Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Wayne_R

Nothing exciting for newbie, which may be a good thing?

Got to DP at 7am for my maiden voyage. Got yak unloaded from truck and on cart = no issues. Got to sand and in h20 = no issues. Got out on water past the "island" in the harbor = no issues. Great! Time for breakfast!

Started trolling a medium depth lure and hooked up and almost caught a bird . Actually, after further review, think I had a mack and the bird tried to get it, but became released/escaped. Still reeling something heavy and bird was coming towards me. I thought, oh f***, it's stuck on the bird, but it eventually let my lure go, flew away, and I got my lure back.

Fished a lil at the harbor entry and then did a lap around to check out the enviro. Back around "island" again at far side of entry and got a 2' mack? maybe...

Released and on its way, tried a couple different lures for nada. Ended up w/ one more mack that a bird tried to eat....again, but I was able to get to yak, unbuttoned and on it's way.

Tried several techniques w/ lures and even went out of the harbor for a bit, but since I had such light/sh***Y tackle, didn't expect much.

4 hours later, got back to launch and appreciated the great 4 hour sesh. Don't get much time since I have 2 year old, wife, and work odd hours. Lots o peeps on the beach enjoying a surprisingly nice Dec. day.

Well now that I feel a lil more comfortable, I think I would try to actually get out there, even though haven't practiced the whole rollover/dip/re-entry in yak yet. Maybe when it is a lil warmer. Also need to get out there with a guide to cut down learning curve.

All in all a great 1st day on the water. Some exercise/fish and only had one beer (brought 4) in case I had company. Next time
Wayne_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Awsome! Welcome to the kayak community! Your 2'er looks like a barracuda...sounds like a succesful first trip!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Wayne_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Awsome! Welcome to the kayak community! Your 2'er looks like a barracuda...sounds like a succesful first trip!
My second one must have been a mack? Big long nose/mouth. My line got twisted around it's nose/mouth/bill. bout 5" mouth and my line was round it. Got it untangled but wouldn't let go of line in mouth...dumb fish or fisherman??? Any thoughts bout second?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
DanaPT

anyhow you didn't get killed (drowned, eaten by a shark, rammed by a drug ponga, heart-attack, etc.)

And that my friend is a good day.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

Say hello to my little friend....Mr. Lizard fish.

They are very rare and you will likely never catch one again.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

I think I saw you roll out as I was still unloading. I launched a little later as i bought a box of squid just in case the barge had no bait. I tried to catch up but I think you went on the inside and I went on the outside channel. Got hit hard early on and got raked another time but nothing stuck. Mostly fished around the lobster buoys as I was fishing blind without a ff.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Wayne_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I think I saw you roll out as I was still unloading. I launched a little later as i bought a box of squid just in case the barge had no bait. I tried to catch up but I think you went on the inside and I went on the outside channel. Got hit hard early on and got raked another time but nothing stuck. Mostly fished around the lobster buoys as I was fishing blind without a ff.
May have seen you do a drive by while I was unloading truck . Anyways, have to catch up next time. And will again carry some AM Beers...just not CL, need something heartier for winter.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
PE.rider

Did someone say beer?!?!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
Cbad Mike

CONGRATS on your maiden voyage. whenever you keep the seat side up your doing ok. Now the fun starts!
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Thats not bad for your first time you didnt get skunked atleast. Keep at it and youll get them!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_R View Post
Time for breakfast!
Breakfast of Champions!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
Amish Ed

Definitely a great first trip. I also thought that fish was a cuda. If you ever fish on a monday hit me up. We'll go fish the pipe.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Wayne_R

Thanks all. Looking back on it now, it was really a fun/nice few hours. I think I'm hooked! Lil stiff this morning from paddling for 4 hours, but definitely worth it.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
jruiz
Large Member

Ya that was me, I wanted to be sure there was parking after going to get bait
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
Wayne_R

After searching the net for days on what the heck that 2nd fish was...

(not my pic)
Needlefish. It was small (about 1 - 1.5') and was not happy. Had one hook in eye and was grabbing line and would not let go. I got hook out but finally had to cut line because couldn't get out of that toothy mouth and didn't want to get bit. Should of gave him a sip of my beer lol.