just swam all the way over to you only to find you reeled your bait in and are heading someplace else. Don't you guys think that, MLPA tree-hugging aside, the human species pretty much owns the state's (hell make it the country's) coastal seas, and the beaches and waterways that border it? I mean if you look north from IB, what areas aren't humans in complete control over as far as Santa Barbara - not counting Camp Pendelton? Can't we give these creatures a break? I really don't care if they stay or they go, but I don't care if they stay either. Are the seals really that bad? Do we really need that cove so bad?
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
whitedog

I'm down to start reeling them pup's in, catch and release of course.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
joyjiggin'

Ellen Browning Scripps made it a gift and gave it the name "Children's Pool." Whether or not seals are "cute" and are the poster pet of the enviros. I'd like to think that her wishes would be respected.
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtyL View Post
Do we really need that cove so bad?
The seals don't need the cove that bad either.

That cove used to be a great spot for kids, divers, fishermen etc. There really is no other place like it along the coastline.

Yea, I really do miss it... especially because I used to use it all the time.

If you don't think that cove is a big deal, it is only because the seals have stunk up and pretty much ruined it.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Podaker

just thought i would let you guys know that i went down there yesterday (sunday) in the afternoon.

trying to keep my cool i almost did a back flip and started running around screaming YES, YES, YES!!!!!

the only animals on the beach were humans. yes parents and children all over the beach and swimming in the water. there were about 4 seals in the deeper water with the look on there face like what the hell happened?

not that i would want to swim in that water(for obvious reasons) but if people feel like it let them go for it. the seals will go back to seal rock, a more natural habitat for them.

this is what that beach was designed for, let the kids play!!!

but please dredge this area soon.

Last edited by Podaker; 07-20-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

This battle is far from over...it is for CHILDREN....

Non-swimmers need to realize, don't look at the water and assume its abundant...

This was built for our future...for our children...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
j mo

Protest

FYI the so called Seal activists organized a rally of sorts tonight, at 5pm at the pool. Just in case anyone is interested in trolling for chicks with hairy armpits or voicing your oppinion on why the city council should honor the law and return the pool to the children.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #15
CurtyL

For the kids? Does anyone else here think the kids have more space thab they'll ever need?
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #16
steamroll

Quote:
Probably gonna start a small war here...but here goes. yeah they smell bad, and certainly they're no fun when they steal my macs. never had one steal my YT though, but I imagine that would send me over the top, especially given the slump I've been in this year. Believe me, I've thought about bringing a CO2 pistol with me on more than one occasion ....never did though. To me it's all part of the game. There's few better feelings than the disapointed look on a seals face when he ealizes he just swam all the way over to you only to find you reeled your bait in and are heading someplace else. Don't you guys think that, MLPA tree-hugging aside, the human species pretty much owns the state's (hell make it the country's) coastal seas, and the beaches and waterways that border it? I mean if you look north from IB, what areas aren't humans in complete control over as far as Santa Barbara - not counting Camp Pendelton? Can't we give these creatures a break? I really don't care if they stay or they go, but I don't care if they stay either. Are the seals really that bad? Do we really need that cove so bad?

1. You're confusing seals with sea lions.

2. Those same seals used to hang out on the rocks next to the childrens pool. They were happy and content.

3. The over protection of seals(and other marine mammals) has caused an increase in GWS activity in our area. In years past San Diego was merely a breeding/birthing grounds for GWS. In recent years, they have shifted and began to hunt and eat in our waters. Check out the Pacific Coast reports on www.sharkresearchcommittee.com

4. You shouldn't be content to watch the government break the law and steal land that was set aside for a specific purpose.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #17
RubiconAg
Junior

Quote:
For the kids? Does anyone else here think the kids have more space thab they'll ever need?

Just like joyjiggin stated, this is not about seals, hell for that matter, if Scripps had left it in a trust to the seals I would support the enviros cause to keep humans out of it. However, the pool was left in a trust for "Children" to use as a play area. This is more about the moral fibers of which this country was created. If a person goes through the legal process to reserve personal property for a particular use, that reservation must be respected.

Not to get to polictical but take Prop 8, I don't care which side you stand on, the people voted and made their voice heard. If a court overrules this decision then what good is your vote on any matter?

I think the Judge and the Federal Court that dismissed the lawsuit sent a very clear message, they will honor a legal binding document regardless of a special interested group....this is democracy as it should be! Viva La Childrens Pool!
RubiconAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #18
Dennis

I would love to have more of these around...

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=135385
Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #19
j mo

"Big Up Steam Roll"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamroll View Post

4. You shouldn't be content to watch the government break the law and steal land that was set aside for a specific purpose.

Last edited by j mo; 07-21-2009 at 07:03 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #20
Matt
Support your local pangas

They are always, always, always there!!! I get nervous when I see seals split fo' sho'! It will take some poor youngster getting mauled while swimming in the cove and then all the huggers and kehoe's will change their tunes and go "why didn't we do something earlier???" A little like a movie I once saw....I think the movie was called "Jaws"