Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
fyrfytrfish

Gear

Recommendations on rod and reel for live bait for yellows from my yak
fyrfytrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

penn 500 and an ugly stick
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
taggermike

It depends on what your budget is. Like lowprofile said, a Penn 500 and an ugly stick tiger has plenty of juice to kill big YT and will get you on the water for less than $150. A step up would be a calstar or seeker rod with a daiwa sealine 30 or 40 or shimano TLD 15/30 or 20/40. Or go with the trini A on a G loomis pelagic for like $850. I saw some sabers at big 5 this weekend on sale for $40. Either way get some thing around 7 feet that will handle 30-40 lb line and your ready. Look around for used gear as well. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
dmrides

I am selling a calstar 700M with a sealine40ha full of 65# spectra that would suit your needs perfectly.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=15478
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
penn 500 and an ugly stick
I have a very clean Penn 500 that I need to put fresh line on (it's empty)
I plan on putting it on a Calyspo Bluefin 7' 30/50 rod.
Can anybody recommend both type and amount of line?

If more than one type of line what knot and how do I anchor the line to the spool to get things started. New to this
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

if your rod has stainless steel guides then i'd fill it half way with 65lb braid and then put 100-150yards of 30lb mono top shot. that way your not wasting a bunch of mono each time you respool, just change the top shot. if you have hardloys or harder inserts you can run straight braid. fill the spool 1/4 full of 30-40lb mono then attach the braid. you can fill it up to only 3/4 full then add 10ft of mono or floro topshot/ leader. some attach the lines and some use swivels. only filling 3/4 saves on cost of braid and gives you more initial drag. braid is thin, you don't lose much of the spool when 150ft is taken.

i forgot the name of the knot i use but its like an albright. soak both ends in water for 20 seconds. make loop in mono, pass braid through, wrap 5 times up, then 5 times down and pull tight, then reel the knot to the spool, set the drag tight and pull the mono (saves your hands) and it will cinche down tight. tie an over hand knot on the tag end real close to the knot just in case it slips then cut the tags short. i've tested this knot connecting 50lb braid to 20lb mono, 50lb braid to 30lb mono, 65 to 40 and its always tested at 95-100%. set the drag at 1/3 the breaking strength and you'll never have to worry. and if your still skeptical, go try to put 25-30lb of pressure on a rod from a yak... you cant. it wont break.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
if your rod has stainless steel guides then i'd fill it half way with 65lb braid and then put 100-150yards of 30lb mono top shot. that way your not wasting a bunch of mono each time you respool, just change the top shot. if you have hardloys or harder inserts you can run straight braid. fill the spool 1/4 full of 30-40lb mono then attach the braid. you can fill it up to only 3/4 full then add 10ft of mono or floro topshot/ leader. some attach the lines and some use swivels. only filling 3/4 saves on cost of braid and gives you more initial drag. braid is thin, you don't lose much of the spool when 150ft is taken.

i forgot the name of the knot i use but its like an albright. soak both ends in water for 20 seconds. make loop in mono, pass braid through, wrap 5 times up, then 5 times down and pull tight, then reel the knot to the spool, set the drag tight and pull the mono (saves your hands) and it will cinche down tight. tie an over hand knot on the tag end real close to the knot just in case it slips then cut the tags short. i've tested this knot connecting 50lb braid to 20lb mono, 50lb braid to 30lb mono, 65 to 40 and its always tested at 95-100%. set the drag at 1/3 the breaking strength and you'll never have to worry. and if your still skeptical, go try to put 25-30lb of pressure on a rod from a yak... you cant. it wont break.
thanks
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
fyrfytrfish

Hey guys thanks for the intel.

Hey lo pro any Suggs on a gps/ff. maybe spend couple hundred bucks
fyrfytrfish is offline   Reply With Quote