Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
AM3R1CN
Junior

Ye Ol Live Well Bait Tank

Hi Kayak Angler Folks

I'm interested in making a bait tank for saltwater (ocean) kayak fishing, as all new kayak fisherman must do.

Could one just use the existing scupper holes in their kayak and put a couple pvc/rubber tubes through the scupper holes (as long as there were extra scupper holes available) and seal them so the water could only go up through the holes (with one way directional valves, water goes in only) into the bait tank and overflow water drains out the top of the bait tank. Wouldn't this be an incredibly simpler version of this whole bait tank design fiasco with aerators, batteries etc?

Wouldn't the simple rocking back and forth of the boat through waves be enough to push water up through these valves and keep fresh oxygenated water in the live well?

THANK YOU!
AM3R1CN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Cbad Mike

Interesting concept but I doubt it would work. Scupper holes are made to let water out. There is not enough pressure of water that comes in them. If there was water would shoot up them like a geyser and I sure hope that's not happening on your kayak.
Just my opinion.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
yakman619
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Interesting concept but I doubt it would work. Scupper holes are made to let water out. There is not enough pressure of water that comes in them. If there was water would shoot up them like a geyser and I sure hope that's not happening on your kayak.
Just my opinion.
^ X2
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Google hobie bait tank
Look in the innovations thread.
Search feature is your friend.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
AM3R1CN
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Google hobie bait tank
Look in the innovations thread.
Search feature is your friend.
or you could provide a link since this poem was completely unhelpful. :rollseyes:
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM3R1CN View Post
or you could provide a link since this poem was completely unhelpful. :rollseyes:

http://bit.ly/Ncn6fE

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...archid=1098352

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...archid=1098354

there you go. Now do you want me to paddle you out, tie all your knots, cast for you reel in the fish fillet it abd drive you home too, after I build the tank.
oh btw ( that means By The Way) Welcome to Bwe

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
MrPatrick

Replies

AM3R1CN be prepared for some ball bustin' on this site. 99.9% of it is done in fun. We will all help you out..................... Whithin reason.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
berkeley.william
THRESHER

i have one 90% built already it just needs a battery and battery box. if you are interested let me know it is a 50 quart tank. i started to build it but just haven't finished it. i will sell the whole thing for $75
berkeley.william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
AM3R1CN
Junior

Quote:
http://bit.ly/Ncn6fE

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...archid=1098352

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...archid=1098354

there you go. Now do you want me to paddle you out, tie all your knots, cast for you reel in the fish fillet it abd drive you home too, after I build the tank.
oh btw ( that means By The Way) Welcome to Bwe
learn to read before you post a response. the question was will the concept work? the question wasn't are you a prick? which you affirmed twice with a YES!

I am wondering if i drill a hole in the bottom of a storage bin and connect a couple pvc or rubber pipes with omni directional water flow valves ie IN to the container and OUT of the container can i create the circumstances necessary to keep fish alive without buying a $300 dollar container.

oh btw GTFOH (that means Get the Fk Outa Here)
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
MrM

AM3R1CN-

This reply is just a "heads up"....

Recently, we had a lot off people on here who were, well, un-helpful. You can read about that here. (also stickied at the top of this forum) Comment's such as your last might rub those in power the wrong way.

However, it goes without saying in any forum, that the search function is your friend (especially when your post count is less than 5)

We're a friendly community, I promise. Some of us are seasoned vets, and some are still noobies. Just get to know us before you start telling us where to shove it. You'll get more help that way.

To answer your question, I've never seen it done that way when homemade, but there are plenty of us who use the OEX bait tanks, or even made them ourselves (myself included). It would be an interesting idea to use the scupper holes, and it might look pretty clean. Just make sure you measure twice, cut once- and with a little luck it'l look great. As for the inner workings, the one way valves might be a little tricky. Honestly, I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel on this. It sounds like you'd spend a lot of time and effort on building something that can be done much easier and cheaper with a much more common set of plans.

Either way, best of luck to you, and I hope it turns out good. Keep us posted.

Last edited by MrM; 08-05-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarifying the "homemade" part...
MrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
learn to read before you post a response. the question was will the concept work? the question wasn't are you a prick? which you affirmed twice with a YES!

I am wondering if i drill a hole in the bottom of a storage bin and connect a couple pvc or rubber pipes with omni directional water flow valves ie IN to the container and OUT of the container can i create the circumstances necessary to keep fish alive without buying a $300 dollar container.

oh btw GTFOH (that means Get the Fk Outa Here)

I did that's why I told you to look at the hobie bait tank 1st, its set up thru the scuppers but uses a pump, why a pump because the h20 has to circulate to keep the bait alive, no you will not be able to generate enough force with a moving kayak to overfill a bait tank unless you tank is 32 oz or less.

2nd in the innovations thread there are plenty of bait tanks even a few that were built for well under $100. That perform as well or better then the $300 I built mine and have everything from squid, macs dines, chovies and even a calico all survive a days trip 8 plus hours The key is water flow. Good luck with your tank, and hopefully you learned something today.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Fiskadoro

Quote:
learn to read before you post a response. the question was will the concept work?
The answer is NO! It won't work!!!

What your thinking is the inertia of the mass of the water in the scupper will essentially overcome the gravitational pull of the water in the tank, but your dreaming that water will run up hill.

Nice idea, but like perpetual motion machines no matter how good it sounds to you it's no going to work because physics is based simple realities that are not influence by imagination, hallucinations, or dreams.

If you had a ridiculously shallow tank maybe an inch deep this idea might work to an extent but unfortunately for you sea water increases pressure 0.44 psi per foot of depth and at a little over a depth of two inches you'll have a increase of almost 0.1 psi which will no longer allow your scupper valve to open. I can't calculate the exact psi increase you get in a scupper as a yak rocks but I can tell you with relative certainty it is not equal to 0.1 psi, so basically your shit out of luck after your tank fills an inch or two.

This reminds me a friend of mine who came up with a zero power bait tank for his skiff.

Since he was always slow trolling he surmised that if he had a forward facing intake with a one way valve that as he trolled at say 3 knots water would be pushed through the valve and fill the tank. In actual use when running at 20 knots the tank filled fine, but at 3 knots it only filled to about four inches.

Maybe four inches is enough for you, (we all have different standards) if so you can run a forward facing pvc 90 through your scupper and paddle like hell to fill your tank to four inches. Anyone whose stuck their hand in the water when traveling three knots knows that there is some push to water at that speed, that said it will not fill your tank, and it's moving a hell of faster with more energy in relationship to your yak then water boobing up a scupper.

In other words nice try but no cigar. If you want some information on systems that actually work just say so. People will be more then happy to help you.

If not let me suggest a bait tube, not brain surgery, and they almost always work, if you can figure out how to make caps with holes in them for the ends.

Quote:
the question wasn't are you a prick...........oh btw GTFOH (that means Get the Fk Outa Here)
AgroAM3R1CN who could of seen that coming

I will say you win the prize for the most entertaining post of the day.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 08-05-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
AM3R1CN
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
The answer is NO! It won't work!!!

This reminds me a friend of mine who came up with a zero power bait tank for his skiff.

Since he was always slow trolling he surmised that if he had a forward facing intake with a one way valve that as he trolled at say 3 knots water would be pushed through the valve and fill the tank.

In actual use when running at 20 knots the tank filled fine, but at 3 knots it only filled to about four inches.
Ha! great! that was gonna be my next question.

Well i did see a post here:
http://www.tightlinesandplasticboats...en-system.html

this logic is interesting, but is it just one guys opinion or is this real? can you just add oxygen from a tank to the water with an air stone? and not need to circulate water? Or does this work on fresh water bait only?

TY
Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:

this logic is interesting, but is it just one guys opinion or is this real? can you just add oxygen from a tank to the water with an air stone? and not need to circulate water? Or does this work on fresh water bait only?

TY

Here Ty let me widen your horizon, a bait tank is nothing more than a temporary aquarium so if you build it with that in mind you will be ok. Here's a link to help you since you seem to still be a little confused.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium...n-article.html

Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
AM3R1CN
Junior

Quote:
Here Ty let me widen your horizon, a bait tank is nothing more than a temporary aquarium so if you build it with that in mind you will be ok. Here's a link to help you since you seem to still be a little confused.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium...n-article.html
Well now that was quite helpful

thank ye

(TY means Thank You)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
Bassassin
Junior

Quote:

TY
Hello Ty I am the author of that link... I do not know if this techniqe will work for salt, however the in my humble opinion it should. For fresh water Striped Bass fishing it is very hard to keep Blue Back Hering alive, with this system they stay alive all day in the hot sun while the guys with 5 gal buckets and bubble boxes have them dying off within hours. We can not pump the fresh water into the tank as the temp of the surface water is in excess of 85 degrees f. this will kill the bait quickly. BTW this system is sold to fisherman and used exclusively by the guides on most of the fresh water lakes in Georgia.

Tight lines,
Walt
Bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
kareem korn

If the tank is above the water line No.
You need a pump than.
Or a hand squeeze pump. This will require manually pumping water in every couple of minutes.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
dorado50

This is not rocket science here,wtf....think outside your box dude.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Divad

Cheap & Simple Bait Tank

If you don't want to spend alot of money try a bait tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bait Tank.jpg (31.0 KB, 126 views)
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

this thread is on it's way to KNOTLESS hook status!!!

Tags
bait, diy, livewell, question, tank