Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

La Jolla Close Call. Me:1 Seals:0

So let me take you on a journey on the elusive La Jolla Home guard Yellowtail, we at least elusive for me. I have had my fair share of yellowtails at La Jolla, but I don’t believe that any of them were Home guards. Well it was time for things to change yesterday November 6th.

I met up with Easyday and his buddy at the launch as we made plans for how things would go that day. I noticed there was a sandcastle, and I knew that was a sign for good things to come. I was on the water in short order and began making bait. Spanish, Spanish, and guess what, more Spanish.

The Greenies, for me at least, didn’t come out to play until the sun was up. After getting them under my boat (thanks Crazywakeboarder), my tank was filled with perfect size greenies, and I was ready for the troll. I went out as usual to the trolling grounds and set out my first mac. 5 minutes later a seal had breakfast on me. Wait a couple minutes, and drop another mac behind me. 5 minutes later, breakfast is served for another. Well at least I had to pickups relatively quickly in the day.

I make my way out a little further and drop my 3rd mac back, 5 minutes later I’m hooked up and the fish runs immediately down to the kelp. Small but smart yellowtail I thought, as the weight wasn’t there. After a few minutes of sawing through the kelp, I am rewarded with my first catch, about a 7lb Bonita. Well at least the skunk is off.

I drop another mac, and 5 minutes later, I am on again with a 7-8lb Bonita and I make short order of this one. BTW, no Bonita were hurt during the making of this report. All went back to fight another day. So that’s 4 pick-ups in the first 20 or so minutes. Not bad, but 2 were sea lions and the other 2 were not the right kind. I drop the next bait down and I have another Bonita trying to engulf my offering. This one gets away, but no biggie as I’m not looking for Bonies.

One thing I did notice with the Bonita, they would pick up a bait, and stay with it, regardless of if I set the hook and missed, they stayed vigilant in their pursuit of a meal. I set the hook several times, felt no weight, but left my bait back there, and they came right back to the scene of the crime.

In an effort to get away from the by catch and the sea lions, I went towards the Northwest corner in search of the one that got away (See Why lobster pot, Why?). I troll and I troll, and for good measure, troll some more. All for nothing. Easyday hooked up with a good size Thresher, but cut his line quicker that we would have liked. After that, I started with one fly line, and another on the bottom. Hoping I could pull a rabbit out the hat as the day wore on. Nothing on the bottom and nothing on the top for me as of then.

I start to chalk up the day as just putting in time on the water, of which I have no problem doing and begin to peddle back to the launch. It was a little after noon, and knowing the Santa Ana’s would pick up, I knew what was in store. Of course I was going to troll all the way in, hoping to connect. I hit Easyday up and let him know my plan, and he agrees.

On my way in, fighting the current and wind, I took a small nap, LMAO. Only for about 4-5 minutes. This is when things get exciting. I awake to my drag screaming and rod doubled over in the rod holder. I grab my rod, set the hook, and miss the fish. Well the adrenaline is pumping now, so I pin on a decent size mac, maybe 11 inches, and instead of dropping him back, I cast him back into the general vicinity of my last strike. Not even 10 seconds later and I’m on. And it’s a good one. The fish immediately takes a run to the bottom and wraps me up in all types of kelp. I kept a cool head and started sawing through the forest.

I then notice that the fish hit so hard that he got the hook, but missed the fish and my mac was now sliding up and down my braid. No problem for me, as long at the fish was still on. I fight through kelp and more kelp, but the fish is still there.

Now things get interesting. A sea lion eventually notices my bait, and decided to have lunch on me, but also takes my braid for a brief period. This sea lion decides to stay under my kayak for a while, waiting for me to toss out another bait, not knowing that I am hooked up. I kept my cool and tried my hardest for the sea lion to not notice the bend in my rod or the fish on the other end of the line. I peddle away from him, and he eventually takes off.

Now, knowing that sea lions were around, I had one of two options. Land the fish, or break my line trying. There was no way I was going to settle for letting a sea lion have my fish. I start short pumping my fish and laying to wood to him. I consistently feel kelp stringer after kelp stringer give way.

As I gain line, I set my gaff up for the hopeful shot while still laying the wood to this fish. Just then, a PB comes near, and brings two more sea lions to the party. Now I have 3 sea lions around me. I don’t care, this is my fish, and he’s coming home with me. I see the sea lions around, but also see the yellowtail at color. Wow, definitely my PB. I get him into gaff range and stick him first try. 15 seconds later, I have sea lions all around that missed the party. What a rush!!

It gets better. Caught it all on GoPro. Didn’t edit it, but you know how to fast forward. I do want to point out thought, for the rookies on here, there is much to learn watching this video. Cutting through kelp, what to do when sea lions are around, and how to handle yourself in a similar situation. If you watch closely, you can see each time I successfully go through a kelp stringer, and you can also see the sea lions under and around my kayak.

I got the Yellowtail in the boat without a scratch on him!!! Went 33lbs and 43” at fork. I’m thinking Homeguard just for the size and intelligence of this beautiful animal.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2cM...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images

Last edited by Cadillyak; 11-07-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
crazywakeboarder

Congrats bro. You earned that one.

And now its my turn for a homeguard
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Irishman

Great way to start the weekend!! Am heading out on Sunday. Fantastic fish!!
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
battleborn

great job at being persistent. Congrats. A well deserved home guard.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
easyday

Glad I was there for it all. And you deffinately called it with the sand castle that morning.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
DanaPT

sweet fish! there goes my full moon theory.

you seem to have this YT thing nailed.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #7
ctfphoto

Great write up and an even better fish.

Your time on the water has paid off.

Congrats man.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
sdmosch

Very nice!!
sdmosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #9
lbsurf2ca

Sounds like you paid the full price for that tasty meal. Good work...thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
LBKayakDude

I knew you had sumthin in your yak 👍 That's a big one man, nice job. So encouraging to get back out there.
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
FISH11

Super! That was a great video of how to land your prize. Great work staying on the fish and avoiding the dogs. Great gaff and landing to get it out of the water fast. Homeguard, are just another reason to keep going out to La Jolla year round. Thanks for sharing, Cadillyak. See you out there one of these times. I'm planning on Tuesday 11/11.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
RK

the pro angler needs a Cadillac hood ornament accessory on the bow.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwaterho View Post

high stick, check
loose drag, check
spool thumb, double check (you have a lever drag, use it)
slack line count, 5?

nice work staying ontop of the fish and getting that critical quik gaff shot tho!

Lol. That little reel has way to much drag for than I need. I like to thumb the spool. Also, it's been my luck that longer strokes, thus the high stick, makes longer cuts through the kelp. Slack line, gotta catch up to the line after u pop a stringer lol. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lol. But I can agree with the quick gaff shot. It's not always pretty.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Thanks for all the kind words. Fish are still there, just have to work for them. Get out there and get one.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
Aaron&Julie

Very sweet, and good story. Congrats.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #16
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

sick one man! congrats nice fish!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
Viper3173

Well done! Nice fish!
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #18
Dennis

Old 11-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
619-SWIM-DOG

Nice YT...congrats
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice yt bro, that's a nice pig! Hope I get one next trip out there. Getting the hang of the yoyo, so I'll be doing that while fly line next time

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk