Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
cris

Point Loma Fish & Surf 10/18, La Jolla Dive 10/19

Had a buddy in town and Sunday off so around noon we loaded up the car and launched at Kellogg beach. I brought fishing gear, he brought a longboard and we both brought freedive gear. The weight capacity and space on the Oasis makes these adventures possible. Took us about 45 minutes pedalling with the tide swing to make it to the point and he had the surf break all to himself out there, waist to shoulder high sets and long rides. After I dropped him I pulled out the Sabiki and hit went south out of the MPA. Caught some mini macks and a couple of larger greenback easily and proceeded to troll them around for a couple of bites that didn't stick. Picked up my bud and we went and freedove around the kelp beds for a while before heading in.

This morning we hit up La Jolla cove for a scuba dive. Beautiful weather, easy parking and no surge. We surface swam out due North and then West towards the lobster buoys. Dropped in 30' and swam due west to 45 and then due south before turning around and navigating back and underwater right into the cove. Surfaced in front of the life guards with another 30 minutes of air remaining. Kelp is healthy, lots of undersized lobster and plenty of fingerling calico bass and halibut around. Very few legal sized calico and only a handful of sheephead, mostly female. Did see some schools of tanker sized surf perch which got me absolutely stoked. Sea lions joined us for a portion of the dive, not at all shy. Grabbed a burrito and back home in time for work. Love the work from home routine.

Diving the La Jolla kelp beds is an eye-opening experience, pretty amazing to see tons of space with not a fish in sight, and then all of a sudden see the calicos schooling around a single kelp stalk just like all the others. I'll add some underwater photos this evening.

C
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
cris

Some pics
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
SoCalEDC

Cool thanks for the report. Underwater photos are always great. Get a little glimpse of what the fish sees
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
cris

Was really cool to explore the bottom, see the features like rocks, nooks and crannies.