Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
SDTribal

fish game clip question

do you just hang it over the kayak? or do you just set it in your lap. I am worried a seal or a shark will take a bite out of my dinner
SDTribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

wherever you have room on you yak, don't let the dogs get it. Put the game clip on the tie it to something.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
GregAndrew

I think most people are only leaving it on the clip and in the water long enough to bleed the fish, and only when there are no dogs in the vicinity. Carry a trash bag with you if you are gonna put it in your hull. The dogs can do more than steal your dinner, they have flipped more than 1 yakker by grabbing a clipped fish. I think it is reason number 79 on why to have all your chit strapped down or clipped.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
SDTribal

oh wow that would suck, where do you cut the fish to bleed it? and do you put ice or anything in the trash bag when you store it? thanls
SDTribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTribal View Post
oh wow that would suck, where do you cut the fish to bleed it? and do you put ice or anything in the trash bag when you store it? thanls
gotta cut the gills.

do not put your hand in WSB gills.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Siebler

I cut at the most forward end of the collar to sever the main artery and bleed the fish out as much as possible. While working on sportboats I pulled gills, cut gills and cut like I do and gill pulling/cutting doesnt even compare.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
I cut at the most forward end of the collar to sever the main artery and bleed the fish out as much as possible. While working on sportboats I pulled gills, cut gills and cut like I do and gill pulling/cutting doesnt even compare.
Need to do a couple of videos for the different fish types .

I wouldn't suggest that you carry ice in your kayak unless it is gonna be there anyway (beer cooler). If you think you are gonna want to stay out more than a couple hours after catching something worth bleeding, you might want to consider an insulated game bag.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
bigbarrels

The biggest shark on the water that I have seen to date in La Jolla was when I forgot my game bag and had two fish over the side on a game clip.......last summer in the afternoon and about 20 yards away.....7-8 feet between the dorasl and caudal fin......sorry no pics.....don't reccommend it unless you need some excitement in your life
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote