Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2007, 12:11 AM   #1
Guyak

Got Some Braided Line

So in the anticipation of going out early Sunday and having a BBQ on Saturday, I ran to a local store in North County SD inland that was close. Unfortunately they must have known they were the only place in town that was open with something I needed and charged accordingly

Anyway, I want honest opinions on the Berkley Big Game Braid. They only had the Cabo White. I went with 65# and will run a 40lb Flouro leader.

Do you guys find the white color is a plus or minus? Seems the white is REALLY white even though there is leader material.

Also, the guy who sold it said the braid could last for a couple of years and that at the end of the season you could put it on a spare spool and place it in the washer with no soap to clean it off and increase the life of the line I have never heard of this and was wondering if the guy was blowing smoke.

Thanks for your time guys, this board has already helped me save a ton of money by pointing in the right direction and then adjusting to personal preference.
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Where did you go in NCSD? There is a new place in vista as well as turners in San Marcos. How much did they charge? Spectra is pretty expensive anyway. Usually guys will put on a layer of Dacron to fill a third of the spool on high capacity reels before they put on Spectra. Even with the filler you can generally still fit on around 300 yds depending on the reel and diameter of line. Washing your spectra can be a good idea. They make a washing kit but it's $$$. The idea is that salt gets under the line and pits your spool. Spectra can last years though. As for color, the white is the way to go. The green bleeds color bad and the white is more common anyway (I believe)....
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Dan

White is fine--no worries, and it will last for a long long time - dirty or not.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Guyak

First I went over to Turners and they were out of what I needed so I went over to Bob's off of Emerald and 78. $18 per $100 yards. I got $300 yards on my Penn 555 and 250 on my spinning reel.

I just can't wait to get out there tomorrow. First real time of the season. I get to try out the new Kayatank and everything Hopefully the fishing gods are being favorable.

See you all there at 0arkThirty
Old 05-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Guyak

Wow I was dollar sign happy. I meant $18 per 100 yards. 300 yards on the Penn 555 and 250 on the spinning reel.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
T-Rex

Yikes! I always try to support the local tackle shops but $18 per 100 yds is pretty pricey. I paid $27 for 300 yds of Berkley 65# cabo white spectra at a tackle store in Huntington Beach. I was a little unsure about the white also, but it's worked great so far.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
OB Paddler

Hmmm,

I'm paying 12 bucks per 100 yrds of 65 lb. JB spectra up at Noah's. Customer service is great too. They even have the hollow core for a few bucks more... Good to hear the water is clearing up, be back out soon..

\OB Paddler/

A.K.A. Todd
OB Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote