Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

mackeral tube

I have been playing around with this and am pretty happy with how it works. I think my trolling plugs create more drag. The first time I put 5 spanish in it and they held up really well. The next couple of times I put 2 greenbacks in it. Used one and after 3 hours freeing the second one, it shot out of it like a bullet. Pretty simple, 2 inch pvc, endcaps with 3/8 holes drilled. The end caps fit really snug, so I sanded the 3 inches at the end of the pvc for the end I would be taking off. I like it simple.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #2
scwafish

K.I.S.S. Nice!
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
potto

I don't get it. What is wrong with a bait bucket?
potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
lamb

What's wrong with sharing great, creative idea? :?

For little that I know, that pipe would have been sufficient to hold all the bait I needed the few times I was there.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
Grego

I think that's a great idea, especially for those who can only put a few hours on before heading in and only plan on grabbing a few baits anyhow.

A matter of fact, I'm going to make one to take to Baja with me for those 3 hour evening sessions hunting for wsb/halis while my battery is charging for the next day.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:24 AM   #6
cajunman

Naturally Cool,,

very simple and efficient and no noise!!

thanks for sharing
8)
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #7
Slay Rider

Peter my friend – while towing a bait bucket around is a great upper body workout; it is also a lot of work. If you plan on slow trolling for several hours that is. The best way I could come up with was to run a line through an eye hook that I had installed in the rudder shaft hole. That way I could pull the bait bucket right up tight to the tail of my yak but this still required too much effort.

Several years ago I tried using a cricket cage (the one on the right). I felt the cone shaped front would have less drag while trolling. I also experimented with tubes that held a single mackerel’s head in a scupper hole.

Interesting rig Andy – thank you for sharing.

SR
Old 06-08-2005, 06:30 AM   #8
Baggard
Baggard

Great idea!!!!

I have been draging the bait bucket around for years and it is a real drag. LOL Good lookin out and I will give it a try!
Baggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #9
potto

Quote:
What's wrong with sharing great, creative idea?
Lamb, go read my question again. It had absolutley nothing to do with questioning him why he is sharing this information.

Thanks John for answering. Now that I think about it, carrying around 5 gallons of water is a lot of effort. I forget the La Jolla people do travel long distances, especially if they are trollinig to the NW corner.

What is interesting about the tube is that the fish can't swim in circles. So I guess the bait don't bump their noses or do anything else that might cause injuries.
potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:46 AM   #10
madscientist

Cool idea. Now all you need is a spring mechanism so they pop out like a Pez dispenser.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
Jim Sammons LJKF

Tuna tubes have been used for years on boats, this a great adaptation of that idea.
Good job Andy. Of course for all the bait that I carry it would have to be 10 feet long :shock:

Have you used it on days when you were doing more yo-yoing, in other words not as much paddling. Wondering how they do if you are doing more drifting and not getting as much water going through it.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #12
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
The first time I put 5 spanish in it and they held up really well. The next couple of times I put 2 greenbacks in it.
Couple questions:
What was the relative size difference between the 5 jacks vs the 2 greens? Did you cut the # of greens because they are more "sensitive", or they were larger?
How long is your rig to fit the 5 jack macks?

I don't use electrical on my boat so this looks like a nice addition. And cheap too. Perfect.

Thanks for the time, Andy.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #13
lamb

[quote="potto"]
Quote:
Lamb, go read my question again.
Sorry if my comment came out too harsh. I didn't mean to. You guys got to cut me some slack for my non-native English.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #14
cajunman

"non-native English"

adi,
surely you meant to say "lambish" which is, now that i know you , very similar to english,, just some parts are baaaaaaaaaaad

he he
8)
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #15
Spinal Tap

neat contraption.

I played around with this idea a few years back. I rolled some light gauge steel mesh and put it inside a nylon mesh dive bag. This gave the bag structure. I just cinch up the opening and had a bait motel. The mesh was problematic with all the hooks (sabiki and others).

Hey Rich (Cajunman), did you get my email from waaaaaaaaay back? If not, I'd be happy to introduce you to freediving/spearfishing.

nate
n8nlee@yahoo.com
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #16
aguachico

Great Job Andy.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:25 PM   #17
mars

Great idea Ice, though I think you should implement Madman’s idea of the Pez dispenser:

Instructions: Place bait-filled Mackeral Tube in left hand, with right hand, place live-bait hook in “hook holder” conveniently located at opening of Mackeral Tube, press “dispenser” button and whala: live bait rig ready to go.

Seriously though, awesome idea. I’m thinking of trying it out.

Maybe you ought to take it to market before someone else does! In the spirit of Krieger’s Ryhno Bar, maybe call it the Ice Holder, or Ice Tray, or, well, whatever.

Just sayin’,
-kvn
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #18
Surfdad
Junior

Seriously should consider marketing that thing Ice! It's a great idea and I plan on making a couple, one for the yak and another for the longboard. Difficult to get a battery operated bait system on my longboard so this will be perfect for the Wind N Sea boardfishing tourney next month! Thanks for sharing the idea. Tip of the year!!!
Surfdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #19
SHOOT2KILL

Send a message via AIM to SHOOT2KILL
Seems like it would be somewhat akward transfering the bait from the sabiki rig into that tube, and then removing it again to put on the hook. Would appear that there might be a high probability of fumbling of the bait during transfer.
SHOOT2KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #20
Iceman
Administrator

Zed asked why I put in just 2 greenbacks: It was the size, and from experience I know they don't take crowding as well as the indestructable spanish macs.

As far as getting them in and out, I was putting them in tail first, while squeezing lightly at the gills. Once the body was in I just let them slide in. Getting them out, I would cup my hand on the opening until the head was sticking out and squeeze at the gills again. The endcaps are $.79 each and a 10 foot piece of 2" pvc is like $5. If any of you guys come up with improving ideas let me know. I tend to want to skip the bait tank and just fish the one bait I caught. Sucks when it gets scraped by a calico or cuda or lost and you have to go grab another, while somebody goes BENDO right next to ya.