Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
PescadorPete

Use the Glorietta Bay Boat Launching Ramp. Drop your kayak off and park your vehicle on Strand Way (get there early to park). Eel grass area is easy to spot. I've also had good luck along Tidelands Park and around the Coronado bridge supports but they may be off limits due to security angst.

As Mike said, sabikis tipped with white bread rolled up in pea sized balls is good for smelts. I usually flatten the sabiki hook barbs so as to not damage the smelts.

It's a very mellow and relaxing place to fish.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Wouldn't launching from Tidelands be easier/closer to the areas you would want to fish?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Wouldn't launching from Tidelands be easier/closer to the areas you would want to fish?
X2

That's where I launch.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
fongman

for bonefish, I use a dropshot rig on a light spinning setup (10# braid with 6 - 8# fluoro leader). Tie a size 1 or 2 octopus hook about 30" from a 1/2 oz. weight.

I prefer my 9 ft surf rods so I can whip it around the bow quickly when they make a run. Plus it allows me to hold the rod tip higher so I'm not dragging the ghost shrimp through the eelgrass. I'll pump ghost shrimps before I head out, but frozen shrimp sounds a whole lot easier and it will still on the hook better!

Good Luck!
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongman View Post
for bonefish, I use a dropshot rig on a light spinning setup (10# braid with 6 - 8# fluoro leader). Tie a size 1 or 2 octopus hook about 30" from a 1/2 oz. weight.

I prefer my 9 ft surf rods so I can whip it around the bow quickly when they make a run. Plus it allows me to hold the rod tip higher so I'm not dragging the ghost shrimp through the eelgrass. I'll pump ghost shrimps before I head out, but frozen shrimp sounds a whole lot easier and it will still on the hook better!

Good Luck!
We'd love to pump our own ghost shrimp, whereabout do you get your's?

Thanks, A&J

P.S. Like the idea of the of your 9 footer, we were going to bring one each along with some other outfits. Ours 9 footers are nice and whippy. We'll bring frozen shrimp as backup.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
taggermike

As you're crossing the bridge heading west, Tide lands is the cove and park you'll see off to your right. To get to the area I mentioned you do need to paddle passed all the docks before you turn right (south).

You can't eat them, they're kinda funny looking, n super slimy, but Bone fish do fight. Ive found they make long straight runs out, then come straight back under the yak, n take off out the other side. Fastest fish I've ever fought in the bay for sure. I usually use 6lb. Which is plenty strong for BF. Draw back of 6 lb is you can waste lots of time in long slow tug o wars with bat rays n shovelnose sharks. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:27 AM   #7
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
As you're crossing the bridge heading west, Tide lands is the cove and park you'll see off to your right. To get to the area I mentioned you do need to paddle passed all the docks before you turn right (south).

You can't eat them, they're kinda funny looking, n super slimy, but Bone fish do fight. Ive found they make long straight runs out, then come straight back under the yak, n take off out the other side. Fastest fish I've ever fought in the bay for sure. I usually use 6lb. Which is plenty strong for BF. Draw back of 6 lb is you can waste lots of time in long slow tug o wars with bat rays n shovelnose sharks. Mike
As you're heading into Coronado across the bridge, you did say Tidelands is on the right side, is that correct? I guess that's a golf course on the left side.

If I'm looking at GoogleEarth correctly, the paddle to the grass flats is about the same distance from Tidelands as is the boat launch in Glorietta Bay, does that seem right? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I launch from Tidelands, I'll have to go under the bridge heading south to get to those grass flats, yes?
Wow, I knew BF weren't any good to eat, but I didn't know bonefish were super slimey, slimier than 'cuda? Looking forward to that fight. We might try 4lb line, to hell with rays n shovelnoses.

Thanks for the extra information.
Aaron
Old 08-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Since we haven't fished Glorietta before, wereabouts is the Tidelands launch and
parking, and how do you get there?

Thanks, A&J