Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

More on Redondo Parking...

As Tony said...the hand launch dock will be pulled out of the water on December 5th and we'll have to use the hoist dock to hand launch. The guys at the hoist will require you to fill out a one time liability form to get it on record. There will be no fee to launch...the guys ask that you have your act together and not linger too long on the dock as it can get pretty busy there with the skiffs using the hoist and the commercial boats unloading occasionally. If you are launching a Hobie PA or a long kayak you may want to make sure you have some help as that narrow walkway and the turn at the gate entrance can be a little challenging.

OK...NOW SOME PARKING RATE INFO...
I contacted Redondo Mayor Bill Brand and he passed my letter on to the Harbor Commissioner Steven Proud...Here is Steven's reply and suggestion...

"As far as I know - this has not been a topic of discussion with the Harbor Commission or the City Council.

By way of background - the parking rate for the marina parking lot is $2 per hour which is consistent with the other two municipal lots in the waterfront – so the rate is being applied correctly. As we continue to transition the RBM parking lot from Decron to a municipal operation – we are looking to phase out discounts and validations – to be consistent with other operations in the City. Since we do not offer discounted public parking anywhere else in the City that I am aware of – offering it in the marina could be a challenge.

Stephen"

"I suggest rounding up all the anglers and sup folks you can and show up to a Harbor Commission meeting and speak under non-agenda items asking them to make a recommendation to the Council to reinstate the discount. I'm pretty certain they will make that recommendation if you all show-up. Then the Council will hear it and make the change.

Sounds like a great suggestion. Bring a bunch of folks to the non-agenda item time and let them know you're concern. A signed petition by folks who can't be there would help too.

I'LL FIND OUT THE REDONDO BEACH HARBOR COMMISSION MEETING SCHEDULE AND I'LL POST IT UP HERE...BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN GATHERING SIGNATURES FOR A PETITION AND IF YOU'LL SHOW UP AT A MEETING WITH ME...????

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
goldenglory18

I'd be happy to sign a petition, Jim. Just let me know....

- Kenny
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

Response

Here is my response to the Mayor and the Harbor Commissioner...

Good Morning Steven and Mayor Brand
My name is Jim Salazar. I got your contact info through my friend Bill Varney. We are both on the State Board of Directors of the Coastal Conservation Association of California. I am also a kayak fisherman that utilizes the Redondo King Harbor hand launch dock for launching my kayaks. I have been launching my small boats and kayaks here for over 20 years and in the past we had a "hand launch" flat rate that we paid for 8 hours of parking. When the City of Redondo took over the parking lot from it's previous private contractor that ran the parking lot (Decron), the city removed the "hand launch" flat rate and replaced it with the regular $2 per hour rate.This $2 per hour rate make it rather excessive for an all day adventure on the water...many of our fishing trips can last as much as 8 hours, which would be a $16 fee for parking. This is rather excessive when you consider the King Harbor hand launch is a safe and easy launch for kids, beginners and older folks for their SUPs or kayaks. Please reconsider removing this formerly affordable coastal access for our local and out of the area kayakers and SUP users.
You said..."we are looking to phase out discounts and validations – to be consistent with other operations in the City. Since we do not offer discounted public parking anywhere else in the City that I am aware of – offering it in the marina could be a challenge."
At this time you offer discounted parking for the boat hoist, and the sport-fishing operations...is the city planning on removing these discounts to be consistent with the other city lots? This marina parking lot that we are discussing is not the same as all the other city lots as it has some special facilities not offered anywhere else, such as the sport-fishing, boat hoist and hand launch facilities. For this reason I think it is imperative to make some special rates for these activities not found anywhere else in the area. Please reinstate a flat rate for hand launching. It can be as simple as having the parking lot attendant visually confirm that the vehicle exiting the lot has a SUP or kayak in or on the vehicle.
Coastal Access and especially Affordable Coastal Access is an intregal part of our beautiful California coastline and it should be available to all your local constituents...especially the young, the old and the disabled.
Thank you for your valuable time...

Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Your approach is pretty smart there...

Jim,

Usually when cities have commission meetings they would let you mail in a topic of discussion.... Because these commission meetings are held during the week...

If you find where to address our concerns for the parking requirement to the correct commission please let us know... and If we can get a petition going... that would be great

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

More info...

Some more info...the Harbor Commission meets each month on the second Monday and the meetings are at 6:30pm near the harbor.

...Our source was very forceful in telling me that a presence at the meeting would allow the council to recommend this change to the commission who would then discuss, consider and implement. He suggested a good sized group with one speaker, a petition and a list of reasons why the discount is important. With this information he and the council would be in a much stronger position to recommend the change to the commission.

Mayor Brand is very much in favor of the change but reiterated that he is just one of the many "yes" votes needed to make this happen.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 11-09-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Lets see if we can attack this at another angle...

So to anybody that has ever fished out of Redondo and has parked and used the hand launch, lets compile a list of businesses that you have patronized while you were in the city of Redondo Beach.

I'll start it off.

1. Jersey Mike's Sub
2. Carl's Jr.
3. Panda Express
4. Smart and Final
5. Polly's
6. Captain Jack's
7. Dickey's Barbeque
8. 7-11
9. Big Mike's Sub
10. West Marine
11. Redondo Marine Hardware
12. Tony's on the Pier
13. R10

I'll leave Norm's out since the one we visit is in Torrance...

Any other businesses you guys visit?

Last edited by ful-rac; 11-09-2017 at 10:02 AM.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Fish Taco

Jim,

Thanks for all of your efforts on behalf of all kayakers and SUP users. I would do my best to be present at the meeting that you wish for us all to show up if that would help, just give me some notice and I'll do my best to be there. I'd be glad to sign a petition as well.

Thanks again,

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Druko

Count me in!

I almost always grab food at Captain Kids after a long day on the water and frequently meet friends for drinks at
Tony's on the Pier and R10 for happy hour

Last edited by Druko; 11-09-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Druko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druko View Post
Count me in!

I almost always grab food at Captain Kids after a long day in the water and frequently meet friends for drinks at
Tony's on the Pier and R10 for happy hour
Excellent! I will add that to the list!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

meeting...?

The next Harbor Commission meetings are on Nov. 13th and Dec. 11.The meetings are at 6:30pm at the Redondo Beach Council Chambers, 415 Diamond Street, Redondo Beach, 415 Diamond Street, Redondo Beach, CA, 90277... This is down the hill from the high school and across the street from the McDonalds on PCH. The police department is in the same building. It's very close to King Harbor.

The December meeting might be a better one to shoot for...which will allow us to write a petition and get plenty of signatures on it to present with a group of SUP and kayakers on the 11th.

OK...who's expertise is in writing a petition...? I'll help you word it and cover the pertinent political and social issues.
One of Tony's thoughts was to take it to the business's he has listed and that you anglers frequent and get their signatures on there too.

Please PM me if you are serious about attending the meeting on Dec. 11th. and I'll start an email list to keep you informed.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 11-09-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
smokie

Just curious, what was the flat rate before? I'm not from the area, but stuff like this is all too familiar in California.

I mean, if less people are going there, they won't make as much on parking and the other aspect you mentioned, businesses would be affected. When will these yahoos wise up.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Jim, add to the list that high parking rates will likely cause paddleboarders and kayakers to take up valuable street and private business parking spaces.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #13
aftahour

Thanks for the update. Wow parking gonna be crazy for people on the sports boat. Has anyone brought up the issue of using the launch at moonstone park? That area should be open to the public.im willing to sign the petition.
A list of other businesses I visit is the standing room, el burrito jr, Cheesecake Factory and blue water gill
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #14
King Saba

Can't promise that I can make it to any meeting, but I'll sign any petition needed and spread the word.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #15
fourtogo

Launch site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Here is my response to the Mayor and the Harbor Commissioner...

Good Morning Steven and Mayor Brand
My name is Jim Salazar. I got your contact info through my friend Bill Varney. We are both on the State Board of Directors of the Coastal Conservation Association of California. I am also a kayak fisherman that utilizes the Redondo King Harbor hand launch dock for launching my kayaks. I have been launching my small boats and kayaks here for over 20 years and in the past we had a "hand launch" flat rate that we paid for 8 hours of parking. When the City of Redondo took over the parking lot from it's previous private contractor that ran the parking lot (Decron), the city removed the "hand launch" flat rate and replaced it with the regular $2 per hour rate.This $2 per hour rate make it rather excessive for an all day adventure on the water...many of our fishing trips can last as much as 8 hours, which would be a $16 fee for parking. This is rather excessive when you consider the King Harbor hand launch is a safe and easy launch for kids, beginners and older folks for their SUPs or kayaks. Please reconsider removing this formerly affordable coastal access for our local and out of the area kayakers and SUP users.
You said..."we are looking to phase out discounts and validations – to be consistent with other operations in the City. Since we do not offer discounted public parking anywhere else in the City that I am aware of – offering it in the marina could be a challenge."
At this time you offer discounted parking for the boat hoist, and the sport-fishing operations...is the city planning on removing these discounts to be consistent with the other city lots? This marina parking lot that we are discussing is not the same as all the other city lots as it has some special facilities not offered anywhere else, such as the sport-fishing, boat hoist and hand launch facilities. For this reason I think it is imperative to make some special rates for these activities not found anywhere else in the area. Please reinstate a flat rate for hand launching. It can be as simple as having the parking lot attendant visually confirm that the vehicle exiting the lot has a SUP or kayak in or on the vehicle.
Coastal Access and especially Affordable Coastal Access is an intregal part of our beautiful California coastline and it should be available to all your local constituents...especially the young, the old and the disabled.
Thank you for your valuable time...
I haven't hit Redondo yet , just some back ground on this place . Question for inner harbor launch this only area ?
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote