Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Dennis

11/04 am

Dang, I forgot how much traffic sucked.
Launched at 0700. Got to the launched at high tide with some 3-4ft sets. I mean clean throwing waves. Water vis 10', 61 degrees, brisk wind out of the SE. Timed it right and made it out dry. Bait was hard to make. I don't think I made any at the kelp. Threw some iron, paddled, yo-yoed, paddled, yo-yoed.... Not much went on out there. Met up with INC at 1030, and we paddled to the pier and tried for hali or whatever.. Finally made some candy sized greenies and dines. We paddled to Black's, and drifted. The wind picked up, so the drift was too fast. That was it... We did see a glider almost hit the face of the cliff, a couple of times. Landed at 2 pm. Surf was still pumpin', tide pulling out. Almost got flipped by a rouge 3'. Hopefully someone has a better story... Nelz, anything?
Be safe, Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Calcutta

LJ maiden voyage 11/04

same here, launched at 6, nada off the point - no bait- ended up making only one spaniard after a long paddle down to the pier around 11:30, I think- birds start working outside the point around noon, my bro decides to charge and I reluctantly follow- got back outside the reserve, bait is here, Kelly aka Remington makes four pieces of nice greenie and heads farther outside, I just slow troll the lonely spanish- get bit, stoked, end up with a heck of a sleigh ride, not the big fork I thought at first, but a black sea bass I'm guessing between 60-70 lbs., pulled the 40 lb. on the TN30 with a tight drag really hard, so much fun! Nice how you can dig your heels in on the yak and really pull on a fish. I just started yakking two weeks ago, I was wondering how it would go fighting a fish with shoulders- my opinion is it's better then stand up, you can pull hard as hell with a tight drag, epic. Bummed when she was floating, I slipped out the 6/0 Owner circle and flagged down a commercial bug guy to see if he could help me get her back down- I was stoked and stressing at the same time, she was still strong but couldn't get down- Ended up grabbing her right at her tail with two hands and turned her right side up, she bolted and made it maybe 8-10 feet down, but the good thing was the stream of bubbles coming from her arse, mac farts or better yet swim bladder compressing, she came back up one more time, tried to grab her tail and she bolted to the bottom, stoked!!! Lobster guy was stoked, he was tripping on that fish coming to the yak, we were both stoked she was good to go- I waited around for about ten minutes, she never came back up, STOKED!!! Back to the beach, great day! I'm really liking being able to launch from the beach and get a workout on 40 lb., how cool is this??? Insane way to fish....
Calcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
twinfin

STOKED!!

That pretty much sums it up. Nice work on the big bass C&R
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Calcutta

thanks, seriously stoked when she went down for good- I had thoughts of the useless morons that speared that BSB in the preserve, if she floated away with gulls pecking out her eyes, I'd be in the same boat- gotta protect our friends, especially the ones that need our help the most...
Calcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Dennis

Good job, Calcutta. I was just outside of the round house when I saw you guys gunning for the birds. See, I knew there would be a better story. That's an even better C&R. Thanks.
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:52 AM   #6
madscientist

Nice job. I had to work with one big BSB for about 20min to get him to go down. What arelief it was to when he finally took off. Great that you put the effort in and congrats.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
bdkirby

Send a message via AIM to bdkirby Send a message via Yahoo to bdkirby
Congrats

Kudos on the good fight and the persistent C&R, speaks volumes of your character and helps build a positive social perceptiveness of local anglers.