Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
"I consider waders an option for bays or lake fishing only; I would never wear waders in a surf zone. The force of the waves is so strong that it will force water into the waders, which can cause you some real problems as you try to swim into shore. "
My take is waders are fine but when going through the surf I always wear a drytop to seal them, and a pfd for safety. If your not wearing a drytop at least wear a wader belt, and a PFD.

I've rolled my kayak in large surf with my waders and a drytop and when I got in there was not more then a drop or two of water in my waders.

For my feet I wear polartec drysuit socks, inside the waders, and I put dive booties over the stocking feet of the waders outside. That way they are toasty warm, and the booties give protection against rocks etc, while still allowing me to swim.

You should note that you have to get booties that are a size or two up over your normal size if you are going that route.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Hunter (The 80's Man)

I also tried similiar experiment as Jim in a pool, with both my bootie-footed waders and my rubber boot foot with steel lug hunting waders. I found with both I was neutrally bouyant when they were completely filled with water, even without my vest. I also found that it actually took a lot of work to get both set of waders completely full of water after taking the belt off. With the belt on, and snugged up, I had plenty of time to right my kayak and jump on it with barely a trickle of water running down my leg. I even experimented with squeezing the water back out and retightened the belt... takes some work, but you'd be surprised with how much water you can get back out. It's an experiment I'd recommend to anyone if for no other reason than to gain confidence/peace of mind.

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I always wear a drytop to seal them, and a pfd for safety. If your not wearing a drytop at least wear a wader belt, and a PFD. Jim
X2.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
old_rookie

Thanks for all the great responses.

Jim - I did notice the date - figured things really don't change much in fishing and water unless it has to do with electronics.

I've got a dry top that cinches around the neck and wrists, but just has a string with a clamp thingy around the waist. PFD is always on - always. Found my radio clip, so that will be on the PFD as well.

I've crashed in the surf landing a number of times - worst one was up at San Elijo - wow...

Ok, so my plan will be to get a pair of waders, zipper in front, and rubber soled dive boots.

Next question... best spot to get them in SD? I say best for selection of sizes, I'm 6'2 and about 175-180, shoe size 12-13. Figuring XL Long. Might be slim picking on the boots since I need to go a size bigger. Big and Tall shop for kayakers/divers??? I would go on-line, but I prefer local for two reasons, support local business and to be able to try on for size.

Thanks again - very helpful. Great community.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Rob929

Quote:
Thanks for all the great responses.

Jim - I did notice the date - figured things really don't change much in fishing and water unless it has to do with electronics.

I've got a dry top that cinches around the neck and wrists, but just has a string with a clamp thingy around the waist. PFD is always on - always. Found my radio clip, so that will be on the PFD as well.

I've crashed in the surf landing a number of times - worst one was up at San Elijo - wow...

Ok, so my plan will be to get a pair of waders, zipper in front, and rubber soled dive boots.

Next question... best spot to get them in SD? I say best for selection of sizes, I'm 6'2 and about 175-180, shoe size 12-13. Figuring XL Long. Might be slim picking on the boots since I need to go a size bigger. Big and Tall shop for kayakers/divers??? I would go on-line, but I prefer local for two reasons, support local business and to be able to try on for size.

Thanks again - very helpful. Great community.
I've been happy with the hodgman wadelite's. They retail for about $100 at sports authority, and every couple of months, sports authority does $25 off of $100 purchases(check www.sportsauthority.com for coupon). No zipper in front though. Also, finding your size wader with the larger foot size might be hard. I am 5'11, 190 w/ size 11 shoe, bought the Large waders.They are a little baggy, and the boot is even a little small for me. Either way, they stock a lot, so good place to try them on. Another option is to check Cabela's for sales/ closeouts. As for the cold- I wear socks under the waders
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

Wearing socks particularly the mysterioso socks makes a huge difference in keeping your feet warm, when I have forgotten the socks my feet get clammy and cold. Over the stocking foot waders I wear a pair of cheap fake crocs. They don't add to the warmth but they do protect the waders and are super light and comfortable.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Regor
Greg

Quote:

Something I've gotten used to since wearing waders:
1) When launching, you can wade out further with your yak, and not care so much about the waves crashing around you, while you pick your time to go
2) When landing, you can also jump off the yak in knee high or greater water to land, vs the risk of riding all the way in and crashing. The few times I've rolled it, I've stood up and said "darn, it's only knee high"
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Something I've gotten used to since wearing waders:
1) When launching, you can wade out further with your yak, and not care so much about the waves crashing around you, while you pick your time to go
2) When landing, you can also jump off the yak in knee high or greater water to land, vs the risk of riding all the way in and crashing. The few times I've rolled it, I've stood up and said "darn, it's only knee high"
Great points.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
old_rookie

I thought this is a funny article to add to the discussion...

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/killerwader.shtml
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote