Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
ctrujillo

newell-diawa

would like to get some thoughts on newell vs diawa sealine rells.what do you think is more yack freindly corrosion- drag-maintenince friendly.any info is apreceiated.thanks
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Siebler

Daiwa sealines are popular for good reason but I love my Newells and would give them up for anything. I like that I can just dunk my whole reel in the water to get the line wet. Easy to rebuild, parts are cheao and super available. You get used to the grinding noise they make.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Rob929

I have both as well.. Daiwa seems a little more advanced in the corrosion resistance/ sealing department. The sealine is definately my workhorse reel. Great all around reel for the price. I use the Newell primarily for surface casting.. even though the daiwa has excellent freespool, the newell has the lighter graphite spool, which seems to be even better for casting. The Daiwa has much better cast drag control- again, a little more refined and advanced than the newell's more basic design and features.

My vote, especially for kayaking, and all around usability would be the Daiwa hands down. If you have a more specific need- like strictly throwing surface iron/ megabait, go with the newell.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Daiwa sealines are popular for good reason but I love my Newells and would give them up for anything. I like that I can just dunk my whole reel in the water to get the line wet. Easy to rebuild, parts are cheao and super available. You get used to the grinding noise they make.
what CJ said. However, they are not without fault. The newer ones may have changed, but my old 440 had very loose tolerance between the spool and the sideplate. 40# mono was always getting stuck in the gap. I sent it to the factory, but it only helped marginally. Also, compared to the Diawas, the drags are undersized.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
ctrujillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob929 View Post
I have both as well.. Daiwa seems a little more advanced in the corrosion resistance/ sealing department. The sealine is definately my workhorse reel. Great all around reel for the price. I use the Newell primarily for surface casting.. even though the daiwa has excellent freespool, the newell has the lighter graphite spool, which seems to be even better for casting. The Daiwa has much better cast drag control- again, a little more refined and advanced than the newell's more basic design and features.

My vote, especially for kayaking, and all around usability would be the Daiwa hands down. If you have a more specific need- like strictly throwing surface iron/ megabait, go with the newell.
going to replace my jig master 505 on my jig stick.looking for a tough smo0th casting along with lo maintanence reel
Old 06-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Billy V

Diawa Sealine with the Upgraded Carbotex Carbon Fiber drags is hard to beat.

They cast__________________________{100 Yards}_______________________________a long way.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrujillo View Post
would like to get some thoughts on newell vs diawa sealine rells.what do you think is more yack freindly corrosion- drag-maintenince friendly.any info is apreceiated.thanks
There are a bunch of different sealines.

Newell originally made spools and gears for Penns back the 1970s. Eventually they just made there own reel line but they are still essentially 1970s 80s technology with newer bearings and drag materials.

The originals Sealines are all aluminum, and made to compete with the Newells and Penns, tougher then a Newel but they do not cast as well do to the fact their spools are heavier.

Then came the SHs

More modern, far superior caster, more durable, with a better drag then the Newells. These are fantastic reels a generation more advanced then the Newells. One of the best Saltwater reels ever made.

Then came the Xs

They are similar to the SHs but they redisigned the gearing and the spool so the spool turns more freely and they actually cast even further. Great reels superior to the same sized Newells.

Now if you want to know the truth those reels all are eclipsed by a Penn.

The Penn 525mag.

That reel has a much stronger drag then the same sized Diawas, it's even more durable, and it casts much better than any Diawa or Newell in it's size class. It's a little heavier, and I don't like the clicker placement, but day in day I use my two 525mags maybe ten times as often as my dozen or so Diawas. It's a Superior reel for fishing 30 spectra with Iron. and I use them all the time on my kayak. My only gripe is I don't own more of them.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Nic D

Hey Jim, thanks for your input.

For me, all of my thoughts on reels has been turned upside down now that Im fishing from a kayak. Nowadays, I want a reel that is not expensive, easy to maintain, and has around 9-12lbs of drag at strike.

Did I mention less expensive and easy to maintain?

Im starting to think cheap.. because just about any reel can kill fish. Im really starting to think about a pair of these http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301592_0581210.do They have bushings not bearings (bearings can rust out.) These reels won't be afraid of going in the drink. below are the specks on the Penn 500 and you can pick them up for $50. I'd change out the handle to something badass.

Mono Capacity - 275yds / 30lb
Max Drag - 15lbs
Gear Ratio - 4:1
Line Retrieve Per Crank - 27 in
Weight - 22oz

I read once some thing Alan Tani said.... once you have baited and hooked the fish, its about the fish vs. the drag and you vs. your handle. I thought about that for a long time... and I think that other than the rod and line playing a small part I think he's right on. I think Alan's trying to get to the point that the fish doesn't know if you have a $1200 accurate or a $50 penn 500. The fish is up against the drag and you need to turn the handle. Thats fishing in its simplest form.

Last edited by Nic D; 06-27-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
dorado123

I use diawa for live bait fishing cause it's better drag and fast

newell is for casting jig cause it lighter
dorado123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
ctrujillo

jim thanks for all the good info.i have to say the members here on bwe are very helpful.hey nic makes alot of sence about the jigmasters.have two a 505 500 both with accurate one piece frames.does anybody put drag grease on jigmasters drags.i heared it makes drags smoother.if so do you use ht100 washers or after market washers
Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

Yes, greasable washers are much smoother, especially if they get wet. As for the penn 500 specs, I can't say I've ever seen one put down 15lbs of smooth drag.

I agree with jim, those newer Graphite bodied (sealine, shimano TLD's, Penn 525, 535, 545, 555) reels are the best for the yak and at around $60 used they are a bargin.....easy/cheap to DIY service, tough as nails.

I was into modifying the 500/505's a couple years ago, mostly cause thats what i had....then someone "gifted" me a seized penn 545, I opened it replaced 2 bearings and it was like new!! I was blown away at the shaft size differece, gears, bearing, drags...everything!!! and still so lightweight and simple!

A bench drag test against my favorite 505 took away any doupts, the penn 545 had much higher drag#s and was WAY smoother in the higher 10+lb numbers. It was then i realized I needed to switch things up....good thing those accurate and newell penn 500 parts hold their value pretty well.

Overkill? maybe....but I have been in a few situations in LJ where I felt a little undergunned with 40lb mono and a reel that puts down 20lbs of drag...recently I went 1/3, our group went 3/10 on some brute yellows, needless to say a few 500's and spools of 30lb mono went in the trash that day!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
T Bone

I caught the fish in my avatar with a sealineX-30 which I lost(Sadly)with 2 avets upon re-entry.I caught a 42#er last monday on a daiwa x-20(the baby)I love Daiwas...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Nic D

Thanks Jerimiah... Im looking for a smooth drag that can produce 12-15lbs of drag. I've haven't tested the penn 500, so I'll gladly take the advice.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
roadx

penn 320 GTI is a good cheap graphite body level wind reel that has performed nice for me.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I caught the fish in my avatar with a sealineX-30 which I lost(Sadly)with 2 avets upon re-entry.I caught a 42#er last monday on a daiwa x-20(the baby)I love Daiwas...
X2!!!

sealines are the best $ for $ reel on the market right out of the box. I did the greased carbon upgrade in several of mine. can't think of a better reel of the kayak. light, strong, smooth, casts forever, bulletproof. and inset spool doesn't chew line like penn's. simple to maintain. just rinse them off well after use.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote