Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
Aaron&Julie

You're a true kayak fisherman, to not only brave doing the night thing, but to fight and release all 4 just for the fun of it. Nice job.

Just hearing you crank on that fish and flop on the water is enough to pump us up. Half of ours caught have been in the dark, too.

No criticism here, because we appreciate your posts very much. For the excellent videos(okay, this one was hard to see), well written stories and most of all, their timeliness. Please keep 'em coming.

It's rare nowadays to see a report within 2-3 days of one's trip. We know the reasons why, but with the action over the last YEAR and a HALF, sometimes it seems a little greedy. Our 2 cents.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #22
THE DARKHORSE

Big ups, Wade!

Only four released White Sea Bass? Keep practicing.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #23
swinginFish

Pain killers

Wade,

Glad the headlamp helped.

Was full of self-pity out there, as the in-the-dark racket from all the WSB splashing on - or near - everyone elses yak was making me feel like Pepe LePew. Be I intrepid or some other "...pid", stayed out long enough to lose 5 irons, burn through all my bait, and learn/feel exactly where I didn't apply sun screen.

Long story short (for now), am nursing a sore left arm after fighting/losing the biggest (unknown) beast I've pulled on out there, experiencing yet again the miraculous beauty of the jewel's diversity (C&R of calicos, barrecuda - and even a BSB), and yes, finally returning triumphant after a mid-day bite w/ with the first LJ fish I've caught worthy of a senior bus pass (i.e., over 50 lbs).

If all goes well (and my long-term LJ water-brother, Rod, figures out how to send me the pics from his not-so-smart phone), I'll be able to post an OTW shot soon. In the mean time, gotta go find some more Tylenol.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #24
steveooo

Geeze. All that huffing and puffing, grunting in the dark, splashing- I though for a second that I had inadvertantly uploaded my honeymoon "home movies"....

Nice vid Ray J
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #25
dpshim
Junior

Wade, real noble of ya to practice and spread the importance of c&r!! It's tough to let prized game like these go, but it gives great satisfaction to know that one did with the idea of thinking of the future! Thanks for this report, and much respect to you Wade
dpshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #26
jerr-dog

Tight.
jerr-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #27
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

[QUOTE=wade;89914]
**( I encourage any intellectual or constructive criticism ect re: if anyone thinks I am doing "more harm than good by publicizing such infos) **
[QUOTE=wade;89914]

Do you really think there are intellectuals on this site

Nice fish Wade, too bad we can't see them!

If treated correctly most fish do survive after being released. Unfortunately most people on this website these days are Amateurs. These newbies are looking at The KID, Darkdonkey, and even you Wade for examples and information. That being said, most of these armatures barely know how to fish, let alone paddle a kayak or swim. As a result, many of them DO NOT know how to successfully release fish.

So as far as your question about harm versus good, I would have to lean more towards harmful.

Your post is inspirational, but If you truly respect the wsb fishery you do not CNR wsb for fun. The fish do not benefit from an ego boosting CNR experience. The only thing your video did is convince more people to get on the water this weekend. More people fishing means more dead fish. There is nothing wrong with dead fish. I kill fish all the time. I just don't understand the why world needs to know about it.

Yea, some people may have been inspired because you released a few fish, but that is a mute point. The key word here is inspired. I doubt any of the people who are motivated to fish this weekend now will release a WSB successfully... it takes a lot of experience to CNR fish the "right way" and I doubt that most of the guys that saw the video know what they are doing... which is why I am responding to this post. I hope that my response makes people learn more about the best methods for CNR. Good post, although I disagree with CNR fishing. I think there are more important and fun things to do in life than ruining a fishes day for my personal entertainment.

I would rather see a report about killing three big wsb compared to posting a report about catching and releasing ten wsb

There are other reasons why posting on the internet is harmful which apply to this thread, but there is nothing we can do about that.

So why did you put the post up Wade? Do you think is was harmful or beneficial to the public?

I thought the general public would like to read some information written by researchers at PIER on the topic of WSB and CNR.

www.pier.org

article on the recent white seabass fishing seasons:

http://www.pcsportfishing.com/article/11

article on the best way to catch and release fish:

http://www.pcsportfishing.com/article/23

discussion on www.spearboard.com :

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=119592

yes I am bitter because it has been way too crowded at La Jolla recently.

Last edited by dos ballenas; 07-22-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: I was bitter when first posting and couldnt spell :)
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #28
Aaron&Julie

[QUOTE=dos ballenas;90212][QUOTE=wade;89914]
**( I encourage any intellectual or constructive criticism ect re: if anyone thinks I am doing "more harm than good by publicizing such infos) **
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Unfortunately most people on this website these days are AMATURES.
Agreed. In fact, some have no clue. On our last trip, on a very clear day, it was obvious to anyone who has fished before, you could see from 50 yards, that we were on a drift with 2 poles each in the water. What does this yo-yo do? He comes up in front of Julie's kayak (the direction of our lines) to about 20 feet away, then says, "Oh, do you have lines in the water?", which I responded, "Yes", with obvious disdain. Then the yo-yo makes an even dumber decision to go between us (we're about 30 feet apart) as he heads towards the launch.
All of us were amateur/newbie kayak fisherman at one point in time. Nothing against Josh, but I think too many newbies are taking shortcuts to success, without learning certain steps along the way. Hopefully, he is explaining to ALL of his customers fair boundaries, and proper release techniques. I'm sure not all of his trips include CNR, so a couple of pointers here:
1) Be gentle. Handle the fish as little as possible, removing slime removes their protected barrier against bacteria.
2) Try not to take it out of the water, but if you do, put it back ASAP.

Please feel free to add more.

Now, that it is summertime, there is almost nothing we can do about the crowding, especially if the fish are biting. But, letting people know about proper etiquette and CNR procedures can only help.

I still like seeing timely fish reports come in, and hope they continue. But, I've (and Julie) paid my (our) dues on the water, as to not damage our resource and be courteous to others.
Aaron

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 07-22-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #29
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Hopefully, he is explaining to ALL of his customers fair boundaries, and proper release techniques. I'm sure not all of his trips include CNR, so a couple of pointers here:
1) Be gentle. Handle the fish as little as possible, removing slime removes their protected barrier against bacteria.
2) Try not to take it out of the water, but if you do, put it back ASAP.

Please feel free to add more.
3) Circle Hooks!! - hopefully you guys are using them already for the cbass cause they greatly increase your chances of getting them to the boat without chewing thru your line. I like the Owner Ringed Gorilla Circle Hooks 2/0 - 4/0.

4)Quickly inspect the fish... Not all fish are releasable, bleeding/damaged gills, swallowed hooks, inflated swim blatter, or even that line burn some fish get on their sides/tails are all good reasons to keep that fish.

Although I can't really imagine any "amatures" actually releasing a quality fish without the coaxing from a much more experienced angler. Even then good luck!!!

As for the survivability, I'm no scientist but these fish survive H&L trama, get thrown on a table cut open, have a piece of plastic installed, sewn up (the whole time out of the water) then released....and guess what, they live!!! I've even seen dozens of WSB with some pretty big scars from gaffs, spearguns, and even sharks and they seemed to heal up fine. But then again, your right, no fish is better off after being released.

And as far as I know "culling" means keeping a smaller fish on-board until you catch a larger fish to replace it, then you release the smaller one(s) to stay within the bag limits. I'm pretty sure Wades fish never left the water and was released ASAP.

One thing we can all agree on....posting inspirational fish reports while there are squid around is harmful to the fish, but the videos and stories sure are entertaining, and sometimes even enlightening.

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #30
JoeBeck

Learn how to spell amateur before calling people amateurs and making it bold!

Love the Egos on this site.

Great catch and release wade!
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #31
CobraTandem

Thumbs up

Yeah Wade, great job and keep up the posting and keep releasing what you like. The catch and release mentality is much better than the kill everything I catch attitude. There is a certain egotistical sense about it. This is the type of ego more should have. So what if some amateurs have a higher death rate on their releases. It is a learning process. The more people we have that learn to enjoy fishing, the more there are to learn about conserving the fun for the future and the more people we have that will contribute to preserving our resources. It's also good if people keep and consume a few of their catch so they stay in touch with the survival hunter within them. They learn to respect the reality of where their food comes from -- even that bought from the store or restaurant.

At the MLPA meetings I was able to attend, there seemed to be a sense of, "If only there were more of us". Well, I can't really think of a better way to create more fellow fishermen that respect and are knowledgeable about the resource than posting on a site like this. Especially posts that include some catch and release. If we take the attitude that we need to keep this fishing activity a secret, if we insist on being selfish with all of this, if we insist on being low key in the hope of keeping our numbers down, than we risk not being heard when it counts.

To everybody that posts their adventures, catch and release or catch and eat, I thank you tremendously!
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #32
wade

So why did you put the post up Wade?

I guess to include a release wild card amongst all the usual killing posts this month.. Show another side? Their is no way to describe the feeling that overcomes me to see a bruiser kick water in my face healthy & revived from a battle. Sometimes I don't make the final decision to release, until 2 seconds before gaffing.. I cannot just look at purdy fishies @ Birch...
I must pull!

Do you think is was harmful or beneficial to the public?

Both honestly.. Quite a touchy subject..
Any handling of fish coupled with an intense fight for the others complete survival usually doesnt equate well, unless one really takes the extra measures to ensure its heathy recovery and boost its odds. Some days are pure Killing days for me, while others are Release..
im caught in a catch 22 & i don't even post a 1/4 of my kills or releases..
I left after i landed only four, exactly for that survival reason, and didnt continue to earn double digits. (that night)
Yes, for the measly four that did survive, I may have caused the death of more than twenty+ the following day..My post was for several reasons & also exactly what you said but in another light..

"People need to realise that just because you can do it,
it doesn't mean you should"

ps they got lucky i was too busy in the studio this week, otherwise i would have killed 2 and eaten like a King. (CROAK....)

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #33
maui jim

I think I worked in that same coal mine when I was younger, swinging the same pick ax
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #34
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post
is there a video coming? i see no quadruplets! but if so damn good job out there Wade!

when I grow up I want to catch fish like you
hey Nick, you got to be like me? I catch more fish than Wade!
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #35
coxtanker421

wade ur still the man , and have the best vids.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #36
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxtanker421 View Post
wade ur still the man , and have the best vids.
Yes indeed!
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote