Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Skunked at Mission

We had a beautiful day on the water today except for the lack of fish action. I talked with another fisherman coming off the water and he said the bite lasted about 15 minutes today at dawn then just turned off completely. Said he tried everything in his box with no action. I had one bite on a squid but it cleaned off my hook without getting hooked, probably something small and hungry.We took out the new boat today, a Malibu Pro 2 tandem I bought so my wife would be close enough for me to help. It was her first time on a sit on top and it spooked her for awhile, she is used to her sit in so she felt it every time I moved. It was fun for me to wiggle every once in awhile just to watch her grab the gunnels. The boat paddles nice and easy but it is a wet ride. The hull slopes up into the cockpit so every wave washes over instead of being deflected. Today was so nice I didn't mind getting wet but I'm thinking on a cold day I'll be glad to be wearing my paddling pants. I still have to get it rigged for fishing but after today I could see where I need to put things. We launched at the ski beach and went under the bridge to the sail cove but most of the kayaks were fishing right off the launch ramp area.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Jacurley45

Did your wife want to go fishing? If so, how did you do it? Mine isn't still so sure about it
Jacurley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacurley45 View Post
Did your wife want to go fishing? If so, how did you do it? Mine isn't still so sure about it
My wife grew up fishing, she loves it. She was afraid of the sit on top kayaks but after today I think she feels better about it. I have a harder time getting away from her to go fishing by myself than I do talking her into going. Unless it's really cold and windy she is there.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
1lastcast?94
Junior

No luck for me either... had 2 bite's around 11am then nothing!
1lastcast?94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lastcast?94 View Post
No luck for me either... had 2 bite's around 11am then nothing!
Still a great day to be on the water. This great weather will end soon and it will be back to fighting the cold.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Amish Ed

At least you got out there Harry. I haven't been out in 3 weeks and it's killing me. My truck died last week too, so I'm out for at least this week as well.

Now that you've used the new yak with the wife does this mean that you can take it out by yourself?
Old 02-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
At least you got out there Harry. I haven't been out in 3 weeks and it's killing me. My truck died last week too, so I'm out for at least this week as well.

Now that you've used the new yak with the wife does this mean that you can take it out by yourself?
Yep, now that the new yak has lost it's cherry I'm good to go.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Cool. As soon as I have a vehicle that can haul a yak i'll let you know.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
stoned-trout

its been slow for me .. 5 or 6 bass average...a rig with a jig on bottom like a dropshot rig been working good for me...curl tail grubs...rigging the bottom one texas style works too with a bullet weight....I keep a few toothpicks for pegging em if needed
Old 02-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
My wife grew up fishing, she loves it. She was afraid of the sit on top kayaks but after today I think she feels better about it. I have a harder time getting away from her to go fishing by myself than I do talking her into going. Unless it's really cold and windy she is there.

Nice!
Jacurley45 is offline   Reply With Quote