Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
ccacher1

Rod strength for yellowtail/wsb

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Seagate 35 and put 50lb braid on it with a 20lb mono top shot. I have an 8' Teramar medium heavy, 15-30lb line, and 3/4-2oz lure weight...just wondering if I can get away with using this for dropping live bait for yellowtail and wsb or do I need something stronger? If so whats a good rod setup?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccacher1 View Post
Hey guys,

I just picked up a Seagate 35 and put 50lb braid on it with a 20lb mono top shot. I have an 8' Teramar medium heavy, 15-30lb line, and 3/4-2oz lure weight...just wondering if I can get away with using this for dropping live bait for yellowtail and wsb or do I need something stronger? If so whats a good rod setup?
Sounds like it would be just fine, however I would ditch the topshop and use 30lb floro leaders instead. It's all personal preference but it's always worked for me
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
steveooo

I have that same teramar, and I've caught YT on it. It's definitely not the ideal rod, but the teramars are pretty fast action, and have enough backbone that you can get away with it.

I like something in the 25-40lb, or 30-50lb range for our local fish. If you are going to fish spectra with a short top shot, look for a parabolic rod that will make up for the lack of stretch in the spectra.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
I have that same teramar, and I've caught YT on it. It's definitely not the ideal rod, but the teramars are pretty fast action, and have enough backbone that you can get away with it.

I like something in the 25-40lb, or 30-50lb range for our local fish. If you are going to fish spectra with a short top shot, look for a parabolic rod that will make up for the lack of stretch in the spectra.
Hmm...is there a specific rod brand/model in the $100 range that you would recommend?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
ccacher1

Follow up question. Could I just use 30lb mono the whole way instead of spectra?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
steveooo

I'd look for a used Seeker Classic or Calstar live bait rod. You should be able to find a gently used one in the $100 range pretty easily. If you want to go new, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Ugly Stick Tiger rods. The gear heads may scoff at them- but they are nice, inexpensive, durable rods that can put up with the abuse.

Contact fishaholic on this site to see what he has. I bet he could set you up with something that would be ideal for a pretty good price.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
jorluivil

yes you can, its all in the fight.

I've also fought and brought up to color a few BSB on these rods.

These are the two rods(teramar) that I use the most for hali's, yt or wsb fishing. It takes a little longer to get the fish up to gaff/color but its lots of fun

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
silentsmell

Hit up fishaholic, he's got what you need for sure. If you don't mind a used rod, you can save a lot.
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccacher1 View Post
Hmm...is there a specific rod brand/model in the $100 range that you would recommend?
Ugly Stick. Never let me down.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Drake

My whole arsenal is compiled of seeker stealths. They have never let me down. They are lightweight, they look nice, and very very affordable
Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
scotty1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
My whole arsenal is compiled of seeker stealths. They have never let me down. They are lightweight, they look nice, and very very affordable

Ive seen a bunch of those at the BIG5 in el cajon. they are running 129.99. Im sure if you get a coupon you can get them for a better price. Ive been tempted to pick one up, but I have no need for it.
scotty1369 is offline   Reply With Quote