Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
DESTROYER

...Who's got the Popcorn?

You could say I've been around the block a few time on the kayak boards.

This isn't the first and it sure won't be the last time this happens.

Smile and Fish.

Today there was 15 kayakers out and 10 PBers on the point and I will tell you that it was not WFO. LJ is the same way it is every year, big fish for those lucky enough to get out and actually catch them. I didn't catch shit today.

This is the year of the squid. There is squid from Mexico all the way up to Point Conception this year. Salty Dawgs who have been fishing for decades have never seen this much squid. I've been out to LJ 3x recently and all I've caught is squid and mackeral.

FYI- LJ is at the end of a Rainbow and there is always a bite and there is always fish if your in the right spot at the right time. Anytime you have a trench next to kelp=Fish.

There are some unwritten Rules. If you want to live by them, great! If you don't, that's up to you.

Rule 1: First thing about LJ, don't talk about LJ

Rule 2: Never post someone else's catch or picture unless they ask you to.

Rule 3: See Rule 1

Hope this helps! Tight Lines

Moyer
Old 11-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #22
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Like I said ...

This BWE board used to be useful, and Jim's board before that, and Allen's
Yakfishing board before that - all the way back to about 1998, when I got
my first Scupper Pro and started fishing the La Jolla kelp and sharing
information with other kayakers.

We have always "talked about LJ", so I am not sure where that rule #1
came from, the LJ Guide book?

I didn't realize I plagarized the Jr High thing from StinkyMatt's post, but
man, we are on the same page. High five to whoever you are. (and I know
all of these other guys, mostly)

Through no fault of the BWE team, I'm sure most will agree, this "reports"
board has become essentially worthless. No reponse necessary.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
DESTROYER

Larry- The Rules were a JOKE!

I've always shared and still get shit from my friends for doing so.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
lamb

Guys thanks for the report.

Larry, I wouldn't say these boards are no longer useful. There is still plenty of good info circling around, especially for the new folks. When it comes to fishing reports, I miss "good ol' times" where part of the thrill was to post your trip the same day, to inspire someone going out the next day. And, off course, brag...

Scally has a point - someone else story is just that, their story. It's always been like that.

What I think is silly is when people try to imply what's the "proper" way when it comes to sharing your fishing report. That's a highly personal thing IMHO - share if you wish, just don't do it if you feel like that... To be patrolling "Kayak Fishing Reports" public forums so you can tell other people when and how to share their fishing report... just doesn't make sense to me.

Here's more of the same discussion on this same side-tracked subject from a few years back
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=2932
Old 11-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
Iceman
Administrator

Pretty sure the timely reports stopped about when I moved..........we used to call in "fresh off the horn" reports back in the good old days.
I still hate chasing yesterdays fish, much rather stumble on my own!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #26
DESTROYER

Amen Adi!

You guys have to give reports because Adi can't fish for a month or do the 5 finger knucke shuffle

Here is the evolution of a Kayak Fisherman:
  • Man buys kayak
  • Man fishes in Kayak
  • Man Catches fish
  • Man post Report
  • Man Catches more fish
  • Man post more reports
  • Man gets in internet arguement
  • Man gets in kayak click
  • Man shares info with friends only
  • Man gets tired of kayak click and other kayak fisherman
  • Man buys power boat
  • Man stops posting report
  • Man call kayakers speed bumps...
...then it starts with a new group of kayak fisherman all over again.

LOL
Old 11-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios View Post
Nothing will shut down a bite faster than a "look what I caught today and I saw 5 others guys get one too". Next thing ya know, every private boater and their friend are in LJ.
Speaking from experience I can't tell you how true this is. When I was a private boater it was amazing to see how quick the word got out that the 'bite' was on. I was never really one to follow the crowds, I usually did my own thing away from all the hoopla. I'd hit my secret spot, post my catch on Bloodydecks and move on. There was days when I would pull out the binoculars and see the hoards of boats a miles away, all the while there was no more than a hand full of boats within a three mile radius of my secret spots.

I think this thread got blown out proportion because of the approach that some of you took........imo. Anyway, it's probably time to move on to bigger and better things. After all, this is a fishing forum not the Jerry Springer show.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
lamb

Cmon Matt, you've been on these boars too long, like me! At least I got an excuse, I kind of work here. You forget that you read someone else's post years ago, and you slide it in years later as your own!
It was Todd's brilliant post you are improvizing on - I had to dig it out and repost it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-level View Post
The evolution of kayak fisherman at La Jolla, a timeline-

The first years-
Look at me!! Look at me!! I caught a fish, it's so big...I'm so cool!!!

The helper-
Now that I know how to catch some fish, I'll do my best to help other catch some too...

The arguer (#1)-
Thanks for the out dated report, bites over… if you don’t post, then don’t read post… your all wrong…you’re a tool… you have no right to ____!!!

The population explosion-
Where did all these other fisherman come from, it used to be so quiet here? Why is it that when I post my fish there is so many people out?

The realization-
I miss the quietness that there used to be... it's much harder to catch those fish now? I work hard and put in countless hours to find this bite. Ouch…my foot hurts from where I shot it…

The competitor-
I better be careful with what I say or my competition is going to get the jump on me.

The arguer (#2)-
Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag… way to ruin the bite…you’re a tool... you have no right to ___... how dare you...... STFU!!!

The final straw-
WTF is all this politics and bickering on The Board, it's getting old... this is fishing! it's supposed to be fun... I’m done with this shit! I fish for me, my piece of mind and to have a good time with my friends. Who care what the general public thinks, I don't know them anyway... Hey buddy what's you phone # so we can share info with each other and not the rest of the world.

The outside viewer-
Nothing has changed, politics, BS and more and more new people on the timeline... it will never end. Will it?

It's fishing, have fun, quit bickering...

Just an opinion / observation from a nobody… bring on the arguers

The preceding information has not been evaluated by BWE, use as described, results may vary.

from a fisherman formly known as C-level
Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #29
BigBalsa
Junior

nasty conditions in LJ

Paddled out at LJ today into 9'+ sets. Had to dig really hard but eventually made it out past the breakers, only to get caught in that nasty southerly rip. Once the wind picked up it was nearly impossible to stay anywhere near 'the spot'. Bait was also super scarce - caught just one anemic spanish after nearly two hours of jigging.

Manged to tie up to some big bull kelp before the tide came up, and lined out my lone mack. Thought I hooked something big but turns out I just snagged bottom with my lone bait. Broke it off at the swivel and tried to ty on a jig, but with the swell picking up and the wind chop, I started to get really seasick. On the way in, a huge rouge roller dumped me before I could lash everything down, and I lost two rods and my new bait setup.

I am glad I made it in ok without getting hit by lightning or run over, and avoided getting washed over the rocks. Buty I am now on my 7th straight skunk at LJ. Winter fishing here sure sucks.

BTW - I did'nt see anyone else doing any better in those rough conditions.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Todd forgot that one.

The Faker
La Jolla conditions were horrible and nobody caught anything. And kayak fishing is not fun. Move along.

Classic old posts Adi thanks for digging them up. Memories.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
Matt
Support your local pangas

F'ing speed bumps!!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #32
dorado50

Hi Matt....are you going to post up your really big fish today or are you going to wait till the bites over? thanks for the stuff...
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #33
DESTROYER

I remember that one Adi, but I wasn't trying to copy it. It's threads like this one that burned Todd out on kayak fishing and put him into hiding. He is right, fishing is supposed to be for fun.

I remember getting OTW reports back in the day. No one fished in the winter except Andy, Jim, and Lifeguard Guy. No one wore waders except Quiet Man, and he got shit for it because people said it was dangerous.

We are all being judged everyday by outsiders looking in. I personally am going to say what I want to say and do what I want to do.

I get excited when I catch big fish and because my family doesn't really understand the thrill of paddling out at O'Dark:30 and catching a big fish, it's nice to post a picture and get props from the fishing crowd.

Last Statement:

I don't think what krmaxima said was so bad. Big deal, he's excited about the sport and that's Rad.

A lot of LJ maybe closed down very soon and we might be looking at these old reports in the archives telling are kids how it used to be.
Relax, breathe, and have fun. Life is too short to be a hater.

Tight Line

Moyer
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #34
DESTROYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Hi Matt....are you going to post up your really big fish today or are you going to wait till the bites over? thanks for the stuff...
I don't count Dave!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #35
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post
Amen Adi!

You guys have to give reports because Adi can't fish for a month or do the 5 finger knucke shuffle

• Man buys kayak
  • Man fishes in Kayak
  • Man Catches fish
  • Man post Report
  • Man Catches more fish
  • Man post more reports
  • Man buys power boat

LOL
This is funny shit!

Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #36
bubblehide

Originally Posted by C-level
The evolution of kayak fisherman at La Jolla, a timeline-

The first years-
Look at me!! Look at me!! I caught a fish, it's so big...I'm so cool!!!

The helper-
Now that I know how to catch some fish, I'll do my best to help other catch some too...

The arguer (#1)-
Thanks for the out dated report, bites over… if you don’t post, then don’t read post… your all wrong…you’re a tool… you have no right to ____!!!

The population explosion-
Where did all these other fisherman come from, it used to be so quiet here? Why is it that when I post my fish there is so many people out?

The realization-
I miss the quietness that there used to be... it's much harder to catch those fish now? I work hard and put in countless hours to find this bite. Ouch…my foot hurts from where I shot it…

The competitor-
I better be careful with what I say or my competition is going to get the jump on me.

The arguer (#2)-
Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag… way to ruin the bite…you’re a tool... you have no right to ___... how dare you...... STFU!!!

The final straw-
WTF is all this politics and bickering on The Board, it's getting old... this is fishing! it's supposed to be fun... I’m done with this shit! I fish for me, my piece of mind and to have a good time with my friends. Who care what the general public thinks, I don't know them anyway... Hey buddy what's you phone # so we can share info with each other and not the rest of the world.

The outside viewer-
Nothing has changed, politics, BS and more and more new people on the timeline... it will never end. Will it?

It's fishing, have fun, quit bickering...

Just an opinion / observation from a nobody… bring on the arguers

The preceding information has not been evaluated by BWE, use as described, results may vary.

from a fisherman formly known as C-level

Oh how we need to turn this into a pole of where your at on the above scale
Old 11-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #37
T Bone

To quote Schultz: "I KNOW NUTTZING!!!"

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10

Last edited by T Bone; 11-13-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #38
Matt
Support your local pangas

Dude you quoted Sgt. Schultz......, well played sir, well played!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #39
j mo

^Were you fishing a "panga" today? that things is sweet!

sorry for the thread jack....
Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #40
Jimmyz123

Can't we all just get along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post
Amen Adi!

• Man buys kayak
  • Man fishes in Kayak
  • Man Catches fish
  • Man post Report
  • Man Catches more fish
  • Man post more reports
  • Man buys power boat

LOL
I must be broken because I went the other way on this. For years my dad and I owned boats, as you know BOAT mean
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand
I couldn't afford the constant repairs and such so I donated my old boat to Father Joe. Then I spent a few years researching Kayak fishing and finally made the leap. Tore my bicep tendon on my first trip out had surgery and 8 months later I'm back at it. This sport and community of fisherman, Boaters and Kayakers, is too important for us to all bash each other for posting a report.
Yes, I agree one should post only their reports unless otherwise authorized to do so. Does that make Scally a bad fisherman? No.
You name the fish board, BD, SD, or whatever and you will always find those who want to preserve a fishery so they tell you not to speak of an area of fishing for fear that it will be over fished. I believe that we all love to catch fish, and we all know there are newbies out there that would also love to catch fish. When you see a newbie land their first big fish, hands shaking from the rush, and the smile on their face, man that's what it's all about. I'll catch my first big fish from the Yak someday and you know I'll be posting a report.

Let's all just get out and catch some fish.
Closed Thread