Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
yycyak
Junior

Last minute trip help - La Jolla

Hi everyone,

Hoping some of the forum members here can maybe help me. My wife and I are in California for a friend's wedding. My wife suggested she would like to check out San Diego on Saturday while we I are in California. I said I heard the fishing in La Jolla is good, and maybe we could go fishing.

She said she liked the idea, so we tried to find a guide who could take us out. Unfortunately everyone I Googled/contacted is unavailable to take us.

So as an alternative, can anyone here give some pointers for how a guy could pull off a kind of "self-guided" trip in the La Jolla area? I'm not adverse to hitting a Walmart for an Ugly Stik and a cooler, and renting a kayak from somewhere, but we all know a recreational sit-in kayak isn't the best way to chase fish compared to a Hobie and what not.

Guided would still be my first choice, cause I just need to show up with a lunch and that's about it. But if I have to do a DIY type of deal I'm fine with that too.

Punch list would be:

- where can I rent a couple fishing yaks;
- what lbs line / tackle would you recommend;
- any particular location to go/launch from;
- how do I get a fishing license; (I only have my phone at the moment. No laptop/printer)

Everything else I can likely piece together from my own kayak fishing experience back home.

Thanks in advance for humouring an unprepared tourist -yycyak
yycyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
NICKWORN

Which Guides?

[QUOTE=yycyak;286306]Hi everyone,

Hoping some of the forum members here can maybe help me. My wife and I are in California for a friend's wedding. My wife suggested she would like to check out San Diego on Saturday while we I are in California. I said I heard the fishing in La Jolla is good, and maybe we could go fishing.

She said she liked the idea, so we tried to find a guide who could take us out. Unfortunately everyone I Googled/contacted is unavailable to take us.

So as an alternative, can anyone here give some pointers for how a guy could pull off a kind of "self-guided" trip in the La Jolla area? I'm not adverse to hitting a Walmart for an Ugly Stik and a cooler, and renting a kayak from somewhere, but we all know a recreational sit-in kayak isn't the best way to chase fish compared to a Hobie and what not.

Which guides did you contact?

Who did you call?
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
yycyak
Junior

Hi Nick, I tried Sammons and Kevin Nekada. Didn't see much else on google, but that could be a function of me being dumb too.

[QUOTE=NICKWORN;286307]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yycyak View Post
Hi everyone,

Which guides did you contact?

Who did you call?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Denis_Ruso

Questions up top are a good start. We may be able to point you in the direction of guide you weren't able to find online. ( Theres also http://www.captainwade.com/ he's really busy but it might be an option)

As far as a self guided trip, I do not think anyone rents fishing kayaks in the area that I know of. But right in La Jolla they do rent regular kayaks without hatches or rod holders. So I would bring a dry bag.

License can be purchased online but has to be printed. You can probably screenshot it too and show it on your phone if you get stopped.

Tackle would consist of a solid 30 lb setup, a 30 sized reel with 30-40 lb rod and a 20 lb setup for bass and smaller stuff.

Launch right at la jolla shores boat launch - research the protected area.(MLPA) You have to paddle about half a mile to get out of it.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.

Last edited by Denis_Ruso; 09-21-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

Sounds like a job for the Darkhorse.

If anyone has used him in the past and has his contact info, chime in.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
tacmik

Don't want to put a damper on your plans. But if you cannot find a guide for La Jolla, It will cost you a bunch of money to outfit yourself, a long paddle thru the surf and swells to get to the fishing area and without a guide or fishfinder, you will have a very tough time catching any fish. You first have to make bait by using a sibiki rig (to catch your bait) that could take anywhere frome 15 minutes to 3 hours. Then paddle out further to get to the fishing grounds. Perhaps if you cannot find a guide, you might consider just renting a couple of kayaks and paddle around the cove or rent in mission bay and paddle around out there. Don't know how much experience you have in a yak, but the open ocean probably isn't the best place to go fishing your first time. Good luck and do have fun when you visit.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
TCS

Party Boat

Why don't you jump on the New Seaforth. It's less crowded weekdays. They'll hand you a rod, provide bait, drive you to LJ, fillet your fish, and feed you a cheeseburger and a beer.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
fishnfoool

When are you coming?
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #9
yycyak
Junior

I'll be in in San Diego Saturday.

Definitely sounds like La Jolla would need to be more of a solo trip than a "bring the wife" trip. So I'll probably look in to something less involved. If it were just me, I wouldn't have any issues, but the wife is a bit less serious about her fishing than most of us here... I think that by hr 4 on the water, I'd be getting an earful.

I did look at the New Seaforth but wasn't sure if it was worth the time/money, or how busy a rig like that gets. And/or success rates. After being on a yak, I get pretty frustrated at anything that resembles pier fishing (just stand there getting more and more frustrated that I'm not on my boat).

Anyway guys I appreciate all the advice. Thanks for helping a new guy to the forum.