Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Redondo parking petition...?

Check this out and let me know what changes you guys think are needed before it goes to print...

We the undersigned respectfully request that the Redondo Beach Harbor Commission and the City Council reinstate the “hand launch” flat rate for the Marina Parking lot. The hand launch is the only safe location within miles to access the harbor and open ocean for SUPs and Kayaks. Marina Del Rey and San Pedro are the next safe coastal access locations without a dangerous surf launch. This launch is especially helpful for the young, old or the beginner. With the increase to $2 per hour for parking the city has made it more difficult for families and those on lower or set incomes to enjoy a lengthy stay in the harbor.
The flat rate will help to increase the number of people visiting your area and encourage them to spend their money on food, drinks, ice and gas rather than $2 per hour on parking. The on street parking around the lot may also become more congested for local parking if we are forced to unload and then park for free on the city streets.
At this time there are two special rates already existing at the Marina parking lot; the Sport Fishing operation has a special rate for their customers as does the Boat Hoist.
In the past a simple visual inspection by the parking attendant would verify if the car leaving the lot had an SUP or a kayak and they would be eligible for the “hand launch” flat rate.

PLEASE REINSTATE THE “HAND LAUNCH’ FLAT RATE FOR PARKING IN THE REDONDO BEACH KING HARBOR MARINA LOT.

COASTAL ACCESS AND ESPECIALLY AFFORDABLE COASTAL ACCESS IS AN INTREGAL PART OF OUR BEAUTIFUL CALIFORNIA COASTLINE AND IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO ALL YOUR LOCAL CONSTITUENTS...ESPECIALLY THE YOUNG, THE OLD AND THE DISABLED.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

sounds good to me

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
TheBentRod

Are others getting the discount?

I don't know if the regular SUP or small PWC people are getting the discount. Since most of them only stay on for about an hour or two, they may not bother or know about the discount. Do the other businesses validate? I used to go the Redondo Sportfishing for my discount and never tried the other merchants. It would be worth it to buy a beer or burger for the discount if its an option.

I also don't recall any close free street parking in the area.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Looks good to me!

Short and to the point.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
GTboosted

Is there a simple way to add that some of us launch before the lot attendant gets there? Current policy states that without a ticket, we must get charged maximum value of $30. Happened to us...
Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

Sounds good, thanks Jim.

Mayor Brand was a big endorser of Measure C. One of it's key initiatives was to preserve recreational parking.
http://www.billbrand.org/measure-c/

Last edited by jruiz; 11-14-2017 at 10:21 AM.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Is there a simple way to add that some of us launch before the lot attendant gets there? Current policy states that without a ticket, we must get charged maximum value of $30. Happened to us...
Oh jeez, really?

Yeah, that should be captured somewhere if thats the case.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Definitely should bring up at the meeting not necessarily write in the petition that during the winter time the normally mostly empty parking lot will be completely empty if they start charging everyone full tilt! And it will force, like you said everyone to park and clog up the surrounding city streets. If nobody park's in the parking lot because of the high cost...whats the purpose of having a parking lot?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Oh jeez, really?

Yeah, that should be captured somewhere if thats the case.....
Yup. 30 freaking dollars lol

Luckily we managed to convince them to lower it but I doubt they can do that for us on the regular.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
King Saba

I like it Jim. Let's hope it gets recognized and the parking issue addressed. It seems like the whole harbor area is becoming gentrified making it impossible to have a nice day by the coast if you aren't loaded.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Saba Slayer

What...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Yup. 30 freaking dollars lol

Luckily we managed to convince them to lower it but I doubt they can do that for us on the regular.
Beto...in all the years that i've been going to the Redondo hand launch I've found that if you drive through the parking lot entrance before 7am the gate is open and you can not get a parking ticket from the machine. As far as I know, the parking lot attendant does not go on duty until 7am and the hourly rates do not start until 7am.
With that in mind...your parking rate starts at 7am and is $2 hourly until you leave. So... if you get there at 5am and stay until 10:59am you should pay $8...or $2 an hour for 4 hours ( from 7am till 10:59am)
The $30 fee seems a little exorbitant...!
With all respect...I don't think this needs to be added to the petition...
I'm hoping to keep it simple and get the flat rate reinstated...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
GTboosted

That's we were thinking also. Maybe the attendant was thinking that we were there from the previous day? But she said that was the policy to charge without a ticket? Whether it's true or not I don't know since we would always get it validated prior to that.

If it is true policy then it should help with the petition. If not then I guess we got the lady on a bad day.