Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
dgax65
Guerro Grande

DFG News Release - MLPA News

Public Workshops Scheduled to Begin MLPA Initiative South Coast Project

SACRAMENTO - Workshops are scheduled this month and next to introduce the public to the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative’s South Coast Project. The overall goals of the workshops are to orient people to the MLPA Initiative process, specifically in the MLPA South Coast Study Region (state waters from Point Conception in Santa Barbara County south to the California border with Mexico, including offshore islands), generate nominations for a regional stakeholder group, invite questions, and solicit input on the process.

“Our goal is to help the state conserve marine life and habitat by designing a network of marine protected areas along the entire coast of California in order to restore a healthy ocean ecosystem,” said Susan Golding, chair of a task force overseeing the planning process. “The public’s participation is vital to our ability to do this successfully.”

The workshops will use an “open house” format where attendees may choose to visit at any time during the three hours and walk through a number of informational stations. Key information stations include an overview of the MLPA Initiative process and timeline; the status of marine protected areas in California; and how the public can get involved. Staff will be available at each station so that attendees may ask questions and provide feedback.

A second set of workshops are scheduled for:
● Huntington Beach on Tuesday, July 8, 2008: Huntington Beach
Harbor View Club House, 16600 Saybrook Lane, 714-536-5486
● Encinitas on Wednesday, July 9: Facility to be determined
(check the MLPA website at www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa)
● San Diego on Thursday, July 10: Reuben H. Fleet Science Center,
1875 El Prado, 619-238-1233.

All workshop times are 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.

The full release is available at this link:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news08/mlpa_08003.pdf
Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
PAL

A good time for a Show and Tell. Notice the MLPA Staff has scheduled multiple times / venues for the convenience of the public. I encourage anyone who wants to learn more about the MLPA process to attend a session. Staff aren't always so immediately available.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
PAL

The first set of public workshops are next week:

• Santa Barbara on Monday, June 23, 2008: Louise Lowry Davis Recreation Center, 1232 De La Vina St., 805-897-2568

• Oxnard on Tuesday, June 24, 2008: South Oxnard Center, 200 E. Bard Road (located next to the South Oxnard Branch Library), 805-385-8362

• Santa Monica on Wednesday, June 25, 2008: Ken Edwards Center, 1527 Fourth St., 310-458-8300.

Stop on by and show the kayak fishing flag. Let them know we deserve a place at the table, just like the sportboat riders and shore stalkers.

I encourage everyone with an interest in ocean kayak fishing in Southern California to attend. There are no set meeting times. You can breeze through between 5:30 and 8:30. Giving credit where its due, the public figures involved in the process are going the extra mile to make themselves available. Take advantage of the opportunity.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Bump.

I gotta remember to make it to the one on July 10th. It's too close to my place not to show up and see what's going on.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
PAL

Some of the southern workshop locations have changed. Here's the latest word from the MLPA staff.

Quote:
All open houses are open to the general public and are scheduled from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Drop by anytime!

Tuesday, July 8 - Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach Harbor View Club House
16600 Saybrook Lane

Wednesday, July 9 - Carlsbad
Hilton Garden Inn
6450 Carlsbad Blvd.

Thursday, July 10 - San Diego
Holiday Inn Express Old Town
3900 Old Town Ave.

Our primary goal is to ensure that all constituents get their voice heard by encouraging participation in MLPA process from the very beginning.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Tyler, see ya at July 10th, I was originally going to the meeting on the 9th, but this is next to my house.... 1st round of beers at High Dive bar n grill on me... (afterwards)

anyone else?
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Thanks PAL. Please let us know if there are any other changes of venue. Finding the info can be a little confusing.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post

● San Diego on Thursday, July 10: Reuben H. Fleet Science Center,
1875 El Prado, 619-238-1233.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post

Thursday, July 10 - San Diego
Holiday Inn Express Old Town
3900 Old Town Ave.

which location is coorect for July 10 ???

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
PAL

Quote:
which location is coorect for July 10 ???
As of this moment, it is set for Old Town. The change was announced in two emails sent by the MLPA staff yesterday.

Due to the state's compressed time frame - imposed by the governor - short notice and changes in location are typical.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Bump again. First one is today.

I plan on being at the one in Old Town on Thursday. If they move it I hope they keep it close by.

Anyone know if the venue has changed for any of these since PAL's last announcement?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
sdcityboy

thanx for the heads up paul. i have on my things-to-do list-rubin h fleet i guess now it's a good excuse to hit squidco
Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
Billy V

I plan on going tomorrow the 10th @ Old Town. It would be nice to meet some of you guys.

I'll be wearing a KTM baseball cap.

Billy V
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I thought the turn out was pretty good last night at Old town for the kayak anglers.

I don't think there was anything new to learn there. All the info that was there has been posted on this board or others. I think we all made a point of filling out the comment sheet at the last station. Don't know if they actually read them.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #14
PAL

Thanks to everyone who came by. Those comment sheets will be read, as will the sign-in sheet. The MLPA Initiative staff are very aware of kayak anglers; as a group, we've turned out impressive numbers. Getting our own stakeholder spot is no sure thing - we've upped our odds dramatically.

Please keep the stakeholder support letters coming: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=3535
Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
Billy V

I agree there was a good turnout, and I heard plenty of angry anglers asking questions.
Be Advised:
This is a response to my Nomination Letter as of today, please follow the most recent info on "Who to Contact" for making a nomination. They seem to be changing lots of things at the Very last Minute.
Looks fishy.

{Ken Wiseman is out of the country until Monday, July 14. In his absence, Program Manager Melissa Miller-Henson is in charge of the MLPA Intiative operations and can be reached at (916) 654-2506. If for some reason you can not reach Melissa, please call Lead Planner Evan Fox at (650) 387-9306. Make it a fabulous day!}

Please Remember
" The Nomination for South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group"
Has to be received no later that 5:00 PM Friday, July 18, 2008. So if you haven't written your letter recommending PAL, please do it asap. Address it to Melissa Miller-Henson. This info was from a document I received last night.

Mail:
Marine life Protection Act Initiative
c/o California Resources Agency
1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1311
Sacramento. CA. 95814
Attention: Melissa Miller-Henson

or E-Mail
MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

Stating a Nomination Request addressed to Melissa Miller-Henson

PS Paul check your PM. I need your full contact info for the 3 letters I'm writing today.

Billy V

Last edited by Billy V; 07-11-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
sdcityboy

i saw the map of existing state marine protected areas and couldnt believe it. i had no idea that there were that many already protected areas!!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #17
madscientist

I was there early; filled out the comment sheet. I tried to slip in the phrase "non-motorized fishing parks" as much as I could. Protect the environment while granting the public access to what are ultimately THEIR fisheries (if they are willing to paddle a bit ). I'm hoping it will catch on, but I just renewed my Mex insurance in any event.