Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
Platano
Junior

Some foot action!

Whats up ya'll? This is my first post on this site and got a question. I'm thinking of buying one of these kayaks but can't really decide on either. A Hobie Outback Mirage or a Native Mariner Angler Propel. Both run about $2500. I'm a all around angler and fish all types of fish.

I love how both kayaks have that foot action. So less paddling more fishing! What do you think?
Platano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Dannowar

Old 07-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Stuck20

A popular answer is going to be to go test out a few kayaks. I went from a paddle kayak to a hobie outback. Both are fun, sometimes I do miss paddling though.. Some of the new paddle kayaks have really cool features that hobie's don't have. There are some pros and cons to each. Never used a native but they seem really cool. Being able to go in reverse easier seems pretty useful. Good luck.
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck20 View Post
A popular answer is going to be to go test out a few kayaks. I went from a paddle kayak to a hobie outback. Both are fun, sometimes I do miss paddling though.. Some of the new paddle kayaks have really cool features that hobie's don't have. There are some pros and cons to each. Never used a native but they seem really cool. Being able to go in reverse easier seems pretty useful. Good luck.
I agree with the being able to go in reverse statement. I saw someone do that fishing in around the docks for bass and I must say I would love to be able to do that in my mirage

Does anyone here own the Native that can attest to how well the Pedal function works in reverse and just as importantly going forward?

I love my mirage drive, but what I wouldn't do to be able to simply go in reverse sometimes 👍🏼
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
I agree with the being able to go in reverse statement. I saw someone do that fishing in around the docks for bass and I must say I would love to be able to do that in my mirage

Does anyone here own the Native that can attest to how well the Pedal function works in reverse and just as importantly going forward?

I love my mirage drive, but what I wouldn't do to be able to simply go in reverse sometimes ����
Benichi has the slayer propel 10. He loves it for the bay and it is for sale right now too.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=26140
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
HobieScot

Thanks Airborn

I took a look and I don't know if I could drop down to a 10 footer. But it is intriguing

I would love to hear from a mirage drive owner who has spent some time with the propel drive and see what thier thoughts are on It.

I'm curious to know if it can keep up with a mirage drive on a long Pedal. I know my mirage drive can get up and go and is easy to keep a steady pace for long distances. I just wonder if the propel drive can match the same performance.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
kayachapi

Just You Tubed native slayer propel vs Hobie mirage. I wouldn't give up the efficiency to go backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayachapi View Post
Just You Tubed native slayer propel vs Hobie mirage. I wouldn't give up the efficiency to go backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just did as well
The one video where they tied the two sterns together and had them both start to pedal was pretty telling when the mirage started to tow the propel backwards. It also has a lot to do with the leg strength and fitness level of each kayaker involved. But all in all I'm still impressed with the propel drive and would love to test one out.

If they have an option to upgrade the prop like we do with the turbo fins on the mirage drive that may go along way to evening things up between the two.

Last edited by HobieScot; 07-14-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
Oxbeast1210

They both are pretty nice . I can maintain a speed with th e propel a lot longer but starting out and max speed the mirage was faster for me. Maintence is what it came down to for me the mirage drive is a lot easier to fix .
They used to have two prop options but now I belive they all come with the better prop. I did a review on it a couple years back . They both have their pros and cons .
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Oxbeast1210

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com.../topics/106712

This is my old review
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
Platano
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 View Post

That review was pretty cool man! that was some good intel. i did a little more research and saw that the Mariner Angler does comes with a lot of fishing accessories, while the Outback does'nt. still i figuered that with fish finder and live well added and pimped out for fishing, both will run me around $3,000. Maybe a little more with the Outback.

Still, it all comes down to taking them out for a spin.

Thanks to all. And i'll keep ya'll informed on my decision.
Platano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #12
tacmik

One other thing to consider is that the propel has an enclosed system and the Hobie is not enclosed.