Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Trip comparison.

I have been asked an interesting question from a member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
If you will please, compare the good and the not so good experiences between your Cedros trip and your Alaska trip. Awesome post!
Thanks in advance.
Well, I don’t think the two trips can be compared against each other.

For example, there is a big difference in cost of the trips.
The Cedros package of (6) six days outing is a 4.5 days of fishing. For about $2,200.00
The Alaskan Anglers Inn (AAI) is $3,690 for the same 4.5 days of fishing.
The Cedros package (2,200.00) includes round trip transportation from San Diego.
My plane ticket to Gustavus from LAX and back was $635.00
The plane cost changes on a daily basis, like stock market. Another guest paid $1,200.00 to join us. Same Alaska Airlines trip.
Both packages exclude tips, and alcohol.
While AAI included vacuum packing and fishing license.
The Cedros Outdoor Adventures (COA) did not.

Due to small plane of (COA), the weight of your luggage is limited, but no cost.
On (AAL), there is a cost, but you may be able to check in more luggage. Depending on the total check-ins by others and also bigger plane capacity.

All fishing gear is included on (AAI) as well as heavy duty rain gear and boots if needed.
Fishing rods are available at Cedros for no charge. Everything else needs to come with you. Thus, cutting into your free weight allowance for bringing back fish. No rain gear needed at Cedros.

Catch comparison:
I made a quick check online and found these prices. They are subject to change as usual.

Yellowtail, $15.87 per pound. The short version is that this is sort of like C-levels Catalina yellowtail report, but with less bait and less fish and it cost way more than twice as much.

These halibut steaks are pressurized and packaged for shipping. Other seafood retailers may sell cheeks for about $20 to $26 per pound and smoked fillets for $30 to $40 per pound. The whole halibut, without any work done to it, can be within that $12 to $21+ per pound range.

Side note: I did not get any halibut cheeks in my box. I should have had at least eight of them. I was told I should have asked for them!!!!!!

Wild caught Coho salmon per pound is about $20.00

Lastly, as far as rooms, provided food and service, I would say they are both similar.
The Jacuzzi and rec. center at AAI were a plus, the fishing boats were better with all kind of electronic devises. The captains were more experienced, hard working.

Both places have short season, Alaska for getting too cold and Cedros for getting too hot and stormy.

No passport needed for Alaska. English is spoken there. No driving on foreign country roads.

I had great time on both adventures. Being wiser the second trip at Cedros.
Already made my list of what to bring, dos and don’ts for the next year’s trip to Alaska.

I hope I answered some questions. If there are more specific questions, please post here and I will do my best to answer them.

The End.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote