Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

CCA CAL Mity Might Invitational

The Coastal Conservation Association of California along with Dana Landing, Hobie, Master/Rody, and Hookup Baits sponsored a Fun tournament in Mission Bay yesterday...It was a fishing industry invitational tourney to thank some of our sponsors and it was really enjoyed by all.
This event was a different format from most other tourneys. We could only use stock out of the box Mity Might rods and reels spooled with China's finest mono. These set-ups and some extras for the collateral damage...were donated by Pat at Master/Rody. Each participant was also given a set of 9 Hookup Baits in 3 sizes from 1/16oz. to 1/4oz. along with a small bottle of scent donated by Chad and JoJo at Hookup Baits. That was it...no other terminal tackle or gear allowed...
The team from Hobie brought down a trailer full of fully rigged kayaks, and many of the anglers only had to show up with their license and sunglasses... LOL!
There were 9 teams...
The Hobie Googans, Master/Mity Might Mafia, CCA Cedros Compadres, Hookup Baits Holigans, Spotty Illuminati, “Really”…Salty Crew, Let’s Talk Hookup Radio Renagades, Sandy Eggo Anglers, and a last minute team from Dana Landing.

Steve Pinard from Dana Landing and a big supporter of CCA CAL, put some
Tri-Tip on the Traeger grill that morning and by 1 pm we were having spicy tuna (Bonito) and poke (Bonito) as appetizers with some great Tri-Tip sandwiches and potato salad for lunch. Thanks Steve......and THANKS for the use of your 21' Parker CC as a safety tournament boat...!!!

We used the iAngler app for another easy smart phone CPR (catch, photo, release) tourney with three categories...biggest bass...biggest "other fish" (no rays or sharks)...and a team division with the teams three longest fish counting as a total. Sondra Mote was our judge at the computer and she did an outstanding job with so many fish being submitted.
You can go to the iAngler Tourney site to see the leaderboard and the results. It's a really cool system and I'm looking forward to using it again at the next 4 Battle of the Bays Tourneys.

Kevin Nakada Caught the biggest Bass (14.75" Spottie) and Chad caught the largest "other fish" (20" Cuda).

Team Hookup won the Team division and took home the Golden Rod award.
The Sandy Eggo Anglers Team was second and the Hobie Googans were third... although the Hobie guys were winning most of the day until the very last hour when Chad caught two short Cuda and took over 1st place for team Hookup Baits. Watching the leaderboard develop during the day was another fun aspect of using the iAngler app.

As usual Wayne Kotow our CCA CAL executive director did a great job of coordinating the event and pulled together a few volunteers to help... especially from the San Diego Anglers club....THANKS!
CCA CAL has a stock of about 40 of these Mity Might setups for future events...this was just a test and it was a home run...Brent and Andy...let me know when you guys want to put one of these small informal event together...either in Mission Bay or at the Sunset Beach location.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
DESTROYER

Looked like an awesome event!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
carbonbass

it's actually really fun to catch fish on those rigs, I used to bring setups like that to redondo harbor with my yak and fish the mouth for 1-2 lb bonito on them, makes them feel a lot bigger lol.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
jorluivil

Cool pics!!

I've always wanted to set up a tournament similar in nature, $40 but your entry comes with a Barbie fishing pole. The balance of the entry fees goes to the kayaker that can land the biggest halibut.

Someday.............

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
Saba Slayer

Ok

"I've always wanted to set up a tournament similar in nature, $40 but your entry comes with a Barbie fishing pole. The balance of the entry fees goes to the kayaker that can land the biggest halibut.
Someday............."

Ok...set it up and I can get you the Mity Mights at a super deal and everyone could keep them...

Old 12-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report. What a great way to say thank you.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
PapaDave

So how do you get into this event? And when is the next one?
Old 12-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

Don't Know...

Hey "Papa"...Don't know when the next one is...nothing is planned at this time except a possible kayak one in March in Dana Point.
If your part of a fishing club or organization please make a proposal on a date and a venue your club is willing to support...I'll see what we (CCA) can do to help you host the tourney.
This was "just a test" and it's a lot of fun so I'm ready to do another.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Hey "Papa"...Don't know when the next one is...nothing is planned at this time except a possible kayak one in March in Dana Point.
If your part of a fishing club or organization please make a proposal on a date and a venue your club is willing to support...I'll see what we (CCA) can do to help you host the tourney.
This was "just a test" and it's a lot of fun so I'm ready to do another.
Okay, will you keep us posted? I like fishing with tiny gear. Dana Point in March eh? I'm interested.