Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #81
skrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
If a reporter asks any of us if we've seen a shark out there while kayak fishing the safest answer for all of us is to say "nope, never seen one"

With enough of us saying the same thing the media "should" loose interest pretty quickly

Then we can go on our merry way and continue to enjoy ourselves without any further beach closures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No need to lie. Just say you decline to share and have a nice day. If they insist then open the hatch and show em your trouser trout.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #82
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
No need to lie. Just say you decline to share and have a nice day. If they insist then open the hatch and show em your trouser trout.

That's a whole different kind of news story. lol

"Local news reporter sexually assaulted on camera, news at 11"
lol

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #83
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
When I landed yesterday around 2:15 pm, as I was dragging my kayak out of the water, I was approached by Hannah Mullins (a reporter with 10 news and her cameraman). She first asks me if I caught anything, I said nothing I wanted to keep. Then she asks if I saw any sharks any hammer heads, I said not today. She ask if I had seen them before and I say, Ya, they have been around for a couple months now. She asks surprised, a couple months. I said about couple months. but only now did anybody bring it up. I said we've seen a lot of other sharks that are a lot more dangerous than a hammer heads. She sounds interested and ask me if I want to chat about it. I said no, she sounds surprised and says, No. I said not really, I think it's been written about too much already, and people just misinterpret it. She looks puzzled and says good bye and walks away. I wonder what they would think, if we started talking about the GW's and Makos we have seen or hooked up, really close to the buoys the swimmers like to swim to on their way to the pier or shores everyday. I think the swimmers are the ones that are nuts, swimming in their area and close to so many seals. I think the last thing we need is the public to think the kayak fishermen are the ones responsible for the shark when they have been in the area all along. I mean it's their back yard and we are all just passing through. Enjoy the beauty of seeing then and leave them alone.
Mark, that's Excellent, I would of said same thing. I look forward to my first interview. Heres a news flash..SHARKS LIVE IN THE OCEAN..drops mic, exit stage left..
Old 09-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #84
FISH11

Excactly Ryan. I guess it's the latest story, so they run with it. The public has no clue what's out there, or what is swimming under them, while they are getting their exercise. They don't get it, that the sharks are generally not interested in them. They are not as lazy as those f***n seals, but might be attracted to the area because of the numbers of seals. Who knew sharks lived in the ocean?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #85
ctfphoto

Out today, water a little cooler, NO Hammerhead Sharks today, Just ........

...... the largest landlord that I have ever seen 5 miles out solo
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #86
DanaPT

Welcome to the club!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #87
HobieScot

I don't mind seeing the tax man as long as I'm ON the water and not IN the water

Thankfully I have never seen him while Spearfishing

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #88
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Out today, water a little cooler, NO Hammerhead Sharks today, Just ........

...... the largest landlord that I have ever seen 5 miles out solo
IS right! Im sure my day is coming when me and the man in the grey suit meet for first time..glad I have the mirage drive hole to SH^% my pants through
Old 09-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #89
Hunters Pa

My interview would go something like "yeah, since all the sea lions have taken over at Children's pool they have been attracting all kinds of predators that are just waiting to snack on a tourist. I mean, local businesses are making a ton of money knowingly sending people out into waters with a huge population of sharks that stick around because of the abundance of protected sea lions. You would think that local government would do something to diminish the presence of their natural forage, or maybe caving to activists is easier than looking out for the safety of tourists and the local businesses that the revenue they bring support"

Then I'd see if they actually air it, or spin it to say additional protection is needed for those poor cute sea-puppies that have to go into the dangerous water.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #90
Molten Furnace
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
My interview would go something like "yeah, since all the sea lions have taken over at Children's pool they have been attracting all kinds of predators that are just waiting to snack on a tourist. I mean, local businesses are making a ton of money knowingly sending people out into waters with a huge population of sharks that stick around because of the abundance of protected sea lions. You would think that local government would do something to diminish the presence of their natural forage, or maybe caving to activists is easier than looking out for the safety of tourists and the local businesses that the revenue they bring support"

Then I'd see if they actually air it, or spin it to say additional protection is needed for those poor cute sea-puppies that have to go into the dangerous water.
"What eats sea lions? Great white, hammerhead and blue sharks, as well as orcas, occasionally hunt sea lions." See, https://www.dolphins.org/kids_sea_lion_facts
Molten Furnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #91
ccacher1

Can't figure out how to embed this youtube video but this news anchor's face is PRICELESS after he watches the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZJI2JztCE
Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #92
DanaPT

GWS are the real deal. That one is huge. If you run into that... call the media.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #93
StinkyMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I just saw the video.............if that shark was aggressive than the one that bumped Tony last week needs to get the chair.
A shark bumped Tony?

Where is that shark....I want to send him a thank you card on Tony's behalf.......

Tony has not been "bumped"for a long.....long....long time.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #94
Zed
BANNED

*SNAP*
Old 09-06-2015, 05:46 AM   #95
mclanea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
When I landed yesterday around 2:15 pm, as I was dragging my kayak out of the water, I was approached by Hannah Mullins (a reporter with 10 news and her cameraman). She first asks me if I caught anything, I said nothing I wanted to keep. Then she asks if I saw any sharks any hammer heads, I said not today. She ask if I had seen them before and I say, Ya, they have been around for a couple months now. She asks surprised, a couple months. I said about couple months. but only now did anybody bring it up. I said we've seen a lot of other sharks that are a lot more dangerous than a hammer heads. She sounds interested and ask me if I want to chat about it. I said no, she sounds surprised and says, No. I said not really, I think it's been written about too much already, and people just misinterpret it. She looks puzzled and says good bye and walks away. I wonder what they would think, if we started talking about the GW's and Makos we have seen or hooked up, really close to the buoys the swimmers like to swim to on their way to the pier or shores everyday. I think the swimmers are the ones that are nuts, swimming in their area and close to so many seals. I think the last thing we need is the public to think the kayak fishermen are the ones responsible for the shark when they have been in the area all along. I mean it's their back yard and we are all just passing through. Enjoy the beauty of seeing then and leave them alone.

Thank you for this post. LJ isn't a park, it's the ocean.

mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #96
Ednjenn
Junior

Story out this AM of some YT kayak fishing north of Ventura.... 10 ft HH bit kayaker's foot and they airlifted him. Cited our beach closure is stories....
Ednjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #97
HELLSTER INC.

I hooked that damn hammerhead 3 times yesterday and the 3rd time he wrapped the braid around mirage drive and sliced it. Sharks are getting to be as bad as the seals!
Hear is a little video of the culprit...
https://youtu.be/e2dBB0wS8e0

Name:  11952001_10204884970185035_3363968948166541598_n.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  64.2 KB
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #98
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSTER INC. View Post
I hooked that damn hammerhead 3 times yesterday and the 3rd time he wrapped the braid around mirage drive and sliced it. Sharks are getting to be as bad as the seals!
Hear is a little video of the culprit...
https://youtu.be/e2dBB0wS8e0

Attachment 16796

That totally sucks!!

Yesterday I was dragging bait across the canyon and got bite, as soon as I tried to set the hook the line went limp.........wtf? I start to reel hoping that the fish swam towards me but the whole time I had no pressure on the line. As soon as I pulled my line out the I noticed it was completely fraid, not wanting to know what it was I kept going.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #99
bracks

Saturday AM 9/5, I went with my family to the cove so the kids could play. I wish I had my phone (camera) as one of the sea lions laying out had a perfect series of gashes in a semi-circle on its back. Looked to be about a 12 inch bite, so perhaps a juvenile (?).
bracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #100
HELLSTER INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
That totally sucks!!

Yesterday I was dragging bait across the canyon and got bite, as soon as I tried to set the hook the line went limp.........wtf? I start to reel hoping that the fish swam towards me but the whole time I had no pressure on the line. As soon as I pulled my line out the I noticed it was completely fraid, not wanting to know what it was I kept going.
You guys get anything?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote